Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 – February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

current TV show

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

JB Miller April 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Very disappointed to see series cancelled – For once – minimal violence and as a medical professional – I enjoyed watching the medical senarios develop and resolve – wish it was still on the air!!!

Morgan B. April 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I really wish they would reconsider bringing back Emily Owens M.D.. I truly enjoyed watching this show each and every week. It seems every time I really get interested in a show, the network takes it among themselves to cancel the series. It’s a shame.

yo April 9, 2013 at 12:23 am

RENEW PLEASE

judi April 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm

So disappointed to see a show i actually enjoyed be cancelled. Emily Owens was one of the few shows that had interesting dialogue, believable characters and little to no violence. It’s sad that a show that does not have an adult rating, crash scenes, nudity or profanity is a dud in America.

Alice April 8, 2013 at 9:12 am

I loved this show. I got really attached to the characters and was sad to see it end.

Keri April 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm

My husband and I looked forward to watching this show every week! And it was starting to get REALLY good with Emily “getting” both guys…what a shame! Yet the bachelor and how many music “reality” shows keep on going!

Kristin April 7, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I agree. I really enjoyed this show. It is so much better than the reality TV shows, but they always cancel all the good shows. I am very disappointed!

Kimberly Miller April 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm

This blows…why do they always cancel the really good shows? I haven’t been into a t.v. show in so long and I finally found this one and now it’s gone. I agree with the comment above…Stupidity like The Bachelor stays on the air but a really good show like this one they dangle in front of us and take it away just when we are hooked.

Anonymous April 6, 2013 at 1:47 am

Amen. I agree.

linda April 5, 2013 at 7:07 am

What a shame! Why is it that the truely interesting shows are always canceled? My daughter is 28 and when I told her to watch the show, she really looked forward to it each week.
I love the actress that plays Emily. Soooo disappointed to have it canceled.

Kathy April 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Emily Owens is played by Meryl Streeps daughter. Very good actress.

suzanna April 3, 2013 at 10:19 pm

im extremely upset to find this out im soooooooooooooo mad

Roxanne April 3, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Excellent show should have never been canceled. Seems like they always take off the good shows.

Linda Minor April 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Emily Owens cancelled, what a shame. Really enjoyed watching it and just loved Emily. Sick of the stupid reality shows and bet you kept the Mindy Project? That is a waste of time.

linda April 5, 2013 at 7:08 am

Agree totally!!

Kathy April 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I agree!

Amber April 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm

What?! How could they do this? Emily Owens was such a great show! And by great, I don’t mean like the stupid shows that air now n’ days. To get rid of a more decent show like this is a horrible loss. I really enjoyed the show, and I hope by some chance it will air again.

Barbara Darton April 2, 2013 at 6:53 pm

My husband and I really enjoyed the show, especially since she was Merle Streep’s daughter. There was no indication that the show was going to be cancelled! Too bad.

rob April 2, 2013 at 1:25 pm

My Lady and I love Emily Owens MD. One of the most enjoyable shows we’ve seen in years! Come on people, pay attention…