Flashpoint: TV Series Renewed for Season Five in Canada

Flashpoint season fiveThe future of Flashpoint on CBS is still up in the air but Canadian viewers definitely have more episodes of the cop drama in their future.

Flashpoint is produced in Canada and CBS has licensed episodes since 2008 and used the show mostly as an off-season utility player. Last summer, CBS aired most of the episodes from season three but still had six installments left on the shelf. In January, the decision was made to license seven more episodes, combine them with the leftover six and run them as season four. They began airing in early May.

That left 11 episodes of the cop drama that weren’t being licensed by CBS. They are on track to be aired in Canada this summer.

CTV has now ordered a fifth season of 18 episodes. Flashpoint is the most-watched Canadian drama and has averaged more than 1.5 million viewers (an impressive number by Canadian TV standards). The new order will bring the series’ episode total to 80 installments, making it the longest-running original scripted series currently on Canadian television.

There’s been no word on whether CBS will license any more episodes or not but the ratings certainly haven’t been impressive. Thus far this season, Flashpoint’s been averaging just a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.42 million total viewers. Per the early numbers, last night’s installment tied a repeat of Shark Tank in the demo.

On the other hand, the show doesn’t cost the network as much as producing their own scripted dramas.

Once the new episodes are filmed and completed, there will be 29 episodes that CBS hasn’t licensed. We’ll have to wait to see when or if American audiences will get a chance to see them.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Flashpoint has been renewed? Should CBS license more episodes?

cherie December 6, 2012 at 8:32 pm

please please please bring flash point back it is the best show going do not take it away or i will not watch your channel anymore

Keanu November 25, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Yes they should keep it going! I was heartbroken when they said this was their last season. I want to keep on watching it! Please change your minds and continue the series!

Jim November 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

best show on tv

Bob November 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I have watched Flashpoint every week since it started. I love it. The acting is superb and
the story lines are excellent.
I for one was very disappointed to hear that it was being cancelled. If there is anything that we the viewers can do to help keep this programme on the air please let us know.
I’m sure that I’m not the only one who feels this way. This is the best police drama that
I have watched in a long time. Please keep it going.

August November 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Same opinion. I watch all the episode. Amazing actors and stories. Please keep going :)

Marie November 19, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Renew…I love this show and so does my ten yr old daugther…we watch it together

Pamela October 31, 2012 at 6:26 am

So happy to see a new episode of Flashpoint. It’s one of my few
“can’t miss” shows.

Donna Miller October 18, 2012 at 5:59 am

I was so disappointed when CBS stopped the show. I absolutely LOVED it! Just found the season premier on ION which aired 9/20 but haven’t been able to find anymore episodes other than old ones from 2009.

admin October 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

The fifth and final season just started airing this week on ION.

joni mceachran October 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Flashpoint has been one of the best shows I’ve ever seen–and I watch a lot of TV! Strong characters, relevant story lines, compassionate yet professional acting with no bravado necessary. The way they present people ‘on the worst day of their lives’ leaves us all with a better understanding of human psychology. The actors and actresses are all top notch while being characters we can all relate to. Additionally, we see how the profession takes a toll on personal lives. The show was never given proper advertisement or given a time slot that would help promote viewership. Shows this good deserve better than that–please keep it going.

Bobbi October 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Love this show great cast. Hell yes we Americans want it
and more than just five. Keep it coming.

Denise October 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I love flashpoint I really hope you bring it back for season 5. Denise from Everett, Wash.

N king October 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Flashpoint is one of the best dramas I have seen. Yes they should bring it back for season 5

E Wann October 4, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I have loved watching this show. Sad it was canceled. Is the series finale the one where the sargent decides not to leave…announces this at the family picnic? I am confused at all of the season 5 discussions. On Ion this episode I mention is season 4 episode 18. Can anyone confirm this is the finales?

lbarckett September 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I love this show. Please continue, people in my family also have enjoyed this show! Please let me know if it has continued anywhere. Thanks.

t mcormond September 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I love flashpoint… ive watched every season ,every episode.. i love the actors, story lines ect…Ive been waiting and hoping they come back for more seasons..Please bring them all back !

j Young September 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Flashpoint is one of the few shows I watch, NCIS, Bones, is the other ones. I go to netflix to watch Flashpoint, because its a true and accurate accounting how things are done in the real life of a police officer. The families, the team troubles, secerts, are all ways of life with officers, not accounting for the saftey of their lives, lives that hang on the balance of someone else. This I know, because our family is one of those officers in real life.
So please keep this show on, not only a great show, story, and great actors, this show sends out a meaning that all can understand. I look forward to every night, I watch every episode, over and over because there is nothing on tv,all rality shows and I hate them.
Keep Flashpoint, the guys are doing a great job with the show. J Young

annie October 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I love Flashpoint it is exciting and I know Police Officers have reactions to
serious situations alot like these actors have….. I watch Flashpoint, Criminal
ninds, NCIS, Mash and Little House on the Prairie.. That’s it….
Please keep Flashpoint on for the 5th season.. Thanks!!!!