Fear Factor: Possibly Cancelled Over the Donkey Stunt?

Fear Factor canceled over donkey stunt?As you may have noticed, NBC aired another Fear Factor repeat last night. It replaced an original episode, titled “Hee Haw! Hee Haw!,” which had actually been originally scheduled for January 23rd but was moved because of the GOP debate. NBC later decided to pull it altogether because one of the stunts — involving a team having to ingest donkey semen and urine — was just too much, even for the peacock network.

NBC entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt made a statement regarding the schedule change, saying, “I reviewed the episode late last week and decided it was a segment we should not air.” Last night’s episode was the last episode on the schedule until Sunday, February 12th. NBC ordered 10 episodes and has five original installments left.

The fact that NBC has pulled the episode comes as no surprise to host Joe Rogan. He discussed the donkey stunt last month with EW, saying,”It’s so over the top and ridiculous. When they told me, I really thought they were joking at first. I don’t know where the debate is, but NBC is not sure if they’re going to air it.”

Should Fear Factor be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Deadline speculates that Fear Factor could be cancelled after the donkey stunt, also citing that Greenblatt wants to rebuild NBC with upscale programming.

Though Greenblatt may not be crazy about the disgusting Fear Factor stunts, it’s highly unlikely that he’s going to turn his nose up at the show’s ratings. Fear Factor is currently the highest-rated non-scripted series on the network, averaging a 2.8 in the demo and 7.02 million viewers.

It’s the second-highest rated show of the season on the network overall, easily beating supposed hits like Up All Night, Whitney, and Law & Order: SVU.

Love it or hate it, NBC has little choice but to stick with Fear Factor — at least for now.

What do you think? Should Fear Factor be cancelled after this stunt or is it just “par for the course?”

Anne February 1, 2012 at 3:37 am

There are lots of terrible shows on tv. I don’t think they would cancel it. But terrible programming is why I turned off the tv for good. Besides the fact of the mass manipulation. I suggest you all turn it off.

Kat February 1, 2012 at 8:53 am

Only weak-willed people are manipulated by television, video games, movies, etc… for the rest of us, it’s entertainment. Not sure how something like “Star Wars” is manipulating people on a mass scale… Terrible programming should be why you change the channel, not turn off your TV entirely. But if you’re finding your entertainment elsewhere, who am I to judge? Just kind of surprised you’re on a site dedicated to television news if you don’t watch TV.

Grandizer February 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

But you come to a site devoted to TV and complain??? And thank you, but I certainly do NOT need you deciding for me what to do with my time or money.
Suggestion, IGNORED.

Anne February 2, 2012 at 1:03 am

Thanks a lot guys. It was a suggestion. I can make a comment if I like.

Samara January 31, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I watched a few episodes of the original, solely because I had liked Joe Rogan on “News Radio”! But, it was stupid then and I’m sure it is stupid now! My big problem has to do with the animals! Where are they getting donkey fluids, or testicles, or any other animal part? Who is allowing them to harm insects and reptiles? Where is the Humane Society for all of this? I could never watch a program that resulted in the abuse of even a single animal (or creature)! It should never have been brought back, and needs to be cancelled now!

Grandizer February 1, 2012 at 10:50 am

Well the problem with your problem of them harming insects is that they are doing NOTHING that other cultures in the world do. Eating insects is not a new thing! People complaining about it are just people who are lucky enough to be able to go to McDonalds, and Pizza Hut and Bertucci’s and so many other fine dining :) establishments. But for many people in other countries this is their every day meal.
Survivor has done it for years as well.

stacey January 31, 2012 at 7:33 pm

This is the best show ever! It shows that people will do anything for money.how greedy can u be. I live watching it. I would have lived to watch people drink donkey urine that would of been awesome!!!

bob January 31, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Idiotic, yea. Great television, probably not. Entertaining watching these morons looking for 15 mins of fame, you bet.

Matt S. January 31, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Not that I condone the donkey incident.. But all of you are such a small percentage of the apparent 7 million+ people who do watch it. Its all about money if people watch it NBC will sell ads. Period..

The Blue Rose January 31, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This is really no different than other low brow antics that other networks have done. Fox by far is probably the worst offender in that department but look at who is watching. That’s why different channels cater to different interests.

Pikachu January 31, 2012 at 2:40 pm

PLEASE!!!!!! Don’t cancel Fear Factor!!!!!! It’s one of my favorite shows!!!!!! BRING IT BACK FOR ANOTHER SEASON NBC!!!!!!

Why January 31, 2012 at 2:22 pm

A total insult to people. Whoever thought this should have gone back on the air is an idiot.

winsomebulldog January 31, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I’m not sure which is more pathetic, the networks that insist on showing garbage like this or the morons who consider it “entertainment.” It’s a bit of a “chicken vs. the egg” situation. Television gets more idiotic all the time because people seek out programs with idiotic, sophomoric humor. I get that 12 year old boys find stuff like this funny, but they aren’t the ones it’s being marketed to. Holy cow, we’re getting dumber all the time in this country.

Kat January 31, 2012 at 11:01 am

They should air the donkey episode, as well as all the other episodes that have been filmed; the people who want to watch this disgusting show will either decide this is enough or they’ll love it. These semen- and urine-consuming people degraded themselves for 15 minutes of fame & whatever money they got; the least NBC can do is show the episodes (plus, as stated in the article above, the ratings are high). I don’t think the show should’ve been brought back (or ever aired EVER… seriously, eating bugs??), but are you really going to humiliate someone and then NOT show the episode on TV as promised? Doesn’t seem fair, heh.

Jeremy Rynek January 31, 2012 at 9:56 am

Everything good usually ends sooner rather than later. People will use any ammo they can get, but on the bright side, they’ll keep it because of the ratings.

Bill January 31, 2012 at 9:27 am

All these type of programs are a waste of air time, I will watch a rerun of Mannix before I watch a reality show!

I_R_Human January 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

Urine and seman are over the top but sure go ahead eat the Penis or the testicles…..that would be just fine….I say they have an episode where they eat a peacock….It’s brainless tv that people seem to flock to….I could care less if it comes back…Just bring back Community because that’s at least funny and takes talent to produce…

Grandizer January 31, 2012 at 8:51 am

No it should not be cancelled. If stupid “JackAss” can be shown where they do FAR WORSE things, then Fear Factor should have the chance as well.
A message that people might not want to watch certain segments are all that is needed.
I bet that those segments will actually increase viewership though.

Laura January 31, 2012 at 8:48 am

Seriously, they keep trying to push the envelope. This is way too far. Cancel the sucker!