Flashpoint: Fans Can Relax; CBS Renews Cop Show for Season Three

FlashpointFaithful Flashpoint viewers can finally breath easy. CBS has renewed the cop drama for a third season.

Following the work of a group of highly trained police officers called Strategic Response Unit (SRU), the show stars Enrico Colantoni, David Paetkau, Hugh Dillon, Sergio Di Zio, Michael Cram, Mark Taylor, Ruth Marshall, and Amy Jo Johnson.

A Canada-based series, Flashpoint was initially produced for the CTV network. CBS picked up the rights to air the first season of episodes, in part to bank programming during the writers strike. It ended up being a ratings success for the network when it began airing in July 2008.

Both CTV and CBS renewed the series for a second year and those episodes began airing in February 2009. Nine additional installments were ordered with the plan to start running them in July. CBS changed the plan and decided to hold them until mid-season 2009-10. (CTV began running that batch in September.)

Are you glad that Flashpoint's coming back?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The absence of Flashpoint from the schedule has made many viewers nervous — especially in light of the fact that Medium now fills the cop show’s old timeslot.

Well, Flashpoint fans can rest a little bit easier now. Not only has the network not forgotten about the show but they’ve just ordered 13 additional installments. That will bring the season three total to 22 episodes.

CBS still hasn’t set a specific return date but, since at least nine episodes have already been completed, the network could use them to replace an under-performing show (read: Three Rivers).

What do you think? Are you excited to see another round of Flashpoint? Would you cancel an existing CBS show to bring it back sooner?

Canceled and renewed TV show

47 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jeff says

Horrible show. The acting, except for Enrico, is bland at best. No edge. No grit. In the end, just a bunch of pretty people running around with guns. The show had potential but sub par casting and a lack of ESU reality makes it simply rank

2. Barbara says

I am SO excited to see Flashpoint returning! More than just a HUGE TV HIT, Flashpoint is decent, touching and definitly not bad on the eyes! The actors are amazing and exploding with talent. Thank you CBS!

3. Timothy says

“Everything can change — in a FLASH!”

Excellent! They’re bringing back CBS’s/CTV’s hit…and I know — EXACTLY — what time-slot that they could put it in: MONDAY’s @ 10:00 PM (Sorry, “Miami”!)

4. Brian A. says

Glad the show is renewed. It was a rare show that you wish there was more show when the hour is up. Hope it comes back sooner than later.

5. DENISE says

GLAD THEY ARE BRINGING FLASHPOINT BACK.THERE ARE ATLEAST A DOZEN SHOWS THAT CBS COULD GET REID OFF.SO TIRED OF MESSING AND CANCELLING GOOD SHOWS.HURRY AND BRING IT BACK

6. Patrick says

HOORAY! I am sooooo glad the show is coming back on. I freaking hate Medium, makes me wanna puke. I cant wait to watch it with my father who enjoys the show as well….get FLASHPOINT back on the air as soon as possible here in the USA!

7. Denise says

It would be GREAT if CBS would start with the Pilot, so I could get to see all the shows, before the new season begins. I feel in LOVE with Flashpoint in the middle of last season!!

8. Marnita says

Yes Flashpoint needs more seasons. There are several shows CBS could get rid of to make the time slot for this show!

9. Mary Townsend says

I am soooo happy Flashpoint is returning to CBS it is the best news I have heard in a long time will be glad when I see it again

10. WolvenSpectre says

No spoilers here, but as a Canadian I have seen the start of this season, and the first episode is possibly the best of the series, and I will be surprised if it doesn’t win awards up here, although I don’t think it will be as big of a hit award wise down there.