FlashForward: Production Shuts Down on ABC Drama

Flash ForwardThe ratings for ABC’s FlashForward continue to tumble and it would seem that the network is concerned. Production on the series has been temporarily halted.

The work stoppage began last week and will continue through this holiday week. Production on the 13th episode is expected to begin on Monday when the cast and crew return.

ABC says that the break was built into the work schedule and was positioned to “boost the writing.” A spokesman said, “They want to maintain the high quality of the show, and this gives the writers the opportunity to do so.”

Of course, it doesn’t seem like much of a coincidence that the shut down comes right after FlashForward hit a series low in the ratings. It also follows the departure of Marc Guggenheim as a co-showrunner/executive producer. Co-creator/exec producer David Goyer is now the sole showrunner.

What do you think? Do you think the production stoppage comes as a result of the declining ratings?

Jane Briggs March 25, 2010 at 9:17 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if they did cancel this series. Anything that has a complex story line and a good plot always gets cancelled. They pander to the lowest common denominator – and we have to be subjected to crappy reality shows. Invasion was cancelled, Defying Gravity likewise – it’s no wonder people like me are rarely watching TV.

SergeiRostov January 14, 2010 at 4:15 am

For me, the show had already gotten to the point where I felt that – although I had not yet done so – I could read an episode guide and not miss anything…a bad sign. On top of that, having the one cop commit suicide (and thus change his foreseen future), while not *necessarily* violating the premise, did change the show radically, from a new concept (how-do-I-cope-with-what-is-definitely-going-to-happen) to something we’ve seen many times before (this-is-how-I-will-end-up-unless-I-change). Quite disappointing.

Danny Reyntiens January 11, 2010 at 5:10 am

I’m not a big fan of Series, except certain Sitcom’s. I find it hard to watch every week, but I must confesses that I haven’t missed a single episode of Flash Forward and even bought the book (Which is Brilliant by the way). Lost, 24, heroes, x-files never followed it, Flash Forward is a bloody good production, with great writing and great acting and deserves to go on (not too long, that’s never good) .

S.D. December 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm

THE FLASHFORWARD IS REALLY A UNIQUE WAY OF PRESENTING A TELEVISION SHOW. JUST TRY AND PUT YOURSELF IN THERE POSITION AND TRY TO FELL HOW EACH PERSON WOULD FEEL. THIS IS A GREAT IDEA THAT CAN GO ANYPLACE THE WRITERS CAN THINK UP.THIS IS HOW PEOPLE MIGHT FEEL IN THIS POSITION,IT DRAWS YOU IN SO FAR WITH EACH STORY AND WONDER WHERE WILL IT TAKE YOU. THE BLUE HAND SEGMENT WAS SOME THING A GROUP OF UNDERGROUND PEOPLE JUST MIGHT THINK UP. YOU WILL NEVER LOOK AT THE CLOCK WHEN THIS SHOW IS ON YOU JUST DON’T WANT IT TO END.

Jeff December 23, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I really hope this show does not get cancelled. my girlfriend and I watch this show every week and actually get excited to watch tv. this is definetly a show you must watch from episode one to finish and this may be why ratings are dropping. coming into a show like this half way through the season will confuse and most likely turn the watcher off. PLEASE dont cancel this show!!

Jeff

Brian December 9, 2009 at 4:52 am

This is directed to all the people out there who like to say someone’s dumb simply because they don’t like a particular show (Lindsey Lee and CArlos).

It’s extremely ignorant for you to call someone stupid because their opinion differs from yours. It just shows that you don’t know how to debate or have an intelligent conversation. Example, You don’t like this show, well that means you’re stupid and the lowest common denominator.

As far as this show goes, I really want to like it. I thought the idea was brilliant. However, we are 10 weeks into the show and I honestly couldn’t care less about the characters. I have no emotional involvement in any of them. There has been no development for any of them.

Also, they rely way too much on the Flash Forwards to show everyone’s motivations. Did these characters not have lives before they saw their futures?? I mean, I get it, the main character is going to be drinking in the future. Do I really need to see it 3 times an episode?

And CArlos, bringing up Fox News in a thread about a fictional show, very childish. What are you a first year college student? Let me know when you start learning about Che!

