Enlightened: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Three?

Enlightened HBO TV show canceled or renewed?This Sunday night marks the second season finale of Enlightened, HBO’s low-rated drama. Other than Curb Your Enthusiasm, Enlightened is the cable channel’s only scripted series whose fate is still up in the air. Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound & Down, Game of Thrones, Girls, The Newsroom, Treme, True Blood, and Veep will all be back for new seasons .

TVLine recently talked to Enlightened co-star and creator Mike White about the show’s fate:

So I saved the toughest question till the end: Will we get a Season 3 of Enlightened? Do you have a sense of which way the network is leaning?
To be totally honest, I usually have a gut about these things, but this time around I really feel like it could go either way. I felt like we had little chance of coming back as of just a few weeks ago. But it seems like in the last couple of weeks, we’ve had more people voicing their affection for the show. And internally at HBO, the executives themselves are big fans. I’ve met with them, and I know the pros and cons. I just hope that they’ll decide soon. All day long I’m being asked this question by journalists, by actors who are on the show, by people in my life. Psychologically, I’m either free as a bird or I have eight or 10 episodes of television to write as quickly as possible. It’s a lot to deal with. We’ve kind of been on the precipice for a while.

What do you think? Are you a fan of the series? Are you hoping that it’s renewed?

andrea March 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I love this show! It is inspiring and the only show I know of that questions corporate America rather than pandering to it. Please let it keep going!

Claudia March 12, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Enlightened is one of the best shows on television. I have taped every episode so I don’t miss a single one. HBO ….. PLEASE don’t cancel this program. It’s one of the best on TV. Very ‘enlightening’.

Tracy March 12, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I hope it’s renewed… I love it

Jeannie March 12, 2013 at 9:54 am

Loved the show – well scripted, acted and directed. Always been a Laura Dern fan – she shows a depth of character to the role she plays. Need more intelligent television like this. Bring it on!

JandT March 12, 2013 at 1:20 am

Hubby and I are hoping that “Enlightened” will come back for at least a 3rd season. It would also be nice if the HBO Dish on Demand would allow us to record the “Mike White” talks at the end of every episode instead of just a “partial” of him. HBO please renew this show for 10 full episodes already!

Carole March 11, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Enlightened is one of the smartest shows on TV. I hope that it is renewed for a third season. There is so little good programming on television. It’s refreshing to watch something so well written and well acted.

Carol Teboe March 11, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Enlightened is one of the few reasons we have HBO, and I think this is one of the
BEST, quirkiest, FRESH and constantly overwhelmingly engrossing plotlines !!
Everything that just happened last week suddenly seems to be swallowed like quick-sand, and we viewers feel totally compelled to tune in for the next episode.
Not only is Laura Dern at her best,so is the script !!!!

Dan March 11, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Please being our friends back for season three. Our Sundays would be lost without them.

Ni-Boogie March 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I will say that this show started very slowly for me but it grew on me as time passed and the characters built. I’m not sure where you go from here but I would like to see it come back for another run. If not, I can live with this as a decent ending… I guess?

Matt March 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Please cancel this depressing crap they call a show.

Xnuiem March 15, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thank you for being the voice of reason.

Nina March 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm

It’s a wonderful show. Just brilliant.

casey March 10, 2013 at 2:12 pm

5 votes from this household to renew ‘Enlightened’. HBO, let this brilliant show keep evolving!

JL Robinson March 10, 2013 at 10:32 am

PLEASE give us a season three of Enlightened! This series is phenomenal and one of HBOs best-hands down!

David E. Rieken March 7, 2013 at 11:08 pm

“Enlightened” is the best thing on TV. The writing and acting are phenomenal. The season 2 finale ended and I said to my husband, “This is my favorite show, without a doubt.” Please, HBO, bring it back for a third season.

Mallory Marshall March 7, 2013 at 9:14 pm

HBO: Enlightened is another Sopranos….. Let the brilliant writers continue to develop complicated characters with all the subtle and not-so-subtle details the fine acting brings to the script. It needs to be promoted. The cast is outstanding. Let the East coast get get familiar with West coast in a real way. Mike White is a genius.

Rebekah March 7, 2013 at 7:00 pm

We love Enlightened and hope for Season 3 so start writing….