Flashpoint: TV Series Renewed for Season Five in Canada

Flashpoint season fiveThe future of Flashpoint on CBS is still up in the air but Canadian viewers definitely have more episodes of the cop drama in their future.

Flashpoint is produced in Canada and CBS has licensed episodes since 2008 and used the show mostly as an off-season utility player. Last summer, CBS aired most of the episodes from season three but still had six installments left on the shelf. In January, the decision was made to license seven more episodes, combine them with the leftover six and run them as season four. They began airing in early May.

That left 11 episodes of the cop drama that weren’t being licensed by CBS. They are on track to be aired in Canada this summer.

CTV has now ordered a fifth season of 18 episodes. Flashpoint is the most-watched Canadian drama and has averaged more than 1.5 million viewers (an impressive number by Canadian TV standards). The new order will bring the series’ episode total to 80 installments, making it the longest-running original scripted series currently on Canadian television.

There’s been no word on whether CBS will license any more episodes or not but the ratings certainly haven’t been impressive. Thus far this season, Flashpoint’s been averaging just a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.42 million total viewers. Per the early numbers, last night’s installment tied a repeat of Shark Tank in the demo.

On the other hand, the show doesn’t cost the network as much as producing their own scripted dramas.

Once the new episodes are filmed and completed, there will be 29 episodes that CBS hasn’t licensed. We’ll have to wait to see when or if American audiences will get a chance to see them.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Flashpoint has been renewed? Should CBS license more episodes?

Teresa Baker January 30, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Flashpoint is on the same scale with as far as hit TV shows with me as NCIS. I really hope CBS decides to air it and we can see it on ION television. The actors and fantastic and the writers couldn’t do a better job. Thank you for the series and I hope to see it for quite a long time. Teresa Baker, Eaton, Ohio

Malia January 30, 2013 at 12:34 am

Please add a 6th season! Love the show!

lois January 29, 2013 at 9:00 pm

love flashpoint

Shane January 28, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Can’t stand the show. Its like all of them are over acting and trying to hard. Like ease up and just let come naturally.

Dee January 27, 2013 at 6:16 pm

This is one of the best shows on tv. I don’t watch reality, so it is getting harder and harder to find a great show to watch. Canada is on the right track with Flashpoint! Thanks to ion for airing it.

Tricia January 26, 2013 at 9:17 pm

They need to continue this series. We love this show. CBS needs to continue airing since it really doesn’t cost them much. This is the best series that we have seen, very realistic.

David R. January 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I’m from California and I love this show. There are only 4 or 5 shows I watch regularly and Flashpoint is one of them. Please renew for next season. Thanks

Kay January 26, 2013 at 6:59 am

Yes! Absolutely, this is a great show! I love to watch this show and it’s hard to believe that it’s not that popular. I’m really surprized! Pleased keep the show on . I was it on ION tv chanel on my tv and I really enjoy this show. I would really love to see some new series come out. Thanks, Kay

Brenda January 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm

this show is great, I watch it every chance I get. It is one of the better cop shows around and the personalities excel.

Lucy January 25, 2013 at 3:09 pm

This is a great show. My husband & I discovered it this past year. Have most of my family hooked on it too. Please don”t cancel it. Its as good as NCIS. I agree with person who bemoaned having to see another garbage reality show. Hasn’t been advertized well. all it takes is one show & you want more.

Julie A. January 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm

The only show worth watching.

janice January 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I love flashpoint… finally got around to watching episodes 80 and 81 which were fantastic! The “one year later” bothered me when it look like a final episode… PLEASE don’t let this series stop as it is one of the best on TV! The cast is great and believable together.

Laurie January 25, 2013 at 11:54 am

Enjoyed all episodes of Flashpoint, Please continue to air more episode. Best show on television.

A Rimmer January 25, 2013 at 4:53 am

Please, Please, Please keep this show going. This is one of the best TV series. I stumbled on the show about a year ago and I love the drama and intimacy the show brings. I can’t take another reality show that has no substance.

Diane R. January 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I live in Oregon. I love the show. Please keep it going CBS is stupid for now airing it on our local CBS channel. I don’t know where they come up with these ratings!? I think most of us have had it with all the reality shows and other crappy shows on TV> THis is a great show.