Eureka: Syfy Series Cancelled, No Season Six After All

Eureka canceled season sixLast week, when it was announced that Syfy had renewed Eureka for a sixth season of just a half dozen episodes, there were reports and speculation that the cable channel was ending the TV series.

Syfy programming head Mark Stern assured Eureka fans that that this wasn’t the case and said, “Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia have brought a creative vitality to Eureka that has kept it fresh and inventive. Although we do not have a commitment beyond six episodes for the sixth season, we are hopeful that this will not be the end of the franchise.”

Now, the cable channel has changed their tune completely. Syfy has now cancelled plans for a sixth season of Eureka entirely. On top of that, it doesn’t sound very likely that a spin-off or other continuation are in the works either. The cast and crew are currently finishing up shooting season five and that will be the end of the TV show.

The cable channel has released this statement regarding the cancellation: “After painstaking consideration, we have had to make the difficult business decision to not order a season six of Eureka. But Eureka is not over yet. There is a new holiday episode this December and 12 stellar episodes set to debut next year, marking its fifth season and six memorable years on Syfy. The 2012 episodes are some of the best we’ve seen, and will bring this great series to a satisfying end. We are very grateful to Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia, their team of incredible writers, and an amazing cast and crew who have consistently delivered a series we continue to be very proud of. We thank the fans for their support of this show and know they will enjoy its final season in 2012.”

It sounds like the writers have had time to craft a series finale for Eureka but we’ll have to wait until it airs next summer before we know if it’s a satisfying one.

What do you think? Are you sad to hear that Eureka has been cancelled? Do you think you’ll be satisfied by the series finale?

Steve August 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I’m pissed that eureka is finished at 2013 really sux wat happen 2 Allison n sheriff carter bring more seasons a lot of people will be happy even me dnt stop

Eureka Addict September 28, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Please bring back this series! Television is full of sitcoms that mirror everyday life, this was something brilliant and new in each episode. Creativity the way television should be to inspire humans to live and dream more than the mundane of everyday life as we already live it. It is such a shame that it is the cost that would stop producers from continuing to promote quality programming- we are doomed to with low cost uninspiring cop shows…

Ken July 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

The season was pretty good, a lot of relationship answers but I do not understand ending the series with as obvious a hint at more to come than this one. Why would you save GD and the town in stead of everyone heading their own directions. It looks like you have spinoff with Holly and Fargo and then more good excitement for the sheriff and friends.

Please bring it back!

Kenneth July 17, 2012 at 5:46 am

the end of the finale left it wide open you cant end it like that dont cancel a great show i mean henry head of gd, allison and carter expecting and joe and zane getting married and trevor from the past now owning gd a member of the origonal spy network you guys are nuts or are u just teasing us ?

Victoria February 28, 2012 at 11:25 am

This is a good show, please please dont canel it. This show made me like science again. Please reconsider.

Sabra January 2, 2012 at 1:03 am

They can not cancel Eureka. I stumbled across this show on Netflix when I was doing my homework and needed to drown out the kids and my husband. I was addicted and could not watch it while doing my homework. I have been watching it at night after homework to get caught up. I got mad at Alison and Carter I threw the eraser and sticky notes at my TV. My husband sat there and laughed at me.
Why is it that when I get addicted to a GREAT new show they end up cancelling it? They wonder why they can not hold ratings for shows and that is because they cancel the good ones. This is not going to improve the ratings of the other shows this is only going to make the ratings drop. Specially if there are so many people that turn into the SyFy Network just for this show and end up watching the other ones. If this show is not there then the others are going to fail. Chang the aspect. I guarantee, the next series they “think” will be a “hit”, won’t keep the steady ratings that Eureka has. DON’T CANCEL THE SHOW.