Flashpoint: Season Five Coming to ION

Flashpoint season fiveCBS may have decided to dump Flashpoint but ION thinks the show is a keeper. The cable channel has made a deal to renew the cop drama for a fifth season. There’s no word on when they’ll start airing.

CTV had previously renewed Canada’s most-watched drama series for another 13 episodes and those will go into production next month. ION made a deal earlier this year to air all of the episodes that had run on CBS, in addition to 11 extra installments that hadn’t been seen in the United States.

The unaired episodes of Flashpoint began running on ION in October and drew 1.25 million viewers, fewer than the cable channel’s Criminal Minds reruns lead-in. However, according to ION, the December 27th installment attracted a series high with 2.1 million.

Here’s the press release with the details of the renewal:

ION TELEVISION RENEWS ITS ORIGINAL POLICE DRAMA “FLASHPOINT” FOR SEASON FIVE

After Successful Launch, ION Television Orders 13 More Original Episodes for 2012

NEW YORK, January 3, 2012 – ION Television announced today it is renewing its original police drama “Flashpoint” for a fifth season. The network is picking up 13 more episodes, set to begin shooting in February 2012. The announcement was made today by Brandon Burgess, CEO, ION Media Networks.

“Flashpoint” joined ION’s primetime schedule in October 2011 after the network acquired all episodes from seasons 1-3 along with 11 season four original episodes. The production of season five contributes to ION Television’s original programming goals for 2012 and beyond. Since its debut on ION, “Flashpoint” recorded its highest-telecast ever among the network’s key demos on December 27, including households (1.5 million), A25-54 (869,000), W25-54 (566,000) and among total viewers (2.1 million).

“Flashpoint’s’ solid performance season-to-date shows that a growing number of fans enjoy the series on ION Television,” says Burgess. “We welcome back this exciting dramatic series and its cast to ION Television for another season in 2012.”

“We’re thrilled to be continuing our relationship with ION,” says Anne Marie La Traverse and Bill Mustos, executive producers of ‘Flashpoint’. “We are delighted with how ‘Flashpoint’ continues to resonate with fans in the U.S. and we look forward to creating another season of compelling and engaging episodes for them to enjoy.”

“Flashpoint,” a nail-biting cop drama, is an emotional journey into the tough, risk-filled lives of a group of police in the Strategic Response Unit. Members of a highly-skilled tactical team, they’re trained in negotiating, profiling and getting inside the subject’s head to understand the emotional breaking point (the “flashpoint”) that triggered the crisis. The series stars an impressive list of talent, including Hugh Dillon (“Durham County”) as Ed Lane, team leader and lead sniper; Enrico Colantoni (“Veronica Mars”) as Gregory Parker, team sergeant and head negotiator; Amy Jo Johnson (“Felicity”) as Julianna “Jules” Callaghan, profiler and secondary negotiator; David Paetkau (“Whistler”) as Sam Braddock, the young, hot-shot sniper; Sergio Di Zio (“Just Buried”) as Mike “Spike” Scarlatti, bomb tech and communications; and Clé Bennett (“The Line”) as Rafik “Raf” Rousseau, Team One’s newest diamond-in-the-rough recruit.

“Flashpoint” is produced by Pink Sky Entertainment and Avamar Entertainment in association with CTV and ION Television. Anne Marie La Traverse and Bill Mustos serve as executive producers, and co-creators Mark Ellis and Stephanie Morgenstern helm the writing department. David Frazee is the Series Consultant.

Source: Nielsen Media Research. Live+SD. Flashpoint TUE 10P telecasts 10/18/11 – 12/28/11.

About ION Television
ION Television is a leading U.S. general entertainment network, combining high-quality programming and dependable broadcast distribution with an attitude of innovation and growth normally associated with a cable channel. Its “Positively Entertaining” network brand positioning features a formula of proven series, an expansive catalog of blockbuster movies and a commitment to introduce new original programming. Since its recent launch in 2008, ION’s reach has grown to 99 million households and has become one of the top-15 TV rated U.S. networks in record time. For more information, visit www.iontelevision.com.

