Fringe: Renewed for Final, Fifth Season

Fringe renewed and canceledFOX has given fans of Fringe a nice gift. Though the network could have easily cancelled the show due to poor ratings (even by Friday night standards), FOX has renewed the sci-fi TV series for a fifth and final season.

The 2012-13 season will be comprised of 13 episodes and will give the cast and crew an opportunity to wrap up the ongoing storylines. It will also bring the show’s episode count to 100, a quantity suitable for syndication.

Last spring, despite unimpressive numbers, FOX gave Fringe a full season renewal of 22 episodes. Season four finishes airing on May 11th.

Here’s the press release from FOX:

HOT FROM FOX…

FOX BOOKS “FRINGE” FOR A FIFTH AND FINAL CHAPTER

13 Episodes Ordered for 2012-2013 Season

FOX has picked up FRINGE for a fifth and final 13-episode season, it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company.

“FRINGE is a remarkably creative series that has set the bar as one of television’s most imaginative dramas. Bringing it back for a final 13 allows us to provide the climactic conclusion that its passionate and loyal fans deserve,” said Reilly “The amazing work the producers, writers and the incredibly talented cast and crew have delivered the last four seasons has literally been out of this world. Although the end is bittersweet, it’s going to be a very exciting final chapter.”

FRINGE co-creator and executive producer J.J. Abrams added, “We are thrilled and beyond grateful that FOX – and our fans – have made the impossible possible: FRINGE will continue into a fifth season that will allow the series to conclude in a wild and thrilling way. All of us at Bad Robot are forever indebted to our viewers and the amazingly supportive FOX network for allowing the adventures of Fringe Division to not only continue, but to resolve in a way that perfectly fits the show.”

“This pickup means the world (both of them) to us, because we love sharing these stories with our enthusiastic fans,” added FRINGE showrunners and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “On behalf of the cast and crew, we applaud our fans and FOX for allowing us to imagine the impossibilities together for so long. Season Five is going to be a conclusive thrill ride for all of us.”

FRINGE’s compelling fourth season concludes with three all-new FRINGE Friday episodes in a row, counting down to the two-part season finale on Friday, May 4 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Friday, May 11 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). In “Worlds Apart,” airing Friday, April 27 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), team members on both sides, including Olivia (Anna Torv) and Peter (Joshua Jackson), continue to fight for a common cause, and there are shocking developments tied to the Cortexiphan children.

Created by J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, FRINGE is produced by Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Jeff Pinkner, J.H. Wyman and Joe Chappelle serve as executive producers, while Kurtzman, Orci and Akiva Goldsman are consulting producers. Additionally, Pinkner and Wyman serve as the series’ showrunners. “Like” FRINGE on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fringe. Follow the series on Twitter @fringeonfox and join the conversation at #Fringe.

What do you think? Are you glad that FOX has renewed Fringe? Given the ratings, should they have? Are you upset that this will be the end or glad that the show got 13 more episodes?

Ml July 18, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Olivia and Peter are great together. Made me cry!! love the show so sorry that it has to end.

Caveman Carl July 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I simply love Fridge and wish it would continue. There are so few Sci-fi shows being produced. I personally feel Fox is making a mistake by having such a large time span between seasons. I find myself seeking other networks now to fulfill my sci-fi fix. DVR numbers need to count because we are still watching the show and purchasing from sponsors.

To keep this show playing, we all need to watch Fringe live when it aires so FOX can get their numbers.

richard winters June 12, 2012 at 8:30 am

I watch the DVD’s over ans over!! very well written show. Olive and Josh belong together I hope the show ends up the way. I buy very few DVD’s any more there to expensive, but I will buy fringe

richard winters June 12, 2012 at 8:25 am

Best sci fi drama show of TV. Just on a bad night. Change the night and watch the ratings go way up. Friday and sat nights are party and bar nights,

Onnye chamberlain May 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm

This is one of the best shows since X files. Why don’t the idiots in charge switch the program back to midweek. There is so much garbage on fox, I can’t believe they did’nt try to switch time slots before cancelling!!! It is still not too late to try next season!!!!

mommat May 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I am so glad that FOX is renewing Fringe. One of the best shows on TV. Always left you on th edge of your seat. The storyline is great and it leaves you wanting more. At least FOX has given Fringe the opportunity to finalize the ongoing stories. Thanks FOX and maybe the rating will go up and they will stay on!

David North May 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

After Fox’s failure-fan betrayals with Firefly and Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles I was stunned when they remained committed to the FANS of Fringe (who are their customers). The show is far better than most things on most networks and my wife and I never have missed an episode. I had sworn after TTSCC that I would never watch another FOX scifi series again but Fringe made me break that promise.

Thanks FOX for rewarding us viewers with a full show. Faith a little more renewed in you now.

tangelo May 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I looked forwaed to watching Fringe everyweek. Thank you Fox and Bad Robot for keeping Fringe going another year. I love the everything about it….esp. the cast…I miss them already. Please….enough with the reality shows…..reality sucks.

Toni May 14, 2012 at 6:59 am

I am so relieved that Fringe has been saved for one more season – It deserves the opportunity to wrap things up like Lost did !! The writing is extraordinary – just a shame that more people never got into the show because it is that GOOD !!

Kaye May 12, 2012 at 11:50 am

Fringe is my favorite show on television. I very glad it’s back for another season. Thanks for bringing it back!

Jane May 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Fabulous show which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you bad Robot and Fox for at least giving us a final season to wrap it up. Am missing it already :-(

betty harris May 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm

NEVER miss an episode of this great show. I hope Fox has something after the final in 2013 to keep its fans. I am already dreading Fringe going off a year from now. So sad.

MrSports May 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Great to see TV Execs do the right thing for a change… since ’24’ left the little screen, Fringe has taken its place as the #1 show for originality and thoughtfulness… I love seeing scientific theories enjoyed by so many people….
Thanks again FOX!

Lana April 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

I love Fringe! Why doesn’t dvr count in the ratings? It should. We will miss you Fringe!

John Lokista April 29, 2012 at 8:51 am

Well played, Fox. Well played.

Fringe is my favorite show on television, and I was truly saddened when I first learned that Fox was contemplating discontinuance. Typically, when you here something like that, it’s over. So when I read this story, and learned that Fox was giving it one more season, I was ecstatic.

I believe Fringe represented the next step in agitative programming that picked up where the X Files (another underapprrciated series) left off. Hopefully for those of us TV viewers with imagination and curiosity, another show will come along soon to carry on in a similar fashion.

I will miss you Fringe. You entertained and delighted me for years. (Even your creative marketing will be missed, such as when Fox placed “watchers” in the stands at the World Series–and other events–and then casually panned past them with the cameras during the games.)

It’s a sad day.