Fringe: Season Five Ratings

Last season of Fringe ratingsThe fans of Fringe don’t have to watch the ratings and worry that their show will be cancelled this season. FOX has already announced that the show is ending after 13 episodes. Still, it’s fun to track how well the final episodes and series finale perform.

The fifth season of Fringe typically airs Friday nights at 9pm on the FOX network. There are just 13 episodes. The cast includes Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, John Noble, Blair Brown, Jasika Nicole, and Lance Reddick.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, ordinarily the best way to tell if Fringe would be cancelled or renewed for another season.

Final season averages: 1.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.82 million total viewers.

Episode 05-13: Friday, 01/18/13
1.0 in the demo (-9% change) with 3.09 million (-9% change).
Season averages: 0.97 in the demo with 2.82 million.

Episode 05-12: Friday, 01/18/13
1.1 in the demo (+38% change) with 3.28 million (+34% change).
Season averages: 0.97 in the demo with 2.80 million.

Episode 05-11: Friday, 01/11/13
0.8 in the demo (-20% change) with 2.44 million (-19% change).
Season averages: 0.95 in the demo with 2.76 million.

Episode 05-10: Friday, 12/21/12
1.0 in the demo (-9% change) with 3.02 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 0.97 in the demo with 2.79 million.

Episode 05-09: Friday, 12/14/12
1.1 in the demo (+22% change) with 3.12 million (+15% change).
Season averages: 0.97 in the demo with 2.76 million.

Episode 05-08: Friday, 12/07/12
0.9 in the demo (0% change) with 2.71 million (0% change).
Season averages: 0.95 in the demo with 2.72 million.

Episode 05-07: Friday, 11/16/12
0.9 in the demo (0% change) with 2.70 million (+9% change).
Season averages: 0.96 in the demo with 2.72 million.

Episode 05-06: Friday, 11/09/12
0.9 in the demo (0% change) with 2.47 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 0.97 in the demo with 2.72 million.

Episode 05-05: Friday, 11/02/12
0.9 in the demo (0% change) with 2.58 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 0.98 in the demo with 2.77 million.

Episode 05-04: Friday, 10/26/12
0.9 in the demo (-10% change) with 2.55 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.00 in the demo with 2.82 million.

Episode 05-03: Friday, 10/12/12
1.0 in the demo (0% change) with 2.64 million (-11% change).
Season averages: 1.03 in the demo with 2.91 million.

Episode 05-02: Friday, 10/05/12
1.0 in the demo (-9% change) with 2.98 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 1.05 in the demo with 3.05 million.

Episode 05-01: Friday, 09/28/12
1.1 in the 18-49 demographic with 3.12 million total viewers.
Season averages: 1.1 in the demo with 3.12 million.

This was the show’s lowest premiere to date and essentially matched a rerun of The X Factor that preceded it. Last season’s premiere attracted a 1.5 in the demo with 3.48 million.

Reference point: The 2011-12 (fourth) season averaged a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 3.07 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you still like the Fringe TV series? Are you upset that there won’t be a sixth season or just happy that it wasn’t abruptly cancelled earlier?

Tino June 30, 2013 at 3:45 am

Just started watching the show and I am sad that its already cancelled.

Rachel January 13, 2013 at 4:22 am

I don’t have access to Fox, so watched this show almost daily, sometimes 4 or 5 series at a time despite my laptop overheating and having to restart it regularly. I can honestly say I have never been so addicted to any other show in my 60 years of life.

I agree, with others in that it was disappointing that the story line didn’t carry on in the same timeline and feel that the future timeline Observer episodes would have been better saved till a later season after following the story line through. There were also other blips such as the Charlie character turning up after he’d been killed by a shape shifter and Philip Broyles being discovered as a member of the resistance with no further explanation given. But for me, in comparison to the overall material, these blips were a drop in the ocean.

I only discovered it late last year and being 2012, thought the whole concept was particularly relevant to human history i.e. ‘the end of time’, ‘the end of life as we have known it’ etc. Many of the concepts explored reflect esoteric, new age and of course quantum mechanic theories and the magic that accompanies them. I had hoped that a more positive future could have been explored in the show in a later season.

I love the characters, in particular, the loveable eccentric Walter, with his whacky food fads/high periods and I missed his compassionate side during his memory loss. I was also impressed with the subtle changes in all characters in different Universes, for me this is a sign of excellent acting.

Unfortunately I am now up to date and am horrified to discover there are only 2 more series left. There is so much more potential for exploration and for me, no other show compares with the concepts and material used to based this story line on. Probably time to get a life?…

Michael M December 22, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Fringe totally lost it this season. I’m only watching at this point to see it through to the end. They completely sidestepped the whole thing about Peter having been erased, then returning and being in the wrong timeline. And they completely sidestepped the whole part about the parallel universes colliding which they spent 4 seasons building up. It’s the same thing as when Dallas explained an entire season as being someone’s dream.

