Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 — February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.

Series Finale:
Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

748 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Linda says

I am SO SICK of GOOD shows being cancelled!
    Why not get rid of most if not all of the shows that have Blood and Guns and Death in it…also most of the stupid reality shows. Except maybe Wife Swap and I’d like to see Tori and Dean again.
    I really liked this show…it had Heart and Humor and Romance in it! What is this world coming to when Good shows go off and the garbage and bad taste lives on!
    Idiots!!!

2. Sandy Mulloy says

Emily Owens, MD was a wonderful show. Both my husband and I enjoyed it. There was lots of great acting. I sure hope it will come back!

3. Michele says

How is it possible that they cancel Emily Owens, MD?? I think it was one of the best shows on television. In one season, I looked more forward to watching that than ANY other show. It was a pleasant alternative to reality television. The characters were well developed. This show just had it ALL!! PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

4. Marlene says

I enjoyed watching Mamie! She is adorable!!! I’m sure she will be back with something else.
    However, it was a disappointment that this show was not continued. I liked it; I also looked forward to the next show. Good balance of comedy and drama.

5. Vivian Waring says

I like the show very much? They always seem to cancel the ones I do like. This isn’t a freakishly weird show like some new ones. We need variety PLEASE!

6. says

I love this show its the best It must be renewed
    BRING IT BACK
    It’s a full of laughter it’s my new scrubs and I would be happy if it was brought back

7. Amie says

I usually watch PBS shows. Emily Owens is the only other show I watch, and I miss it already. All I can say is: bummer, Gummer.

8. Donica says

It is a great show.
    I don’t understand why it was cancelled.
    Hope your reconsider and bring it back.
    I miss it.

9. says

I loved the show…..PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!! This show has more real life experiences than many other shows that drone on and on. Great job Marie!!

10. Dee says

I was very disappointed to see it cancelled, it was one of the best shows on television and I would love to see it come back next year

11. Barb says

I would love for this show to return! I always looked forward to Tuesdays on the CW with “Hart of Dixie” and “Emily Owen”. I was even spreading the word to let others know to watch this show. I related to the feelings and emotions of Emily. The reality shows and vampire shows don’t interest me. I look forward to a good story line and some laughts after living the “reality” of the work day. The characters on this show were great (we all can connect each character to some person we personally know) and the acting was superb. “Cheers” didn’t have a great audience the first year it was on either, and look at what a classic it is today. Please give “Emily Owen” another chance and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

12. Jackie says

BRING IT BACK, It was not too serious and fun, I looked forward to the show each week, It had to be a man who cancelled the show because they have no sense of what is good. give it another chance I bet you will not be sorry.