Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 — February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

current TV show

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

Gal from Cal December 30, 2012 at 1:38 am

Please, please renew this show! It is so good and each character is so likable, yet flawed. I love it and want to see it renewed!

Samantha December 28, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Please Renew!! I really enjoy watching the show!

Patsy Elephantlover December 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I love this show! PLEASE renew. Mamie has so many of her mom’s characteristics, yet she stands on her on as an outstanding, and funny actress! The whole cast is great, but Mamie is my favorite!!!! I am sure Meryl is very happy to see how well she is doing.

PLEASE RENEW!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa December 27, 2012 at 9:30 pm

This is a great show. It is a feel good show. No violence, just super entertaining. Emily is lovely and love able. It makes for great Tv…..please, we won’t to see more

Donna December 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Please renew, i really enjoyed this show!

Ann December 26, 2012 at 3:08 am

Renewed

J December 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I hope that this show is renewed. There are so many shows on t.v. these days with no substance. It always baffles me when a show that should stay on the air is thrown out and reality shows, jersey shore, honey boo boo, etc. are allowed to remain. There’s something wrong with this picture.

Maddie January 2, 2013 at 2:25 am

I agree, please renew. There is so much crap on TV anymore with all the reality shows. I hardly ever just watch TV anymore. I DVR good programs like this one and watch later.
I wish a Gifted Man would come back too.
TV stinks anymore. Get rid of all the reality show.

Deborah Sanders December 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I love the Emily Owens MD show, I don’t understand why they keep canceling all the good programs. Like A Gifted Man, I thought they canceled Saving Hope (That’s another good one) but my sister said that one is coming back. I really wish they would bring Emily Owens back.

SheriBeri December 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I really enjoyed this show and would love to see more episodes. It’s a little like Grey’s Anatomy but the characters seem more like real people, people I can relate to. I really like the dynamics of the relationships and friendships. I wish the networks wouldn’t be so quick to cancel shows.

Donna December 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Please renew!

Audrey Whitehead December 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm

You didn’t give this show a chance. It was so much better than all the crap that’s on TV.
Bring it back!

mary December 18, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I realy like this show. It feels real. very good cast too. I’m shocked if it will be canceled. Please renew this show.

Jan December 17, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This is one of my favorite new shows. Shocked to hear it will cancelled. Please renew this show

Anonymous December 17, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Please renew!!!

Mary Ann Kingsley December 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

I enjoy this series very much. Nice to see less barby like people and more plausible plots and people with the everyday nerd like personality most of us experience. Please keep this show going. Renew it.