Rob December 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

@Michael M:

I completely agree – the best parts of the series, the most complexly developed plot arcs have been truncated in favor of the more sensational “big brother” angles. Its disappointing and tiresome. I also miss the “Olivia as savior” arc. I too am following Fringe just to know the ending, but I’m no longer as invested in the characters as I once was.

charlene December 17, 2012 at 1:32 am

I simply love this show! I cant believe other series has been on air for more than 7seasons giving the same storyline but as Fringe tries to give their viewer a broader stage– they cancel it. Too sad..

Why Watch November 20, 2012 at 11:30 am

The Observers storyline has dragged on too long. If they had stuck to the original premise of Fringe, the unexplained events, the show would be that better off, and perhaps more watched. But since they have not, it is time to end this show before it sinks any further.

Sean December 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

There is still unexplained events that they try to explain, its just not crime scenes/ FBI cases.

Mani November 12, 2012 at 1:19 pm

From my pointerview fringe is the best sci- fi ever!! Im cant belive after 6 more episodes itll be gone forever. The main cast are like a real family. The crazy perfect storyline, the action and everything else is perfect. I enjoyed watching it more than any other tv series in the past 10 years. I hope after season 5 itll go on in one way or the other.

Warren November 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Don’t cancel it…just sell it to Sci-Fi channel.

Cheryl November 10, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Fringe is by far the best series I have watch on television in a long time.
I have recommended this show to family and friends that have become hooked and addicted to the show. As I have as well.
We will hate to see show end because we all fell their is so much potential in taking the the show to the next level. Hope another network can pick it up.
Anyway J.J. I wish I could meet the team that came together to provide the viewers with such a unique show. And for what it’s worth, if I do not I will still support the show regardless.
Keep up the good work and all the creations you have allowed us to enjoy.

-ccc

Samara November 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love this show! After each episode I think, only 9 more left, only 8 more left, etc… I am devastated to see it end! I truly believe that this show has way more viewers than the antiquated and inaccurate Neilson ratings show! I miss the scientific mysteries and watching them try to solve them, too! I also miss Peter and Olivia being a couple in love! Now they are like a separated couple that has to work together, it’s sad! Why can’t sci-fi shows make it on network channels anymore?

Why Watch October 29, 2012 at 10:30 am

I have enjoyed Fringe in the past and by the end of Season 4 wished they had continued the alternative universe story – there still was a lot of play there. this fight against the bald, hat wearers just doesn’t fit in. I miss the unusual science ailments and mysteries.

Olivier October 28, 2012 at 5:33 am

The x-files is the best show ever we still waiting XF3 film fox
For fringe 5 seasons is more than enough season 4 is bad the best season of fringe season 3

Harold October 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Damn, this show is going down, its sad to see the numbers getting lower and lower…at least its the final season, and there’s nothing to worry about

Becky October 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I still find Fringe entertaining, but I agree that it shouldn’t have lasted this long. It started out with an interesting storyline, but they’ve changed it in ways that don’t work as well.

Martine October 1, 2012 at 2:14 am

This show simply needs to be cancelled. I completely gave up on it when the doubles came to play. Idiotic science, bad acting, and dead horse tropes are all I see on that show. Please, kill it.

XweAponX September 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

The show would have fared better had it been left where it was. Also working against the show starting from the very strong 1st season was removing the “limited commercials” status. All through S1, I watched the show right on Fox as it was broadcast. But in S2, the moment I realised no more limited commercials, I went back to my habit of watching the show on Hulu, (until they started forcing the commercials) at which point I either bought them 1 by 1 the week after broadcast from Amazon or got them some other way. It wasn’t until Mid S3 that I started leaving my Cable box tuned to Fox during Broadcast, to help the ratings. But the show never did as well on Fridays as it did when it was for the first 3 and a half seasons. I’d rather have a full 5th season, and I’d rather this show had a good seven seasons like the X-files had, and the only problem with that show was they carried it on past the planned ending and had to think up two new seasons. FRINGE should have had 7 season to tell this story, which is now rushed into 13 episodes. If only it could go to another network who will air it at a reasonable time, and given the resources needed to make fine episodes, I’ll follow this show anywhere it goes: Because this show has sparked our imaginations like no other show has in the last 10 years.

Sue October 28, 2012 at 6:53 am

I agree!

Lolly November 4, 2012 at 2:47 am

well said. I agree . I would love to c 7 seasons Also there daughter should have staqy alive longer to explain TO THEM & TO US in the mean time WHAT WAS THE PLAN OF THE OBSERVERS ? How to block there toughts from the observers. What as happenned to the parallel peoples that become there friends ? I’m a bit at lost ? So 2 more seasons to develp more & explain to us more of what they have to do to correct the futur & why cause it is vague compair to the previous seasons. I don’t think i’m the only one at lost regarding what an observer is able to do & how ? Thanks