Friends with Benefits: New NBC Sitcom; Cancel or Keep It?

Friends with Benefits cancel or keepA couple weeks ago, the peacock network finally started airing their new Friends with Benefits sitcom. The pilot for the TV show was developed for ABC but they passed on the series and NBC picked it up. Now that the show’s debuted, is the alphabet network regretting their decision or will the sitcom flop and be quickly cancelled?

Friends with Benefits revolves around a group of friends who live in Chicago and their relationships are complicated to say the least. Ben Lewis (Ryan Hansen) is on the hunt for the perfect woman who can meet his impossibly high standards. His best friend, Doctor Sara Maxwell (Danneel Harris), just wants a compatible man and to raise a family with him. They end up turning to each other for both moral and physical support as they wait for their mates to come along. Others in the cast include Zach Cregger, Andre Holland, and Jessica Lucas.

The NBC sitcom debuted with a pair of episodes on August 5th. The first one brought a terrible 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and only 2.34 million viewers. It was third in the timeslot, tying with a repeat of Bones on FOX. The episode that followed at 8:30 dropped 14% to an even worse 0.6 demo rating and 1.96 million total viewers.

The following week’s installments fell again to a 0.5 rating and an average of 1.84 million. They were in fourth place in the timeslot, only beating a repeat of The CW’s Nikita. Last Friday’s episodes didn’t do any better.

Friends with Benefits is easily the worst performing original series on NBC. To put it in perspective, Minute to Win It is doing terribly but still gets about twice the ratings of Friends with Benefits. The peacock network execs obviously didn’t have much faith in Friends with Benefits which is why they delayed it until summer. Still, just how badly the show is actually doing is likely still a shock.

There is absolutely no way that NBC will be renewing this sitcom for a second season. If anything, they’ll pull it before all of the episodes have aired. For right now, episodes 11 and 12 are scheduled to air on September 9th. That will leave one remaining installment but, with ratings like these, the network hardly has any incentive to want to find a spot for the season/series finale.

But what do you think? Do you like Friends with Benefits? Would you like to see it renewed for a second season or just quickly cancelled?

Camille February 15, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Love it hopes they get picked up for another season,I just find it, people have book club me and my groups have shows and movies,and we just finished it on Netflix so let me know if it’s coming back please.q

Julie January 27, 2014 at 3:43 am

I just watched all 13 episodes on Netflix for the first time. I totally loved it!

Guadalupe January 25, 2014 at 7:48 am

Best show ever its very addicting please keep making this show you won’t regret it so many fans would appreciate and watch the show and bring back the show and if possible with same cast we have been waiting forever. Thank you for your time

Ashleigh January 17, 2014 at 3:28 am

I can’t believe NBC cancelled “Friends with Benefits”. I was so addicted to it. I watched the whole first season on Netflix, in 2 days! It was comical, fun, and just enjoyable! I really think NBC should rethink this. Maybe some advertising would have helped people know it was on. I’ve seriously never laughed so hard at a TV show, ever! Bummer for me I guess :(

Joana January 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm

it was an amazing show… not fair

Jen January 6, 2014 at 4:03 am

I LOVE THIS SHOW! It probably is my new favorite show. The cast and script are great. I would watch this as often as I watch Teen Wolf and Pretty Little Liars… that’s saying something. Very relatable!

Leah fowler December 30, 2013 at 3:35 am

This show was one of the best shows I have ever had the privilege of watching.
It is both hilarious and relatable. I love that show and I and greatly saddened that
It will not be renewed for a new season!
Maybe the reason it didn’t get high reviews is not because of the show but because
Of the people at NBC not doing their job and making the show more known. Bones didn’t
Become a hit with one season. And the show also had good producers who knew how
To sell the show.
The problem isn’t the show it’s the producers

abdullah December 28, 2013 at 6:05 am

this show is amazing !! why stop it !!? its better than a lot of the top shows out there

Nicole December 13, 2013 at 12:26 am

Bring the show back!!!!!! i loved it and am mad that there were only 13 episodes without a season finale even. bring this back please its one of the shows that actually makes me laugh.

Andrew December 12, 2013 at 3:09 am

I think this show is hilarious!! Pleeeeease bring it back !!!

Vicky November 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm

i want that show back!!

ferni November 6, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I love it! ! I want another season! !!!!!!! Pleaseee

George November 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Why did you stop broadcast this amazing show. It was so amazing, just now watched season 1 and I very, very want to see season!

ruth November 4, 2013 at 4:26 am

Give us a second season please!!! I’ve been waiting since forever! :/ I love this show and I REALLY wanna see what happens next! Bring it back plz!!!!!

fer October 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

eu amo o seriado, acho o fim da picada não ter uma segunda temporada… saco!!!