Everybody Hates Chris: CW Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Five

Everybody Hates ChrisIn the network’s commitment to get out of the “sitcom business,” the CW has cancelled Everybody Hates Chris. There won’t be a fifth season but luckily series creator Chris Rock beat them to the punch.

Everybody Hates Chris is loosely based on Rock’s early life and features Tyler James Williams, Terry Crews, Tequan Richmond, Tichina Arnold, Imani Hakim, and Vincent Martella.

The show’s been around for four seasons and its viewership has been in decline for awhile. It certainly didn’t help that, this season, the CW decided to strand the sitcom on little-watched Friday nights. Added to the fact that Chris doesn’t exactly match the network’s targeted demographic, it was obvious that the show’s days were numbered.

Rather than take a chance on not being able to give the show a proper ending, Rock decided to finish the show on his own terms. The season four finale revolves around Chris dropping out of high school, just as Rock did in real life. If the series had returned for year five, it could have explored his journey to do stand-up but as it is, the season finale still works as a last episode. There’s even a not-so-subtle nod to the famous Sopranos finale at the end.

Williams is currently pursuing a film course at New York University and is satisfied with the final episode. He told TV Guide, “If it ends here, we ended it the right way.” Rock agreed, saying, “It might not be a bad way to go.”

Are you upset or glad that the show won’t be back for season five?

Canceled and renewed TV show

279 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. John says

ON Wikipedia it says

When Julius parks his truck, the camera closes up to the number 735 which is painted onto his truck. The number is implying 735 was Chris’s score, which means he did pass his GED (a 92 percent), considering GED is scored out of 800.

So he passed

2. Ally Williams says

I was very unhappy for the fact that the show didn’t continue i wish it can come back on . I watch reruns all the time and even if it didn’t finish i still wish we could have found out what he got on his G.E.D

3. kelly says

Honestly “Everybody hates Chris” was my favourite sitcom and for it to just end that way is just too sad… i mean what happens to Chris did he pass the GED test all the suspense,makes it worth for there being a season 5. ode to Everybody hates Chris!!! tragic that it had to come to an end

4. Invincible says

That show was incredible, it’s hilarious and best of all, it shows real life situations and valuable lessons. I loved every episode of it, pls let there be a fifth season.

5. Mitch Rinke says

Im so sad that they stoped, it was such a funny show, and entertaining. It is my faverite show ever and hopefully they make a comeback

6. Steve UK says

Why on Earth did they cancel this amazingly great show?!?! It is such a shame there won’t be a 5th season. If I had the money Chris, i’d pay all the production costs!

7. Sundoulos says

This show was one of the last real shows on TV. Even the quirky hyperbolic type scenes (such as Kill Moves driving a the Back to the Future car) catches the nostalgia of thought for that moment in time. It always takes me back to Brooklyn (when I use to visit my cousins in the summer in Bed-Stuy). I watch it everyday regardless (I have the whole series on DVD), but I think that it could teach this new generation the value of family, hard work & not giving up (even when the chips seem to all fall down). The respect that the kids had for their parents is something for these kids to emulate. It’s so much that I could say about this show & the man Chris Rock, but I think that his true genius is often overlooked, because he can present it in a way to make you laugh; if we really look at what’s being conveyed by Chris Rock, it’s more than enough to make you think…

8. Blue Cheese says

Im upset there wont be a fith series , but on the other hand Im glad that Chris Rock managed to end the show on his own terms .

9. Anonymous says

I REALLY wish this show came back!! my whole family LOVED every episode… they were so funny! also, i have never seen the last episode of this because out of all the episodes they play over and over, they never play the last episode! at least let that one play! :(

10. Elcio, Brasil says

Aqui no brasil essa série é um sucesso, acho que é uma das melhores séries do mundo, mas infelizmente foi cancelada…
    deixo aqui tambem meu pedido: faça a quinta temporada, por favor!!!

11. Benjamin from danmark says

It’s crap that they closed the series – i’ve ben watching it everytime, even if it’s the same show… if there’s a possibility to getting the show back, do it PLEASE!

12. Jonas from Brazil says

Here in Brazil, everybody loves the serie. I can’t understand why they cancelled the sitcom, it’s a real shame for who is responsable for that. At least they should give it a proper ending, explain the story. If they’re not interest in recording another season, write what happen next. The fans of the serie deserve it, we’re very curious about what happens to Julius, I heard that he died. And if this is true, how the Rocks made to survive without his two jobs.