Friends with Better Lives: CBS Comedy Cancelled after Five Episodes

friends with better lives tv show canceledIn its pursuit to find shows with better ratings, CBS has cancelled Friends with Better Lives, the new Monday night sitcom.

Friends with Better Lives follows the lives of six young people who are at various stages of their lives — married, divorced, newly engaged, and single — with each wondering if the others have it better. The cast includes Majandra Delfino, Kevin Connolly, Brooklyn Decker, Rick Donald, Zoe Lister-Jones, and James Van Der Beek.

This new sitcom debuted at the end of March, following the series finale of How I Met Your Mother. Not surprisingly, it drew solid ratings.

Unfortunately, when Friends with Better Lives returned in its regular timeslot a couple weeks later, viewership dropped more than 25%.

The ratings dropped lower after that and the most recent installment hit a series low with a 1.6 rating in the 18-49 demograpjic with 4.92 million viewers. For CBS, that just won’t cut it.

The network ordered 13 episodes of the sitcom and five have aired so far. Two more are still on the schedule so it’s unclear right now if the network will end up releasing the rest.

What do you think? Do you think that CBS should have cancelled Friends with Better Lives or renewed it for a second season instead? Will you keep watching?

Canceled and renewed TV show

279 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Lee says

I enjoyed the show. I was wondering where it was . Compared to a lot on tv now this show made me laugh and it was fun.

2. Liliana says

I can’t believe they cancel the show, I had a great time watching it, I laughed so much in some shows that my stomach hurt. Yes, I will definetly watch it if they bring it back.

3. Jamie says

This show had a lot of promise, I thought it was better than HIMYM even though I was a fan of that show and watched it religiously. This just proves that network TV is clueless and that Internet TV programming with eventually render you irrelevant.

4. Rachelle Birbeck says

Fwbl is amazing. If they think of cancelling it they are soooo wrong. Its like the new friends for the new generation.

5. Wendy Burke says

This show was so good. I was talking about it to my husband wondering what happen to that show last year. We loved how I met your Mother & started to watch this after we watched that show. We continued watching even when How I met your Mother went off. They say they cancelled or ordered more shows. You need to get this back on the air. I have to say the episodes got better as they aired. CBS get this back on. It is like Rules of Engagement, great show, but not enough people know how great this sitcom was. Wendy

6. says

This show was so funny! Please bring it back. I looked forward to it each week. It was a bad call to cancel it. Give it a chance. CBS has the best shows, this isn’t the first one that they shouldn’t have cancelled. Forget the time slot, ask the people. Please bring it back!!!!

7. says

I love this show it was funny as hell, the best comedy on tv for 2014, so please bring it back please, fair is fair give it a chance like any other show, Monday nights would be good to show the friend with better lives…anyways again I love the show…. :)

8. Penny says

The show was absolutely hilarious I couldn’t wait for it to return and was upset to see if they maybe changing the timeslot was the issue not the show itself