Eureka: Syfy Series Cancelled, No Season Six After All

Eureka canceled season sixLast week, when it was announced that Syfy had renewed Eureka for a sixth season of just a half dozen episodes, there were reports and speculation that the cable channel was ending the TV series.

Syfy programming head Mark Stern assured Eureka fans that that this wasn’t the case and said, “Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia have brought a creative vitality to Eureka that has kept it fresh and inventive. Although we do not have a commitment beyond six episodes for the sixth season, we are hopeful that this will not be the end of the franchise.”

Now, the cable channel has changed their tune completely. Syfy has now cancelled plans for a sixth season of Eureka entirely. On top of that, it doesn’t sound very likely that a spin-off or other continuation are in the works either. The cast and crew are currently finishing up shooting season five and that will be the end of the TV show.

The cable channel has released this statement regarding the cancellation: “After painstaking consideration, we have had to make the difficult business decision to not order a season six of Eureka. But Eureka is not over yet. There is a new holiday episode this December and 12 stellar episodes set to debut next year, marking its fifth season and six memorable years on Syfy. The 2012 episodes are some of the best we’ve seen, and will bring this great series to a satisfying end. We are very grateful to Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia, their team of incredible writers, and an amazing cast and crew who have consistently delivered a series we continue to be very proud of. We thank the fans for their support of this show and know they will enjoy its final season in 2012.”

It sounds like the writers have had time to craft a series finale for Eureka but we’ll have to wait until it airs next summer before we know if it’s a satisfying one.

What do you think? Are you sad to hear that Eureka has been cancelled? Do you think you’ll be satisfied by the series finale?

Gary Sprague December 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

The cancellation of Eureka really sucks. Finally someone creates a TV show that is thought provoking, humorous and family entertaining and it gets shoved away. A show that is of this caliber is apparently too right minded for the sponsors to realize that it is just great entertainment. Our household is very sad to see it come to an end. My only hope is that it will follow in the path of Star Trek and go into movie production. We love the cast and show theme and will welcome any further efforts.

joy November 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm

The show Eureka was a delightful show that provided entertainment and rest from the realities of life. It is unfortunate that the tv producers would rather focus on the violent blood thirsty shows rather than light hearted fun.

Rick October 16, 2011 at 6:15 pm

That sucks another good show gone, just like Human Target another fav gone and I heard the same for Chuck??

Donna Iler October 11, 2011 at 9:42 am

Eureka is the only show we actually watch together and look forward to. It is a really good show that keeps us guessing. And its the only show that we dont fall asleep watching! Everytime they come up with a good show, they cancel it! Only means our TV gets used less and less!!

Jarrad October 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

I have just got into Eureka over the last 3 years. I was going to download or buy the first 2 seasona because I loved this show so much! I cannot fathom why a show that seems everyone loves will be cancelled. PLEASE RE-THINK THIS DECEISION!

I waited along with my entire family thru the horrible shows throughout the year just to get to summer to watch Eureka, if this show is too expensive then may I suggest selling the show to the CW or another channel? I am sure they would buy this in a heart beat!!!

claudia September 24, 2011 at 12:13 pm

PLEASE………….DO NOT CANCELLED EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ggb September 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm

PLEASE………….DO NOT CANCELLED EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eureka lover September 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I love the show it is the only show i have ever spent money on for dvds and merch. syfy is really messing up getting rid of such a great show. the only show in years to captivate me and actually keep my attention. I say start a petition for more seasons. Please syfy pick up more seasons!!! i dont want to be bored with battle star and the other crap yall have on!!!

Athynz September 4, 2011 at 7:54 am

This just gives me one more reason – as if I didn’t have enough – to despise Comcast. Comcast bought SyFy and dictated the change.

Jim Oliver September 3, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Now let me get this straight. SyFy is cancelling their best show which leaves us with what? Yet more re-runs of Stargate which is already at it’s ad-nauseum peak and more insipid grade school trash like Mega-Dildo vs. The Giant Butt-Hole. Your programming department is a joke. The majority of of your lineup is already trash. Who does your programming? NBC?

karrey ocasio August 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I love Eureka! my husband look forward to watching it each week.It seems every time i get into any ScyFy show and then it gets canned.This sucks.

Too bad August 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm

At least now I can mark my calendar for the exact day I remove SyFy from my channel line-up. Tuning in to watch Eureka also got me watching Warehouse 13, Alphas and several other shows preceding/following Eureka. None of these shows are worth watching without Eureka accompaniment. Sorry SyFy, you just lost a single, professional, male age 25-35 with disposable income to spend on DvDs, merchandise and the non-essentials your advertisers pitch. I’m sure advertisers will flock to your network now that you have turned your attention to the already over saturated ghost show and wrestling markets. Perhaps you should stick to advertising for prestigious business schools like the University of Phoenix rather than hiring their graduates as your programming executives?

jerry August 13, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Right now it was the only show that I looked forward to and for it to be cancelled was the pits. There are to many shows on the syfy that need to get cancelled. Syfy you separate the seasons for a few years and we still wait for its return with excitement. Now you cancel it. WHY? You tell us there will be a part of a 6th season and then yank that out from under us. I feel like after Eureka is off, I will stop watching the syfy channel. Rethink its cancellation.

Amy August 13, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I CANNOT believe that they canceled Eureka!!! this is heartbreaking. This has been a show that we’ve been able to watch with the whold family. It’s amazing how “Hollywood Execs” can cancel one of the highest rated shows on a whim.

Patti August 12, 2011 at 9:51 am

Well, I am glad that they did not just abruptly cancel the show without bringing closure to the characters and the story line. I will miss the show, but there is the Christmas show and last episodes scheduled to air next year. Hopefully, they will do justice to the show.

Katelyn August 12, 2011 at 11:53 am

Unfortunately, Patti, they will not be able to bring much closure to the characters or storyline. Eureka was in the process of filming the season 6 finale when they received notification that they were cancelled. They decided to make 1 extra episode to wrap up the show, but 1 episode cannot bring so much closure.