Flashpoint: CBS Renews Series for Season Two, When Will It Return?

FlashpointOn the heels of a solid performance in the ratings last night, CBS has renewed its successful Summer drama, Flashpoint, for a second season.

Flashpoint was originally developed by Canadian network CTV. CBS decided to license the series during the infamous writers strike earlier this year. CBS started airing the drama on Friday nights beginning on July 11th. The network was encouraged by the early numbers and moved it to Thursday nights, switching places with ailing Swingtown. The numbers dipped a bit but were still respectable, especially for a Summer series.

After a two week hiatus, Flashpoint returned to the schedule last Thursday and attracted 8.5 million viewers — outperforming the series’ premiere. Last night, the drama held onto 95% of CSI’s audience with 9.7 million, another series high.

When should Flashpoint return?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last month, CTV announced that they were renewing the series for another season and production is expected to resume in early 2009. Between the show’s recent ratings and lower cost, it comes as no surprise that CBS has also renewed Flashpoint for 13 more episodes.

When Flashpoint will actually return to CBS is unclear. There are still four first season episodes left to air and they aren’t currently on the schedule. If one of the network’s new Fall shows tanks, Flashpoint could certainly fill in. If CBS decides to kick off season two in midseason, they could hold the leftover episodes until then.

One thing is for sure, with such solid numbers, it’s unlikely that CBS will make fans wait until next Summer to see the cops of the Strategic Response Unit return. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

37 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Eileen says

Why take off a good show? From what I read here , we all would like for it to stay on. Is it because the characters are not sleeping around with everybody like most of the other shows do? This is a good clean, action show with no bad language, no sex. You stay on the edge of your seat until it is over with.

2. Kathy says

PLEASE quiet down the music & background noise–I can’t hear the dialog!!! I very much like the show when I can hear it. please continue the show with less noise. Thx Kathy

3. Paula Sell says

I love this show and hope that CBS keeps it on forever. All there seems to be on tv is junk shows, reality shows, big brother shows. This one is GREAT. I too will not watch CBS if it takes this show off and puts another junk show on. Although CBS does have better shows than NBC and ABC I must admit.

4. Cindy says

When are you going to put flashpoint back on the air, it was a good show and there are so few left for the family to watch. I don`t understand why the networks keep adding all of these stupid reality shows and taking away shows that everyone enjoys.

5. Flashpoint lover says

When will flashpoint air again. I used to love watch this show on CBS at 9:00 pm Friday nights, now tv friday nights are.. junk. Please air flashpoint again. PLEASE!!!

6. says

Both my girlfriend and I faithfully watched your Flashpoint show evrry Friday night. We couldn’t wait for the episode. It broke our hearts that the show didn’t air in 2009. When will the show return. I can guarantee my girlfriend and I will not miss an episode. What is taking so long?

7. Patricia, Aruba says

PLease…when will they start again ??? What a show!!!!Diffrent!!!!!!!!!!With feeling!!!!LOVE IT!!!!Can’t wait for season 4, 5, etc keep it up!!!!

8. Karen says

When are your bring back Flashpoint, it was such a good lead in to watch numbers. cbs 9-11 o’clock hour use to be the best, now it bust because Flashpoint is not on. I love Numb3rs.

9. Betty Hart says

My husband & I want Flashpoint back. I do not watch a lot of TV but this is one show that is really worth watching, my husband is a TV watcher & thinks it is one of the best.
    Please bring it back. PLEASE!!!

10. Jill says

I cannot believe that such a great TV show such as Flashpoint would be taken off. It is a wonderful show that my whole family just loved. We couldn’t wait until Friday night to watch it. There are so few really GOOD shows left on TV that can be watched by the whole family! There is a lot of junk on TV that I wouldn’t mind if it got taken off but not Falshpoint! Please bring it back…..

• Patricia, Aruba says

AREE!!!! Best for a while!!!!I love flashpoint too!!!! Action and with a lot of feelings..
      plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yes bring more of it.I saw every single episode .last season was even better than the one before!!

11. Marie says

Dear CBS,
    Please do not take flashpoint off the air because i love that show and it was really cool and if you do then i want watch any of your shows anymore and i will make sure no one else does either. That was not a threat either. Because this just sucks!!!!!

12. Denise says

I am a 53 Year Old Grand Mother and I waited Patiently every Friday Night to watch Flashpoint !!!!!!! When did it start and when will it be returning? I think I started watching it in mid-season 2009. Please don’t take away from me now!!! Please show it from the beginning, I’d even like to see the first season again. Has there been a second season yet??
    I have Directv and search for it every couple of days… Replace some of those tacky reality shows with this great show!!!!!!! PLEASE !!!!!