Autumn B. December 7, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Please don’t take take away this show. What about all of us watching this. Are you just going to leave us hanging . C’mon quit taking away all of our shows!

Lindsey Lee December 6, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Loving this show in the UK in fact my entire work is obsessed with it. Please do not cancel this show we need to know what happens it is so intriguing and different to other shows out there.

I agree some people are missing the point of this show and also getting confused. It was sad the FBI man committed suicide yes but he kept having flashforwards (thats the new flashback) and he kept seeing the same thing and he didn’t know what he had done but he knew he had done something to kill a women and leave her children this thought invaded his head and he couldn’t take it like the other smart poster Carlos said. This show is complex and you have to pay attention. All the smart shows get cancelled as too many people don’t get it.

I did wonder what would happen after the first season but we don’t know how slow time is passing for them the first 10 episodes could represent 10 days for all we know. This show is gettting better and better in my opinion. It the new Lost or something, its smart, well acted and has you forever wondering the perfect combination.

abby December 5, 2009 at 6:07 pm

This show would have done better if they had made it into a movie instead. I mean, there is no future for it after one season…

CArlos December 5, 2009 at 4:25 pm

fistofsouth: Clearly, you do not understand the show, according to your comments. The point of the FBI agent killing himself was because he was distraught and he didn’t know how to affect the future in another way at the time. He obviously didn’t have to kill himself.
Olivia DID throw away her lingerie that Mark gave her, because that is what she was wearing in her FF. Aaron’s daughter, Tracy, wasn’t a Combat Arms Marine. You obviously know little about the military and are missing the bigger picture of the show. There was a specific purpose to the events as they happened and how. The show if obviously too intellectual for you. So, you and everyone else that can’t understand should stop watching and tune into something else, I don’t know, maybe some real good fiction, like Fox News!

Anonymous December 3, 2009 at 4:29 pm

The show is slow and boring, all the personalities blow – I wouldn’t care if any of them left the show. Bring back Defying Gravity.

fistofsouth December 2, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Flash Forward started interesting enough, but it has been going down since the first episode. Some of the things they do make no sense; one FBI agent commits suicide to prove that the FFs are not set in stone, it becomes front page news and the guy has been canonized ever since as the greatest man since Jesus. So no one else in the two months since the FF became so distraught with their vision that they killed themselves? Even if I buy off on that fact and the fact that it was front page news I still can’t get over the suicide. I mean that was the ONLY way to prove the flashes wrong and prevent that woman’s death? Really? He could have contacted her to prevent her death. If he wanted to prove the FFs could be changed he could have oh I don’t know, cut off a thumb, trashed the suit he was wearing in the FF or even declined the trip to London, but no we end up with a suicide and a nonsensical story element because it was sweeps and the writers wanted shock value. That would be alright if the show had anything else going for it, but here we are 10 episodes into this thing and I still have no attachment to any of the characters in this show, they have made serious factual errors (say women in Combat Arms roles in the Marines when only men are allowed in those roles) and Brannon Braga (the guy that almost ruined Trek) is still involved.

I have almost NO FAITH that this show will improve.

Brendan December 2, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Anybody remember Invasion? Jericho? Surface? Kings? Sarah Connor: Terminator Chronicles?

The Networks don’t care what you think — although the peanut trick managed to get a few more episodes of Jericho — and they DEFINITELY don’t care if a show is “thought-provoking and intelligent.”

ANY show that also has expensive special effects and movie-like budgets NEVER lasts cause, ultimately, it’s all about the bottom line.

Yes, FlashForward is a great show! I wish I was wrong.

Next on the deathwatch – V 2009.

Kathy December 2, 2009 at 11:59 am

Please dont cancel “FLASH FOWARD” Its a different show that i think alot of people really don’t understand. But I think its a GREAT SHOW!!!!! My children enjoy it. Hope you KEEP it on!!!!!

Rachel December 2, 2009 at 7:48 am

PLEASE keep this show! Though I don’t get to watch it on Thursday nights because of my schedule, I always log onto ABC.com the next morning and watch. This show is amazing! Please save it!!!