What do you think? Have you been watching Flashpoint on ION? Are you glad to hear it’s been renewed?

Sydney w. December 6, 2013 at 12:42 am

I’m hooked on this show! I enjoy each and every episode with no exception. ION is smart to continue this resides, and I hope they’ll continue.

GINNY May 30, 2013 at 11:42 pm

THIS IS THE BEST COP SHOW ON TV. CBS WAS FOOLISH TO
LET IT GO….BUT I’M SO HAPPY ION TV PICKED IT UP, THEY
KNEW IT WAS A GREAT SHOW THANK YOU SSSSSOOOOOO MUCH ION……..

J.M. May 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I love, love, love this show. Please keep it coming. I love the personal interactions of the team. This is the best show on TV

Nancy April 8, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I really LOVE this show..please keep it coming..it has great messages and great cast… LOVE it

Summers April 21, 2013 at 5:06 pm

We love this show. One of the best on television. Would hate to see it end.

Pauite April 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Love Flashpoint…..keep it coming…..CBS’s lost.

Arnold and Elizabeth February 23, 2013 at 11:30 pm

We really love Flashpoint!!!! hate how they chose to end season 5, it really sucked they should have drug it out a little longer prior to jewls having the baby and their good bye’s Waiting for Season 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We always watch it on ION never really watched it on CBS or any other channel for that matter!!!!!

Dell February 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Love the show!!!!!!! I have been a fan from the beginning and I’m glad that it will be back.

rose February 21, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Love flashpoint dont know why they are not on ????

Prudy January 25, 2013 at 10:56 am

I love this show. I watched it when it frist aired on cbs loved it then and love it now. I hope they can continue to air it. It would be a shame to take it off the air now.

fay harrison November 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

First of all, I own all 4 of the previous seasons. Each story is great and I sincerely hope it can have a season 6.

This program is smart….it deserves to kept!! And I would be most happy if it is kept!!

Deborah Price October 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I fell in LOVE with this show when it started on ION. I had been watching Criminal Minds on ION also Cold Case. I was really disappointed when Cold Case was taken off the air. I really love the whole cast that performs on Flashpoint!! When watching this show it actually looks and feels real. The hardships they go through and the joys and sorrows just seem life like!!! Please if at all possible give this show many more episodes. If shows like “King of the hill”, “Simpsons”, “Family Guy” and “South Park” can continue to make it ( I do not watch these shows due to content and such, does not impress me at all) lets keep a family healthy show on for just that “THE FAMILY”.

Kathy Helsley October 16, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I watch the old seasons on ION all the time. I could not be happier that it’s back!
I have spread the word to every Flashpoint fan! There are alot of happy people out there! What a gift.

kathy October 10, 2012 at 10:11 am

love, love this show. soooooooooo happy that it has been picked up for the 5th season. called all my friends to let them know. they too are excited about seeing this great show again.

Sheryl September 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I love this show…because I too just started watching ION tv early last year I caught this show and criminal minds….I LOVE this show..so wonderful to have a cop drama resonate with caring, ena intermingled lives of top cops that have to get down and dirty…I had a weekend off and decided to rent the full four seasons…and still have my tv going when its on ION. to not only show my love for this show but hopefully help with the ratings to let them know that they should not even think about just one more season but MANY more seasons…. THE only thing that worries me is that Sam and Jules are going to hit that brick wall women face when they love the job they do but still want to have a family…..which men can continue to do in their line of work but which Jules will more then likely have to give up…I heard a rumour she is really pregnant in the fifth season which would tie in with the sublte hints of her starting to want to have a baby…but how would she stay with her unit ….I know Sam could but she would likely look selfish if she went back to work while leaving a baby at home…I just dont see a way out of this for her while keeping her and Sam sexy and on the edge of your seat waiting to see Sam react when he thinks she is in the line of fire…I love this two stories\multilple stories of this and they should even think about a spin off if they dont keep this drama going…I NEVER want to lose the team one stories or the Sam and Jules storyline… I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!

maureen reilly September 23, 2012 at 9:06 am

Love Flashpoint and all the stars. Please keep it going.