Eureka: Syfy TV Show Renewed for Season Five

EurekaA staple of cable TV for the past four seasons, Syfy has officially renewed Eureka for a fifth year.

The TV show revolves around a top-secret community that’s home to the nation’s most brilliant scientists (and their families) so they can be free to work on new inventions. The cast has included Colin Ferguson, Salli Richardson, Joe Morton, Jordan Hinson, Erica Cerra, Neil Grayston, Ed Quinn, Chris Gauthier, Debrah Farentino, Matt Frewer, and Niall Matter.

Here’s the official press releases about the renewal…

SYFY PICKS UP HIT SERIES EUREKA FOR 5th SEASON

NEW YORK, NY – August 17, 2010 – Syfy is greenlighting its hit original dramedy Eureka for a 5th season, it was announced today by Mark Stern, Executive Vice President of Original Programming, Syfy and Co-Head of Content for Universal Cable Productions, which produces the series.

Eureka seems like any other cozy, Pacific Northwest town, but is actually a secret community of geniuses assembled by the government to conduct top-secret research. What they’ve unwittingly created is a place where anything imaginable can happen… and does. Eureka stars Colin Ferguson, Salli Richardson-Whitfield, Joe Morton, Erica Cerra, Neil Grayston, Niall Matter, James Callis and features Jordon Hinson. Co-creator Jaime Paglia and Bruce Miller are Executive Producers.

Since Eureka’s 4th season premiere on July 9, 2010, and with the most recent Live +7 data factored in, the show is averaging a 2.2 HH rating and more than 3 million total viewers per week (1,335 million Adults 18-49 and 1,531 million Adults 25-54).

In addition to great ratings, Eureka has also achieved new creative heights including: a time-altering storyline that has reset the series raising both the drama and stakes for the main characters; the addition of James Callis (Battlestar Galactica) as the new character ‘Dr. Charles Grant’; a first-ever crossover episode with Syfy’s Warehouse 13, a top-notch lineup of special guest stars including Ming-Na, Jaime Ray Newman, Ed Quinn, Wil Wheaton, Jamie Kennedy, Chris Parnell, Matt Frewer and Felicia Day; and a recently announced holiday episode slated to air in December.

“Eureka remains a steadfast performer for Syfy with its superb cast and perfect blend of drama, comedy and eye candy,” said Stern. “Given what Jaime, Bruce and their entire team have done collectively to reinvent the show this year, we can’t wait to see what’s in store for season 5.”

Eureka airs Friday nights at 9:00PM ET/PT on Syfy.

About Universal Cable Productions
Universal Cable Productions creates quality content across multiple media platforms for USA, Syfy and other networks. A leader in innovative and critically acclaimed programming, UCP is the studio behind USA’s Royal Pains, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Psych, In Plain Sight, Covert Affairs and Facing Kate, along with Syfy’s Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Caprica. The studio also produced both long-running series Monk and Battlestar Galactica. UCP is a division of NBC Universal.

About Syfy
Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in more than 96 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy – Imagine greater.).

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Eureka will be coming back?

carol August 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I love this show, they best not ever cancell it!!!

Dave from Cottage Grove, WIS August 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I really like Eureka. This is easily one of the best serial programs in my lifetime. WEll done, good acting, good story line, etc. It has all of the elements needed for success: A little comedy, a little romance, some great special effects, some ‘science’ thrown-in for good measure, a few continuing story lines to maintain continuity of the characters. It is just hard to find a better show. I am a PE with degrees in physics and engineering, and have always had an eye for the ‘fringe’ stuff. Eureka keeps me interested. The science isn’t always right, but it’s fun! I love it. Please keep it on.

Carlye July 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Eureka is one of the best shows I have EVER seen. I fell in love with it from the first episode, and have followed it faithfully since, have all the dvds, and had to replace the first season finally. It’s one of the only truly original shows around (Warehouse 13 too) and the cast and characters are wonderful. I’d love to see the Artifact again, it was a crazy, weird “character” and had so many possibilities! Also, Matt Frewer, Ed Quinn, and Tamlyn Tomita, complex people with believably strange agendas, (ok, Tomita’s agenda wasn’t strange, but she’s one of my favorite actors ever!). James Callis is a fine actor, but I hate his character, he really doesn’t add anything to the show, in my opinion. Now, Callum Keith Rennie? He would add a great energy and hint of madness and wonderful chaos to a show that seems to be struggling to find it’s center again. LOVED the crossover, Allison Scagliotti is absolutely fantastic! She’s one to watch, for sure!!! Ok, to sum up, Find your muse again. And for heaven’s sake, let’s have a REAL season! Eight episodes is fine for a show just starting out, but face it guys, it’s a teaser season. You have real fans, faithful ones, don’t force us into other pursuits to fill our hours! You at the networks know better than most, once people give up a show they really love, it’s almost impossible to get them back. It’s been two years since sci-fi became Sy-Fy, get your act together already!

Anthony L. Caputo June 13, 2011 at 6:39 am

Great show wish there were more epsodes per season ,like 26 instead of 13 . Then repeats until the next season airs .

michael lannen May 14, 2011 at 9:39 am

love the return of Eureka harries law and wearhouse 13,. All are class act showes that the network should be estatic to be envolved in. kootos

d erney April 26, 2011 at 9:29 am

Hulu.com is a great site to watch favorite shows. I actually started watching this with netflix then got season 4 from Hulu.

Lee Arlan April 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Yes, I am very glad it is coming back. why can we not get return dates on Eureka, Warehouse 13, Haven, and Harry’s Law.

Ken Lichon April 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Finally. The only really intelligent Sfi program (maybe Warehouse 13 too) left is coming back. I HOPE. But I agee: SFI channel has reached below bottom with their movies. I rate it F for failure. They could run Eureka, Star Trek, Lost in Space (funny/silly/ok) and others and leave the junk for someone else.

LMB April 11, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love this show-it’s a sweet blend of comedy, romance and sci-fi, and to my profound amazement, never gets boring. The character development is great, as too, the relationships between them. Have watched this from the beginning and it’s one of the few shows I enjoy and look forward to. DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!

Lunaseacrone April 6, 2011 at 9:23 pm

More Taggart (Matt Frewer)!!!!

Pop April 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Like some i get frustrated with these shows that only have 5-6 episodes then disappear for another 6 months before picking back up where they left off. BUT…on-the-other-hand..I won’t miss Eureka for any reason.

Michele April 3, 2011 at 10:54 am

love Eureka hate that I have to wait. Was hoping Syfy would bring back Kyle XY and add some new ones. I hate the stupid movies that Syfy plays on saturday night. I wish there was a channel that would play 24/7 back to back episodes of these series/

Elaine M March 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Love Eureka….but why do we have to wait until July for new “season” to start??? SyFy’s “original” movies are terrible…my husband and I call them the “Saturday nite Dgrade movies

abbeyelaine March 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

i lov e this show.I have watched it from the beginning,glad to hear i will see more in the summer of 2011

crankyoldbitch March 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I always assume this show has been cancelled. Why should I wait from Dec. to July for new eps, when there’s so much other content available? I really wish there was another sci-fi oriented channel that aired programs like Eureka and Warehouse 13 without all the stupid reality crap, and D grade movies.