Empire: FOX Orders Hip Hop Family Drama for 2014-15

Empire TV show on FOXFOX has ordered yet another new TV show for the 2014-15 season. Empire revolves around the world of hip hop with Terrence Howard starring as industry heavyweight Lucious Lyon. He’s a tough but wise patriarchal figure.

The show’s cast will also include Taraji P. Henson, Gabourey Sidibe, Trai Byers, Kaitlin Doubleday, Grace Gealey, Bryshere ‘Yazz the Greatest’ Gray, Jussie Smollett and Malik Yoba.

Here’s more information from FOX:

EMPIRE – Imagine Entertainment, in association with 20th Century Fox Television

· EP/Director/ Writer: Lee Daniels (“Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” “Precious”)

· EP/ Writer: Danny Strong (“Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” “Game Change”)

· EPs (non-writing): Brian Grazer (“24,” “Friday Night Lights”) and Francie Calfo (“Those Who Kill,” GANG RELATED)

· Description: Unique family drama set in the world of a hip-hop empire that will feature both original and current music.

No word on how many episodes have been ordered or when the series will air. We should know more in the coming week.

What do you think? Do you think that you might watch this FOX show next season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

16 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. AP says

Will NOT be watching Empire until the FOX network divests itself from the racist programming that it airs via commentators and their news

• Rena Moretti says

Excuse me while I LOLROTF…

SO you won’t watch something you might enjoy until FOX divests itself from the only part of its broadcasting company that makes lots of money just because you don’t like its editorial line…

Wow!!! How intolerant!!!

2. Trina says

I love this show. Sandra Rose talked about the show stereotyping black women as being angry and loud. She forgets about the whole story line. Cookie went to jail for years, for a man who divorced her and left her behind. She wasn’t allowed to raise or see her kids. I would be angry too. She was a business woman going in jail and now a pissed off business woman coming out of jail. The chemistry between the sort of low key Lucious and outspoken Cookie is great. I love the music and actors. I am glad to see Gabourey Sidibe back on the screen. She is a fighter. She don’t have to be the pretty girl. You go girl!! I will be watching this show, I don’t care what people say. It addresses issues in black society such as mental illness and homosexuality which no one seem to want to talk about out loud. Great job guys!!!

3. lew brown says

It was a great show. Although the premises of sick children is not an easy thing to bring up. This show handled it well. It tugged at your Heart, made you cry, made you laugh, and made you proud these children had big hearts and truley cared about one another. With each show they learned a life’s lesson and became better people be ause of it. Isn’t that something we wish all children would learn.Our family has chosen to purge any network that gets you hooked on a show then pulls it not giving it enough time to develop. Remember the show Cheers. It was at the bottom of the raitings after one year and look how that turned out.

4. Kathy Davis says

I will watch “Empire”. I like watching Terrance Howard in movies and T.V. shows. I liked him in “The Best Man Holiday”.

• Rena Moretti says

Amazingly most people watch TV shows to be entertained, not to support them… Watching something one does not enjoy is what you do when your kids are in it…

• Rena Moretti says

Almost Human is canceled?!! You mean Kevin Reilly finally dared cancel one of his flops?!!! Good for him!

5. Rena Moretti says

I agree with both other comments. Sounds dreadful. FOX needs to get new people picking their shows or they’ll have to keep spinning their flops forever.

• Anonymous says

Just because you don’t like Hip Hop doesn’t mean you have to insult it. I’m not the biggest fan either but I respect it as an art form.