Extant: Cancel or Keep the Halle Berry Series?

EXtant TV show on CBS: canceled or season 2?Last summer, CBS found ratings success with new series Under the Dome. This summer, they introduced Extant, a sci-fi series starring Halle Berry. Has it been a hit as well? Will the series be renewed for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

On Extant, astronaut Molly Woods (Berry) returns to Earth after a year-long solo mission in outer space. Her reunion with her family is thrown into turmoil when it’s learned that she’s pregnant. Others in the cast include Goran Visnjic, Pierce Gagnon, Hiroyuki Sanada, Camryn Manheim, Grace Gummer, and Michael O’Neill.

Debuting on July 9th, the series got off to a decent start and attracted a 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 9.58 million viewers. In week two, the ratings saw a moderate decline which is not unexpected for a new series. Unfortunately, the numbers took a big dip in week three.

Should Extant be renewed for a second season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings seem to have now leveled off and the show consistently draws a 1.0 rating in the demo with under six million viewers. Those are hardly impressive numbers for an expensive show with a movie star as the lead.

Last year’s Under the Dome was profitable for CBS even before the series aired, thanks to a deal with Amazon and others. CBS has a streaming deal with Amazon for Extant but it’s unclear if that will be enough to get this particular show a second season renewal.

Series creator Mickey Fisher says that he has big plans for season two but has assured fans of a satisfying finale if the show is cancelled. He believes the series has a 50/50 chance.

What do you think? Do you like the Extant TV show? Do you think it should be renewed for a second season or is one season enough?

10/9 update: Extant has been renewed for a second season CBS.

beth September 4, 2014 at 2:03 am

Please keep it. There is so much trash on t.v., but this has quality to it with a good cast. It is very interesting and thought provoking. There are only 2 other shows on t.v. that I regularly watch. I like a good science fiction. One of the other shows I must watch is Person of Interest. Another EXCELLENT show!

Barbara September 4, 2014 at 2:02 am

Great story and cast with suspense week after week-
Please don’t be like ABC and cancel every great program
after just one season–give it a chance with season 2!!

LRWalnut September 4, 2014 at 1:59 am

The show is slow but interesting, it should hurry up and give us more details. It should be like a good book gripping you at every sentence where you are afraid of skipping ahead in case you miss something. This show doesn’t do that, my husband has missed several episodes and still knows exactly what’s happening. What is up with the horrible wardrobe they have Halle Berry wearing! I understand they want to make her look like a mom but can they be a little bit fashionable, I mean they have all these modern gadgets and her clothes looks like ugly hand me downs from good will. My mother in law has an outfit and shoes like the one Halle Berry is wearing on the finale

Gemma September 4, 2014 at 1:34 am

I thought I would not like the show. It has turned out to be very good. I agree. I think the reason for the ratings drop is because of your time change. Most people enjoyed it on it’s 9:00PM time slot.
I don’t know how you pulled off getting Halle Barry to play a lead in an night time series! This could go so many ways. It really has the potential to be very good I think you need to change it up a bit Ma (e it a bit more crazy

Jane Greenbaum September 4, 2014 at 1:23 am

The best show on network tv! There should be at least 3 more seasons. If CBS doesn’t renew maybe Amazon will pick it up. I’ve been watching it on Amazon Prime.

Valerie September 4, 2014 at 12:48 am

Please keep Extant! I love this show!

Anonymous September 4, 2014 at 12:30 am

Extant is a good show. However, I find the 2nd season of Under the Dome slightly slow and not a bit boring.

Lynne Anne Bloom September 4, 2014 at 12:10 am

CBS execs are way smarter than NBC execs (the idiots at NBC keep cancelling quality shows that families can enjoy together like “Believe”) and I think at CBS they know a quality show like Extant” is very unique and viewership will grow in the upcoming season 2.

I seriously hope to see Extant have a season 2!

Linda September 4, 2014 at 12:10 am

Yes! Please keep this show. It has room to grow. Good cast, interesting concept, and changing it from 10:00pm to 9:00pm made a big difference in viewership. Keep it at 9:00pm. 10:00pm is too late and in conflict with too many already established shows. 9:00pm is perfect time for Extant. Give this show a chance – I have a feeling it will not disappoint the network or viewers. Thanks!

jd wardrop September 4, 2014 at 12:06 am

It’s a keeper

James Heinrich September 4, 2014 at 12:00 am

Extant is a really good original show so of course they want to cancel it, they always cancel the good shows and renew the crap, I never really liked Under The dome and just stopped watching but I’m really liking Extant and I hope it get’s a second season.

Susan September 3, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Love the show and hoping it gets renewed! Not enough good sci fi on TV so this is a welcome respite from another “cop show” and reruns of Law & Order over and over and over again!

Pacman Blair September 3, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Love the show! Renew!!!!!!!

Yes please September 3, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Yes please and pretty please

Malie September 3, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Yes!!!! Pretty please CBS renew Extant for a second season. I absolutely love it <3