Expedition Impossible: ABC Worldwide Competition; Cancel or Keep It?

Expedition Impossible cancel or keep?ABC recently unveiled a new reality competition series called Expedition Impossible. From Mark Burnett, the force behind Survivor and The Apprentice, the TV show bears more than a passing resemblance to CBS’ long-running The Amazing Race. Will this new series be as successful or will it be quickly cancelled instead?

Hosted by zoologist Dave Salmoni, Expedition Impossible follows 13 teams of three people racing through the great outdoors — across barren deserts and over snow-covered mountains. Each week, a new part of the expedition is revealed to the contestants and at least one team is eliminated from the competition. The winning trio of adventurers receives $50,000 each in prize money and a new Ford Explorer.

The TV series debuted on June 23rd to a 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.18 million viewers, airing opposite all repeats. That was a healthy premiere and Expedition Impossible was first in the timeslot for the demo and second in total viewership, behind CSI.

A week later, the demo numbers fell 25% to a 1.8 in the demo and 6.16 million viewers. The following episodes’ ratings kept dropping week after week with occasional upward spikes. On August 11th, Expedition Impossible hit a low of a 1.1 demo rating and just 3.83 million viewers.

So far this season, it’s averaging a 1.6 in the demo and 5.19 million viewers. With the exception of Friday night’s Karaoke Battle USA, Expedition Impossible has the worst ratings average of any reality competition series currently on the network. It had a solid start but the overall decline has been serious.

ABC could choose to bring this show back for season two but, quite honestly, they have other summer options that perform better.

But, what do you think? Does Expedition Impossible deserve to be renewed for season two or should it be cancelled instead?

Sonya April 7, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Loved this show please bring it back

Kikay Ginger April 2, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Please returns I loved this show thought it was a lot more challenging than the other reality shows please come back….Dave Salmoni I miss you a lot and you are very handsome please returns for us…

Mary April 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm

PLEASE keep Expedition Impossible! It was amazing and my kids and I were glued to the tv! We loved the various teams and were cheering all them time! This show had real people roughing it out through illness, injury, etc. I am so sick of the very SCRIPTED Survivor! Don’t believe me, go back and watch early episodes. Keep Expedition Impossible!!!!!

Karla March 25, 2012 at 7:48 pm

My husband and I (in our late sixties) loved this reality show. To me it put Amazing Race to shame. For example, no winning the race leg and getting a head start that eventually has everyone grouped together and the leaders have no advantage after all. This gripes us! On Expedition, the contestants really have to rough it and the challenges definitely are hard. This contest takes wit, physical stamina and cooperation (to some extent) between teams. Like the three-person team concept and they get to see a country from ALL perspectives. Love it and keep it coming.

Sarah March 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm

KEEP, PLEASE!!!!

sherrie March 23, 2012 at 7:46 am

KEEP IT, LOVED IT this show is better than many reality shows!

Sparkle March 22, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I hope that it returns. I looked forward to watching it every week.

Connie Helt March 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm

My husband and I were glued to this show, have been looking and looking fro a date for season two. Please give it another chance, I can’t imagine why you wouln’t so much better than amazing race. Loved the show.

Katie March 14, 2012 at 10:14 am

Please keep this show!!! my whole family LOVES IT!!!! we look forward to another season! please abc…

Donna March 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I loved this show thought it was a lot more challenging than the other reality shows please bring back

Rene March 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Truly enjoyed the show. Please bring it back…………

Julie March 10, 2012 at 5:46 pm

It would of been better with us in there… ‘our trio team’ of course, TEAM STRANGERS! A more intriguing ‘hook’ for viewers… and a more even playing field whereas the same team just doesn’t dominate each week. Twists and turns lure people in to watch. Hoping for another season on the aire and chance! Been waiting along time to do this! Maybe up the hosts excitement as well- just a thought to enhance. All will up the ratings as well as timing of when to feature the show each week and who it’s up against. Maybe a less well-established following to get it off and going and staying strong! Expedition Impossible- YES deserves another chance!

Julie March 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

and UP the Prize/up the viewers…

hugo February 23, 2012 at 4:54 am

please keep it. First one just finished in South Africa and we all thought it was excellent!!

reality fan February 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Keep it!
It was a lot like the Amazing Race, but still had it’s unique differences. I thought the
challenges were fun and well thought out. I don’t know why the ratings would drop so
quickly. There had to have been a couple of “favourite” shows playing at the same time.
I hope there is a season 2, there is absolute garbage on TV these days, and this show was
very entertaining and mentally challenging.

linda February 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

Like Amazing Race on steroids – I got so hooked on this show and really want there to be a season 2 !! It was a true competition without all the silly drama and the whole family can watch and learn!

Karen March 9, 2012 at 10:01 am

I totally agree with Linda! My husband and I watched it religously every week. I can’t understand why more people didn’t watch! I’ll be so bummed if they don’t put on a season 2!