Find My Family: Mixed Premiere Ratings; Cancel or Keep It?

Find My FamilyABC quietly unveiled a new reality series on Tuesday night. Like the network’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition series, Find My Family had audience members reaching for the tissues by the box. But, more importantly for the show’s future, how did it do in the ratings?

Hosted by Tim Green and Lisa Joyner, Find My Family helps people reconnect with family members after being separated for many years. The emotional reunions take place on-camera and in front of a place known as the “Family Tree.”

Following the performance finale of Dancing with the Stars, the premiere of Family attracted 12.76 million viewers and a 2.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic. Those numbers look okay on their own but its significant that the series lost about 40% of its lead-in audience. ABC can’t be happy about that.

The real test will be next Monday’s broadcast though. Family won’t have the powerful Dancing lead-in and will expand to one hour.

What do you think? Is Find My Family worth watching or should ABC cut this series short? Cancel or keep it?

Victoria Peoples December 5, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Please bring this show back. My brothers and sisters and I have been looking for our birth sister for years. We haven’t seen her since she was six months old, she is 52 now.
I am 58. Thinking Find My Family might be our last chance to find her, I filled out the
exceptionally long application..pour my heart out concerning the details of her private
adoption. I never heard back. Please don’t cancel this show. Please help us find my sister. None of my siblings and I are getting any younger, my older sister turned 60 this year. We pray to God every that we will be reunited with our sister before the rest
of us dies. I have one brother that has made his transition already.

Please have mercy…and bless us with reuniting with our sister….PLEASE!

Ricky November 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm

PLEASE bring “Find My Family” back!!!! that is without a doubt one of the most touching television shows i have ever encountered. my sister-in-law, my brother and I nearly cried throughout the entire show. PLEASE bring it back!!

Brenda November 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I soooooo wish this show would be brought back. It was one of my favorites! I Loved seeing people reunited with each other. I had printed off and filled out my paperwork to request my own search.

Jessica November 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I think they should be on another night. I really think in keeping it on.

Linda Dugan-Martinez October 10, 2010 at 10:59 pm

PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK! Please continue airing this show. There has never been anything like it. I have never cried so many happy tears watching a television show before. HamThis show is a blessing!

Red September 21, 2010 at 11:51 am

This show brought tears to my eyes, as well as my 8 & 10 year old granddaughters. I am a social worker, and I have young client’s who were given up at birth or early age, and they are so very lonely. They want to find a family member. Some are from Canada where I live and some of their families are across the world. To sit and talk to them about this, is heartbreaking. I also have parents who gave up their children, but do not know where they are. We have nothing like this show in Canada (wish we did), I would love to do this. Anyway, please bring back this show. Even if some of these people watching cannot find their family members, I am sure they are so very happy so see that the people on the show are reuniting with theirs. Amazing show, pllllllllleasssse bring it back.

Vickie August 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Please bring this show back…… it was something that my “entire” family could sit down and watch and enjoy….. why do these type’s of shows always get canned before they have a fair chance of making it????

Randi Szewczyk August 12, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Keep the show! I want to find my brothers Michael and Brian Vargo!!!! Michael is my only full blooded relative!

Barbie Santos August 12, 2010 at 9:20 am

I think the show should continue into the 2009-2010 season.

Kelly Easton August 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm

TO Sharon: Was the daughter you gave up for adoption born 11/13/1967 in New York by any chance?

margo June 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm

JOSH I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT CAN YOU FILL ME IN. THANKS MARGO

margo June 24, 2010 at 3:36 pm

THERE ARE OTHER PLACES TO LOOK. START WITH PEOPLE SEARCH. WHITE PAGES.LET ME KNOW. MARGO

Evelyn Ehler June 24, 2010 at 11:20 am

Yes…there are many people who DO agree with you. But ABC announced it was cancelling the show.

The wonder peep June 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

i aggre with josh lambert this show is what tells people what people r going though that others arn’t. please bring the show back everybody likes it and there is nothing bad with the show… its just good people finding there long lost fathers and grand fathers, mothers and grandmothers, please we need this show. we want it and so dose everybody else in the world.

josh lambert June 24, 2010 at 11:04 am

dosnt anybody agree with me?