Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 — February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

current TV show

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

Robyn Rowell February 6, 2013 at 12:30 am

This is devastating !!!!!

Kris February 6, 2013 at 12:24 am

Please do not cancel Emily Owens MD. Absolutely love the show. Haven’t missed an episode. Why do networks cancel quality shows like Emily Owens M.D. Please reconsider and keep the series going.

sandy lear February 6, 2013 at 12:20 am

The best new show in a long time. CW is ridiculous for cancelling it. It was in the wrong time slot all along. should have been on at 8pm and would have been huge. No promotion, wrong time slot. I could have done a better job with this show. I’m a Nurse!!!

Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 3:05 am

I enjoy this show very much. I’m sorry the network is chosing to cancel the show.
I imagine it’s a guy decision to cancel.

Please Do Not Cancel Emily Owens MD. Absolutely Love The Show. February 6, 2013 at 12:18 am

Cancelled

Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 12:14 am

Please Renew this show!!!! It’s too good to be cancelled!!!! :(((((

Loyal Watcher February 6, 2013 at 12:10 am

PLEASE don’t cancel this show. It is so enjoyable to watch something that is not about a cop, a vampire, or politics. Just something to make you laugh and relax. PLEASE don’t cancel.

Patti B. February 5, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW. Please don’t let this one slip away.

Debra February 5, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I think the show is refreshing. A cross btween Scrubs and Greys Anatomy.

Kelsi February 5, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Please, please, PLEASE don’t cancel!!!! I LOVE this show!!!

One more Fan February 5, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Guess the new norm in tv shows are vampires, violence, smut, drugs–all good, wholesome family-type shows right? Too bad, Emily Owens MD is cancelled.

Anonymous February 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Really great show made me laugh out loud. Renew it please!!!

Amy February 5, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I am soooo sad to hear this show is cancelled! It has become one of my favorites. I look forward to it each week and now it’s gone. No good!!’n

Lani February 5, 2013 at 10:15 pm

OMG, Emily and Will!! I thought for sure she was going to land up with Micah! I know Will is her best friend, but he is flaky. I really wanted her and Micah to land up together. Darn, I am REALLY going to miss this show. I keep thinking of all the great episodes they could have written. Why did they cancel this GREAT show?? :'(
BRING IT BACK!!!!