Expedition Impossible: ABC Worldwide Competition; Cancel or Keep It?

Expedition Impossible cancel or keep?ABC recently unveiled a new reality competition series called Expedition Impossible. From Mark Burnett, the force behind Survivor and The Apprentice, the TV show bears more than a passing resemblance to CBS’ long-running The Amazing Race. Will this new series be as successful or will it be quickly cancelled instead?

Hosted by zoologist Dave Salmoni, Expedition Impossible follows 13 teams of three people racing through the great outdoors — across barren deserts and over snow-covered mountains. Each week, a new part of the expedition is revealed to the contestants and at least one team is eliminated from the competition. The winning trio of adventurers receives $50,000 each in prize money and a new Ford Explorer.

The TV series debuted on June 23rd to a 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.18 million viewers, airing opposite all repeats. That was a healthy premiere and Expedition Impossible was first in the timeslot for the demo and second in total viewership, behind CSI.

A week later, the demo numbers fell 25% to a 1.8 in the demo and 6.16 million viewers. The following episodes’ ratings kept dropping week after week with occasional upward spikes. On August 11th, Expedition Impossible hit a low of a 1.1 demo rating and just 3.83 million viewers.

So far this season, it’s averaging a 1.6 in the demo and 5.19 million viewers. With the exception of Friday night’s Karaoke Battle USA, Expedition Impossible has the worst ratings average of any reality competition series currently on the network. It had a solid start but the overall decline has been serious.

ABC could choose to bring this show back for season two but, quite honestly, they have other summer options that perform better.

But, what do you think? Does Expedition Impossible deserve to be renewed for season two or should it be cancelled instead?

Justin Hollender November 4, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I would love another season. I thought it was much better than the Amazing Race.

Jaynie Regan November 2, 2012 at 11:06 pm

So what are you going to do? We all loved it. It’s 11-02-12, I’ve been waiting and waiting for the new season to start. Let’s get it going ABC!!!!!

Sabrina Q October 28, 2012 at 7:37 am

Please bring Expedition Impossible back….we absolutely love this TV Series!!!

Deanie October 25, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Please bring back Expedition Impossible !! It was great and my 12 year-old blind nephew loved it !! He watched every episode and looked forward to it !! Being blind himself , he pulled for No LImits because Eric was was blind ! I said he watched every episode, I should have said he listened and looked forward to it every week !! Bring it back !! Please !!

starry October 18, 2012 at 10:40 am

It should be continued as it was great entertainment. Way tougher than The Amazing Race is now, more spectacular episode by episode, teams got eliminated on merit rather than because they had a bad taxi driver. All this meant the teams at the end were more deserving, particularly the top 2.

tony nellessen October 14, 2012 at 11:39 am

bring it back my whole fs showamily loved thi

Alan and Viv from England September 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Dam good entertanment, best thing you Yanks have done since Dallas and Mash.Must not be allowed die,Americans without guns exellent.

Ellie August 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Please bring it back!!! I loved that show. It was my favorite show EVER and I totally miss it! Think about the teens and adults! … Awkward. Ok what I’m trying to say is that it was an extraordinary show with phenomenal people and a fabulous prize with amazing obstacles and brilliant brains. Please please bring this show back!!!

kirste lineberger August 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm

PLEASE bring it back!!!!!! I beg you.

jackie August 16, 2012 at 7:56 pm

bring the show back !!!!! it was a great show. better advertising might of helped it.

Trudy Weichers August 10, 2012 at 10:47 am

I LOVED this show. Itaped it so could watch it again but our DVR had to be replaced and lost them all.. BRING IT BACK!! Needs more advertising as just happened to see it and started watching it.

Kris July 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm

We loved it!! My hubby keeps sa7ing “I wish they would bring that Expedition show back”. I thought it was a good show :0-)

Bill July 16, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Bring it back. It was better than the race

shelley July 6, 2012 at 5:03 am

keep it going but change the time of scheduling i didnt even know it was on let alone on saturaday 6:00am better advertising would help

Tami June 27, 2012 at 10:41 am

Bring it back!!!! And let me know how I can audition!! =)