Friends with Benefits: New NBC Sitcom; Cancel or Keep It?

Friends with Benefits cancel or keepA couple weeks ago, the peacock network finally started airing their new Friends with Benefits sitcom. The pilot for the TV show was developed for ABC but they passed on the series and NBC picked it up. Now that the show’s debuted, is the alphabet network regretting their decision or will the sitcom flop and be quickly cancelled?

Friends with Benefits revolves around a group of friends who live in Chicago and their relationships are complicated to say the least. Ben Lewis (Ryan Hansen) is on the hunt for the perfect woman who can meet his impossibly high standards. His best friend, Doctor Sara Maxwell (Danneel Harris), just wants a compatible man and to raise a family with him. They end up turning to each other for both moral and physical support as they wait for their mates to come along. Others in the cast include Zach Cregger, Andre Holland, and Jessica Lucas.

The NBC sitcom debuted with a pair of episodes on August 5th. The first one brought a terrible 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and only 2.34 million viewers. It was third in the timeslot, tying with a repeat of Bones on FOX. The episode that followed at 8:30 dropped 14% to an even worse 0.6 demo rating and 1.96 million total viewers.

The following week’s installments fell again to a 0.5 rating and an average of 1.84 million. They were in fourth place in the timeslot, only beating a repeat of The CW’s Nikita. Last Friday’s episodes didn’t do any better.

Friends with Benefits is easily the worst performing original series on NBC. To put it in perspective, Minute to Win It is doing terribly but still gets about twice the ratings of Friends with Benefits. The peacock network execs obviously didn’t have much faith in Friends with Benefits which is why they delayed it until summer. Still, just how badly the show is actually doing is likely still a shock.

There is absolutely no way that NBC will be renewing this sitcom for a second season. If anything, they’ll pull it before all of the episodes have aired. For right now, episodes 11 and 12 are scheduled to air on September 9th. That will leave one remaining installment but, with ratings like these, the network hardly has any incentive to want to find a spot for the season/series finale.

But what do you think? Do you like Friends with Benefits? Would you like to see it renewed for a second season or just quickly cancelled?

Tiffany September 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I absolutely loved it and i never heard of it on TV either. I sat and watched all 13 episodes and looked to see if it was still on TV, when i found this. I think if it was properly advertised a lot of people would keep watching

DeAndre September 26, 2012 at 3:43 pm

This show is GREAT! i never heard of it until netflix….and I am from Chicago, which makes show even better. when I tell one of my friends about it, they think im talking about the movie. this TV Show needs more ads and it will be money!!!

rose September 25, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Yeah. I agree I don’t think it was properly advertized because I had never herd of it. Before netflix! Its a def keeper

Anonymous September 25, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Show is amazingly funny couldnt stop watching it.

Juliana vazquez September 24, 2012 at 1:41 am

Lobed it just watched it on netflix and i want season2!!!!

Abby September 22, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Watched all 12 episodes on Netflix and LOVE it!!! Please, please don’t let it go!

Oscar Rayo September 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Loved it. Just finished watching the whole first Season in Netflix. Please bring season 2 back.

Mona September 20, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Pretty sure it’s true that it didn’t get properly promoted. I never heard on it before and watched it on Netflix. I REALLY LOVED IT!
The cast is great, the stories clever and the script is just funny :)

Pam September 20, 2012 at 4:51 am

Started watching this show on netflixs. Its fresh and very funny. Love the cast of characters and the way the reference their flashbacks. I don’t think it got properly promoted. Its funnier than some of those sitcoms that get a lot of positive spin like Mike and Molly, which I don’t get at all.

Please renew!

Tawny September 19, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I love this show!!! It def deserves another season! I got hooked watching it on Netflix went to order the 2nd season online and was devastated because there is no second season! :(

Jt September 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Please season 2!!!

candy September 16, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I love this show how could anyone think its bad I really hope there’s going to be a season 2

Adrian September 16, 2012 at 12:46 am

I love this show. Isnt as good as how I met your mother, but it definitely has the potential to be . Is in my top 10 “friends” like shows that Ive seen in my life.

Kendraa September 16, 2012 at 12:27 am

They should seriously bring this show back & do a season 2! I watched it on netflix & couldn’t stop watching it .

Rae September 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Are you kidding??!!?? This show is amazing!!!!!!! So funny!!!!! Why would anyone stop airing it? There had better be more seasons coming soon!!!