Gary Unmarried: TV Show Cancelled, No Season Three

Gary UnmarriedAfter two seasons on the air, CBS has pulled the plug on their Wednesday night sitcom, Gary Unmarried. The TV show won’t be back in the fall for season three.

Gary Unmarried revolves around a newly-divorced house-painter and dad, Gary Brooks (Jay Mohr), who’s readjusting to the single life. Others in the cast include Paula Marshall, Ryan Malgarini, Kathryn Newton, Keegan-Michael Key, and Brooke D’Orsay.

The sitcom debuted in September of 2008 to a mediocre 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.84 million viewers. The first season’s 20 episodes ended up averaging a 2.2 in the demo and 7.06 million viewers.

Those numbers put Gary Unmarried on the bubble for renewal. It ultimately escaped cancellation, likely because CBS co-produces the sitcom and decided to keep trying to make the Wednesday night comedy block work.

This season, the show’s ratings didn’t improve, averaging a 2.2 in the demo and 6.8 million viewers.

That wasn’t good enough to earn a renewal this time around and CBS has cancelled the series after 37 episodes. The network has also canned The New Adventures of Old Christine and Accidentally on Purpose.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Gary Unmarried’s been cancelled, that there won’t be a third season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

381 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. nadine says

That one of the best sitcoms I ever watched,funny as ….., and I am shocked it got canceled.
    Cant wait for Gary ti get bk with Allison

2. Patrick says

This was one of the Best TV shows I’ve watched.. It will be great to have this show back.. Maybe a little bit of publicity and sure the viewers will increase..

3. Leo says

I can’t believe it ended like that!!! That’s so stupid. If you start something you have to finish it no matter what! I was so excited watching the last episode of Gary unmarried. But when I saw that, I was looking for the real last episode and then I realized there was no last episode. That was it. I got so pissed! That was a good program, so it can’t end like that!

4. Tas says

Bring it back. It’s so realistic and genuinely funny.
    I don’t appreciate that you just killed the characters like that. We are so attached and we want to see more :(

5. Heshan006 says

People in CBS are just plain stupid for cancelling this show….I honestly can watch the same episode again and again and still find it hilarious…Loves every single minute of it….

6. John says

I’m lebanese and used to watch garry unmarried from Lebanon. By for one of the greatest series I’ve watched so far. I’m a big HIMYM too and I would definitely rate it as good as HIMYM

7. Kelvin says

Recently found season 1 on Netflix. I have to say it is the funniest show I’ve seen in years. Still can’t see season 2 but gutted it was cancelled. Bring it back!!!!!!!!!

8. Kirsty says

I’m from uk an watched this on Netflix and its hilarious. Easily better than 2 and a half men. Gutted that its been cancelled

9. Jonathan says

This cancellation sucks, This is one of the better sitcoms ever made, why did it get cancelled ? Silly CBS..

I still want my season 3 even though it’s been 2 years.

• anita says

I agree with Jonathon, Gary Unmarried was GREAT it was my favorite along with The Marriage Ref that was also cancelled, and I would still LOVE for both of them to return !!! I think surely the reason these two hillarious shows didn’t get enough viewers was there must not have been enough advertisements about them, I think they should have been tried on different nights as well like they did other shows !!!
      I say bring ’em back and give them a better chance !!!