Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 – February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

current TV show

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

Michelle October 16, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I get attached to so many shows! I loved this one and if a show is going to end DONT LEAVE IT ON A CLIFF HANGER it will enrage so many people like me and that is something no one wants! At least end the show on something other than a cliff hanger!

Michelle October 13, 2013 at 10:08 am

I am just now seeing this was canceled. I am sick that I could not find out what happened after the cliff hanger, season finale. I am sick and tired of shows being canceled after I get into them? I am going to end up not watching new shows if this continues to happen….

Kelly Wong October 13, 2013 at 2:32 am

I like this show. I want season 2.

Emma October 5, 2013 at 11:49 am

How could u let such a positive show go? For what? More shows on wolves zombies or whatever the fad if? What’s next , r u start playing all reality shows too like all those network Chanel’s? Please contine to show great positive programs & start by bringing this one back!

Kathy October 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I loved this show and can’t believe they take all the good shows off the air. I have been waiting for it to start season two and then discovered that it had been cancelled. We have enough of those stupid reality shows on, this show was great. Please bring it back.

Melanie October 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I love this show!! Please bring it back!!

christine buchan October 2, 2013 at 6:56 am

Can’t believe they have cancelled this brilliant show.I loved the will she won’t she element and i want to know what happens with her an Will and Micah. I really cared about the characters.Why do TV execs cancel the good programmes and keep the rotten ones!!!

Melissa September 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I really enjoyed this show. It was the next Grey Anomity. Which we all know was the biggest hit. Please bring it back~

Susie LeGate September 20, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW!! I can’t believe it got cancelled!! What do network execs know?? Not much, evidently …

Susie LeGate September 20, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW!! I can’t believe they cancelled it! The acting was great, the writing was great … What do network execs know? Not much, evidently …

Angela September 20, 2013 at 5:46 am

I love the show!……Please please please make another series.I was stunned when I read it had been cancelled!

tauna September 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I am very sad to hear that the show has been cancelled. It had great creatures and plots and left you wanting to know what was going to happen next. Now it is going to leave me wondering….

Anonymous September 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I am sick! I actually loved this show and the characters. So sad that I don’t get to know if Emily actually truly falls for Micah . So sad

Terry September 1, 2013 at 8:58 am

Loved the show over all the others on CW network. Hate to find out it’s been canceled!

Kiki August 31, 2013 at 10:42 am

I love ‘Emily Owen,MD’ so much. The actors and actresses are all great.Most importantly, my friends and I do love the story plot. I really hope there will be a season 2! Love Emily! Love Micah!Love Wil!