Expedition Impossible: ABC Worldwide Competition; Cancel or Keep It?

Expedition Impossible cancel or keep?ABC recently unveiled a new reality competition series called Expedition Impossible. From Mark Burnett, the force behind Survivor and The Apprentice, the TV show bears more than a passing resemblance to CBS’ long-running The Amazing Race. Will this new series be as successful or will it be quickly cancelled instead?

Hosted by zoologist Dave Salmoni, Expedition Impossible follows 13 teams of three people racing through the great outdoors — across barren deserts and over snow-covered mountains. Each week, a new part of the expedition is revealed to the contestants and at least one team is eliminated from the competition. The winning trio of adventurers receives $50,000 each in prize money and a new Ford Explorer.

The TV series debuted on June 23rd to a 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.18 million viewers, airing opposite all repeats. That was a healthy premiere and Expedition Impossible was first in the timeslot for the demo and second in total viewership, behind CSI.

A week later, the demo numbers fell 25% to a 1.8 in the demo and 6.16 million viewers. The following episodes’ ratings kept dropping week after week with occasional upward spikes. On August 11th, Expedition Impossible hit a low of a 1.1 demo rating and just 3.83 million viewers.

So far this season, it’s averaging a 1.6 in the demo and 5.19 million viewers. With the exception of Friday night’s Karaoke Battle USA, Expedition Impossible has the worst ratings average of any reality competition series currently on the network. It had a solid start but the overall decline has been serious.

ABC could choose to bring this show back for season two but, quite honestly, they have other summer options that perform better.

But, what do you think? Does Expedition Impossible deserve to be renewed for season two or should it be cancelled instead?

EW June 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I loved this show! I cannot believe they did not renew it. Please bring it back!

Birdie June 26, 2012 at 7:20 am

I LOVE Expedition Impossible! Please keep it…my entire family was looking forward to another season!! It was one of our favorite shows! There’s too much garbage on TV and this is one of those feel good tv shows! It was so inspiring and motivational. PLEASE bring it back!!

Rachell June 22, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Keep It!!!
BRING BACK EXPEDITION IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!
Such an awesome and refreshing show!

Jessie June 22, 2012 at 8:32 am

Please keep it !
If the only thing i watch after i come back from my run. Without it , it would break my heart. It is really the best show i seen on abc. I dont really watch abc alot but if you keep it , i will watch it ! My whole school talked about the show. Please , please , please renew it ! You will make the people that commeneted and more happy.

Jess June 22, 2012 at 8:27 am

Pleasee keep it !
I loved watchingg it with my dad after we came back from our run . If you take it away , we will not having anything to watch. We loved that show VERY much and we are picky of what kind of shows we like. Pleasee renew it ! It will bring happniess to all those people that commented and MORE. My school always talks about this show. Please,please,pleasee keep it !!

Matt June 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm

So was it canceled or kept! Last season started by now I think. I loved this show soooo much though! It was one of my favorite series! My whole family including me would watch it every Thursday! I can’t believe that they would cancel it!!! I personally didn’t have any complaints about the show! I thought it was the best show I’ve ever seen!

Anonymous June 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm

OMG we were sooo looking forward to another season….its much better than amazing race

Anne June 11, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Keep the show! Keep the show! Keeep the show! I loved it, it’s a shame it got so low ratings… I don’t know what happened… I loved the show and so did my friends and family!(:

Chris June 5, 2012 at 8:00 am

I am waiting for this show to come back!!! It was a great summer show!! Perfect for in between my other favorites (amaz race/surv)

writerluber June 3, 2012 at 10:17 am

LEAVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eva Uran May 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

I liked Expedition Impossible just because it did NOT use deceit and alliance but sheer courage, stamina and perseverance. I do love nature and the outdoors and was counting on seeing another season of it. I agree with the above comments that it should be more balanced with a woman in each team so that one team doesn’t have an unfair advantage. Also, film it in a captivating beautiful and awesome area. If it helps to bring in a different host, do so, although personally I didn’t find anything wrong with him. Again, I loved the show and please learn your lessons, improve on it and bring it back.

Rachell June 22, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I AGREE!

Vicki May 7, 2012 at 6:00 pm

bring it back!!!!!!!

Charlie McDonough April 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm

PISSED OFF!!! This was my favorite show and it was great. It gave me the feeling of summer and because ABC cancelled it I will not watch anything on that channel again besides sports!! SCREW ABC!!!

T. Gysin April 20, 2012 at 8:54 am

We happened upon Expedition after it had been on for two or three weeks. We were intrigued, so we hunted it up after we watched our first episode and watched those weeks we had missed. As time wore on, we were more and more intrigued and absolutely fell in love with the Colorado team, led by Jeff. Their spirit and good sportsmanship was incredible and extremely inspirational. I would love to see another season, but the teams make the show. You’d have to find another group like that led by Jeff to retain my loyalty to the show. If you could pull that off, I’d love to see another season.

miles April 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm

This show was soo inspirational. My family has made time to watch this show together every single week. We never do that. Its too bad so many others missed out …..it would surely be a big hit.