Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 — February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

current TV show

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

sharon feldman November 6, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I really enjoyed this show. It has depth of character and psychological situations. It’s characters are wonderful to watch and it is well written and smart. One can think about things in their own lives and come to new choices. I like so many of the other respondents watched all the shows at once on Netflix. It is heartwarming with richness of what is good about humanity.

Linda Creel November 5, 2013 at 10:40 am

I am amazed how some shows are cancelled an then others are so painfully pulled through unthinkable episodes while we hold out hope that after years, we will not let the boredom get us. Agonizing death so some series that should have never had a final season.

Amanda November 4, 2013 at 6:12 am

I started watching this show a little while it was on tv but with a busy work schedule I wasn’t able to keep up. Once I saw it on netflix I was super excited and watched all 13 episodes in 2 days. I decided to google it to see when it was starting and I was so sad to see it had been cancelled. Please bring it back! I love all of the characters and it’s honestly the only doctor type show I like!

JD November 4, 2013 at 5:56 am

Emily Owens, MD was great. Can’t believe it is cancelled. Finally a good family show and it only lasts a short time. I just don’t understand the TV industry. They need to reconsider this one and bring it back.

jerome November 4, 2013 at 3:05 am

Is anyone else pissed off that there is no season two or is it just me I loved the show I’m an upcoming medical student and this show has helped me alot. Morally and medically. I’m so pissed there’s not a second season. This show really had potential I clearly don’t see why greya anatomy had like a billion season and Emily Owens MD couldn’t have at least a second season. Disappointed

Ssophiajones35 November 3, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I feel in love with this series I watched all 13 episode in a day please make another series this was an amazing show I was in grad school and watched this and now I’m in my 2nd year of med school because this series inspired me to become a doctor I will be gradualing in 2020 so please renew the series.

Erika November 3, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I thought that this show was super funny and fun to watch. I haven’t laughed this hard in a while. I wish they would renew it.

Margaret November 2, 2013 at 1:37 am

I really love and enjoy the show.How often you can say this? I would like a lot to see the next season coming to our homes this year.

Brenda November 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm

best surgeons show on air, most realistic medical show since St. Elsewhere! Coming from a real life scrub nurse, and that’s saying something, season 2 bring it on!!!!!!!

PAM October 30, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I enjoyed this show. It grew the characters like a book. Emily Owen was a great doctor and a great character in the show. Her nemesis did not defeat her. What an example to those of our fellows who are bullied through undergrad. This show needs to be re-instated.

trish reichard October 30, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I love this show so dose my husband we just spent 2days on net-filcks watching all the 1 season it left us wanting more I hope that this will help it get renewed !!!

Anonymous October 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Enjoyable TV show. I would not have cancelled it. Please renew!

Lon October 29, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Great show. Going to miss.

Katy October 21, 2013 at 8:28 am

Im really starting to get in to this show as I could even go as far as saying I get excited knowing that Monday evening I get to catch up on the lastest of Emily Owens love mishaps.
I would really like for this show to continue with a second season please. It is well worth watching :)
From a fan

Anonymous October 18, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I really liked this show and you could relate to the characters. I would like season 2! I also, didn’t know the show was cancelled until just now:(