Fringe: FOX TV Series Renewed for Season Four

Fringe renewedIt turns out that being sent to Friday nights isn’t necessarily a death sentence. FOX has announced that they have renewed Fringe for a full fourth season of 22 episodes. Fans of the sci-fi series can relax for quite awhile now.

The news come nearly a week after Fringe posted season low ratings last Friday. On Thursday nights, opposite steep competition, Fringe was averaging a 1.9 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and about five million total viewers. Fans got understandably nervous when the network decided to move the series to Friday nights but execs maintained that, as long as the series kept most of its viewers, the show would be safe.

Remarkably, Fringe maintained its numbers for a couple weeks but then they started to slide, garnering a 1.3 in the demo and 3.8 million last Friday. Despite the ratings decline, the network has renewed Fringe for a fourth season — and a full one at that.

Of the pick-up, J.J. Abrams told Vulture, “Whew! And thanks to Fringe-rs everywhere!!!!” Meanwhile, Fringe executive producer J.H. Wyman tweeted, “Fringe was picked up!!!! Thanks Fringedom!”

What do you think? Are you surprised that Fringe was renewed? Are you glad to hear it? Do you think that will be the end of the show?

Canceled and renewed TV show

40 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. maura king says

Fringe is a great show. I don’t care when you air it. I only watch shows that are tivoed or dvred. We don’t get counted but we are there and the networks had better think of us or they will be cancelling alot of good shows that people watch.

2. Sarah Hehn says

I am sooooo happy! Fringe is one of the best shows on TV and well worth watching. Thank you for another season. Looking forward to it already. Fantastic news!

3. Chuck Lewis says

I’m absolutely shocked! Fringe is one of THE best Sci-Fi shows of all time. Great scripts & even better characters/actors. I’m cautiously pleased that the suits FINALLY gave a quality show another chance. Bravo & thanks for giving us more episodes of a true Sc- Fi gem.

4. Samara says

This is wonderful news! Thanks to everyone who was loyal, faithful, and helped to keep the networks aware that we love “Fringe”! I have never missed an episode – and I never intend to in the future! Color me happy!

5. Rzink says

Yea,great news!! My wife and I love this show. Excellent twists and plot’s abd surprised endings make this one of the great shows in years.

6. imoth says

I absolutely love this show. There isn’t a character/actor I don’t love, which rare for me.
    If I needed to choose one show to renew, it would have been Fringe.

7. nalex says

There’s is a God. It would be a sin to cancel Fringe. Were they always that happy looking in that picture or have they just heard the good news?

8. Chels K says

I could not be happier. I hope people watch the earlier seasons to get up to speed on this fantastic series.

9. REC says

I am so glad that Fringe got a season 4 pickup, and fairly early, considering it’s usually May when they announce pickups (but this TV season, some shows got next season pickups in Nov. so I’m not too surprised). Fringe is getting so good and I had no doubt it would get the axe this season. Now all us Fringe fans need to worry about is it getting a season 5 and 6. I remember hearing the creators had the entire series mapped out over a span of 6 seasons. Fringe truly is a great science-fiction TV show that resembles elements of The X-Files while in cooperating ultimate conspiracy/mystery elements such as Lost (which was created by the same man, J.J. Abrams). I look forward and hope to see Fringe go on for the next 3 seasons.

10. Dave says

WOOT!! Best show on television!! Thank you to all the other Die-Hard Fringe fanatics for keeping this show alive!!

11. Beth Coccaro says

I love Fringe. Anna Torv is Murdoch’s niece. Hello Renewal.

Fringe was moved to Fridays, so American Idol did not have to compete with #1 Rated NCIS on Tuesday nights. Idol then took over Weds and Thurs. My only question was what Bones numbers regularly are, because they kept Bones on Thurs nights.