Flashpoint: CBS Renews Series for Season Two, When Will It Return?

FlashpointOn the heels of a solid performance in the ratings last night, CBS has renewed its successful Summer drama, Flashpoint, for a second season.

Flashpoint was originally developed by Canadian network CTV. CBS decided to license the series during the infamous writers strike earlier this year. CBS started airing the drama on Friday nights beginning on July 11th. The network was encouraged by the early numbers and moved it to Thursday nights, switching places with ailing Swingtown. The numbers dipped a bit but were still respectable, especially for a Summer series.

After a two week hiatus, Flashpoint returned to the schedule last Thursday and attracted 8.5 million viewers — outperforming the series’ premiere. Last night, the drama held onto 95% of CSI’s audience with 9.7 million, another series high.

When should Flashpoint return?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last month, CTV announced that they were renewing the series for another season and production is expected to resume in early 2009. Between the show’s recent ratings and lower cost, it comes as no surprise that CBS has also renewed Flashpoint for 13 more episodes.

When Flashpoint will actually return to CBS is unclear. There are still four first season episodes left to air and they aren’t currently on the schedule. If one of the network’s new Fall shows tanks, Flashpoint could certainly fill in. If CBS decides to kick off season two in midseason, they could hold the leftover episodes until then.

One thing is for sure, with such solid numbers, it’s unlikely that CBS will make fans wait until next Summer to see the cops of the Strategic Response Unit return. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Tami October 8, 2009 at 6:46 pm

It is VERY rare that you find a good TV show worth watching. CBS needs to get this show back on the air quickly and replace some of the other TV that aren’t worth one minute of airtime.

TV lover September 24, 2009 at 2:30 pm

This was a good show with great tension and anticipation, but also a good feeling show most of the time. I love it!

Virginia September 10, 2009 at 10:45 am

This is one show that really could happen. I really loved watching it. It is amazing. Please have it return soon.

Cc September 8, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I seriously love this show…the action the drama is amazing

Barbara August 16, 2009 at 1:55 pm

My husband and I finally agree on something…FLASHPOINT is the best show on the air…no matter what time it is on we’ll be watching !! The team of actors are incredably incredable…they fit together like a leather glove…The scripts are so realistic it is hard to believe that the events aren’t happening at this moment… CBS has a fantasic blend with FLASHPOINT and CRIMINAL MINDS…thank you so putting together these 2 shows and i truly hope that you will continue to do so for many years to come….i bow to your talent !!!!

anonymous, but with bad spelling July 22, 2009 at 5:09 pm

bring it back… bring it back… bring it back… or so help me I will toilet paper your houses and burn a giant CBS eyeball in my backyard and dance around it while chanting maniacally….

chris July 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Bring back my FLASHPOINT & THE UNIT……………. I am dying…. =P
Great shows….. not that they are listening……… =(

john July 19, 2009 at 12:57 pm

This is a well-written crime drama with enough emotions and humanity to put it on level with (or above) some of the more popular crime dramas like CSI and NCIS. The ensemble of actors really seem to connect, and that makes it even more enjoyable to watch. I’m certainly glad it was not cancelled and hope it returns early in the fall.

JLB July 19, 2009 at 8:46 am

Love this show-Bring it back soon-
Thanks,
JLB

sheila July 10, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I absolutely love this show. Someone PLEASE persuade CBS to continue this well acted and well written show.

Anonymous May 12, 2009 at 10:31 am

Why is it that the only black actor on this show has very few lines??

Nalini November 25, 2008 at 4:44 pm

This is such a great show! I swear if CBS cancels it, there will be he[[ to pay…

Bridgette November 11, 2008 at 11:56 pm

My brother, Boyfriend and I absolutely love this show.. We cannot wait for it to come back on..

Cameron October 30, 2008 at 8:33 pm

We love this show and cant wait for new episodes. This is well written and one of the best new shows we have seen in a long time. This show better return for more episodes.

Edward Workman September 28, 2008 at 5:37 pm

This is a great show and I hope that it not get cancel at all