Enlightened: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Three?

Enlightened HBO TV show canceled or renewed?This Sunday night marks the second season finale of Enlightened, HBO’s low-rated drama. Other than Curb Your Enthusiasm, Enlightened is the cable channel’s only scripted series whose fate is still up in the air. Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound & Down, Game of Thrones, Girls, The Newsroom, Treme, True Blood, and Veep will all be back for new seasons .

TVLine recently talked to Enlightened co-star and creator Mike White about the show’s fate:

So I saved the toughest question till the end: Will we get a Season 3 of Enlightened? Do you have a sense of which way the network is leaning?
To be totally honest, I usually have a gut about these things, but this time around I really feel like it could go either way. I felt like we had little chance of coming back as of just a few weeks ago. But it seems like in the last couple of weeks, we’ve had more people voicing their affection for the show. And internally at HBO, the executives themselves are big fans. I’ve met with them, and I know the pros and cons. I just hope that they’ll decide soon. All day long I’m being asked this question by journalists, by actors who are on the show, by people in my life. Psychologically, I’m either free as a bird or I have eight or 10 episodes of television to write as quickly as possible. It’s a lot to deal with. We’ve kind of been on the precipice for a while.

What do you think? Are you a fan of the series? Are you hoping that it’s renewed?

Canceled and renewed TV show

68 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Chris says

I’d like to see another season, but I’m wondering where do they go from here? They’ll have to come up with a fresh plot since Abaddon (however it’s spelled) is no longer in the picture, but I’m sure with Mike and Laura’s creativity ,they’ll come up with something good.

2. Wes says

I’m really pulling for Enlightened! I’m entertained, intrigued and inspired by the show. It’s smart thought-provoking and current.

Please renew!

3. Janet O'Riordan says

Please renew enlightened. It is one of the best shows on television, wonderful writing and acting. In an age of realit tv shows, it is a breath of fresh air.

4. TeddyL says

Yeah…this is a GREAT show. Folks that tuned out didn’t stick it out long enough…it grows on you like you won’t believe. Give it a second chance.

PLEASE don’t cancel HBO. SUCH a fine show!!

5. Ruth Costello says

I love this show! Laura Dern is fabulous as the quirky, in-your-face idealist. Beautifully written, great characters–HBO, this is a hit!

6. Rosaria Fazio says

I’m very saddened to hear that this might be the finale for Enlightened. I love the character of Laura Dern, especially when she’s talking with that slow soothing voice. I love al the characters! Please keep the show going, I was looking forward to see what she creates with her life, in a new journey. Great work Mike White!!!!

7. Susan Woody says

One of my absolute favorite shows…if not FAVORITE. Every character is so well written….and so tragically funny. Wonderful cast!!!

8. Janet Rozick says

Just started watching show this season and so love it and all the characters. Please bring it back for another season! Laura Dern is brilliant!

9. Moira Flynn says

Please bring back Enlightened. This is a great show. I love all of the characters, especially
    Amy, Tyler, and the Mother.