GCB: Cancel or Renew for Season Two?

Should GCB be cancelled or renewed?With Desperate Housewives on the way out and after the disappointing performance of Pan Am, ABC needs new shows for the Sunday night schedule. Have they found a success in GCB or will it also be cancelled?

GCB revolves around former high-school mean-girl Amanda Vaughn (Leslie Bibb). Now a widow with two children, she returns to her former Texas hometown to live with her mother (Annie Potts). Amanda comes face to face with the former schoolmates that she used to mock and tries to make amends and build a new life. Other castmembers include Jennifer Aspen, Marisol Nichols, Miriam Shor, David James Elliott, Mark Deklin, Brad Beyer, and Kristin Chenoweth.

The series debuted on March 4th to a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.56 million total viewers. It was in second place for the timeslot, behind NBC’s Celebrity Apprentice. Compared to the (series) finale of Pan Am however, ABC was up by 83% in the all-important demo.

While most shows experience a decline in week two, GCB’s demo actually rose to a 2.3 rating. The third week’s demo fell 13% but the show was in first place in the timeslot.

Should GCB be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers have fluctuated up and down over the course of the season and a couple weeks ago, it fell to a low 1.5 rating with 4.43 million. Sunday’s installment however (per the overnights) rebounded to a 1.9 demo rating, a rise of 26%.

This season has averaged a mediocre 1.9 in the demo with 5.92 million. That’s just 12% better than Pan Am. On our ABC Ratings Report Card, GCB gets a “C-” and is certainly “on the bubble.”

However, the alphabet network has a history of renewing one or two struggling freshman shows each year. Castle and Happy Endings have benefited from that strategy and the gambles have paid off.

Will GCB be renewed for a second season? It could go either way but, with ABC still being in need of new hour-long shows, it seems likely that GCB will end up on the schedule next year.

But, what do you think? Are you watching GCB each week? Do you realistically think that it will be back next fall or end up being cancelled?

Tammy May 17, 2012 at 11:54 am

I LOVE this show. I can’t believe networks will still fold to a bunch of religous, bible-thumping hyporcrites. They DON’T have to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING IT BACK

Pastor May 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm

What a great show. When I watch, I see some of use in each character. I hope that you don’t cancel this show. Where else can we laugh about ourselves. Rethink if you are thinking about canceling.

Cathy May 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm

This show is so funny and the characters are awesome. I was shocked when I heard that ABC was even considering cancellation. This is one of the best shows on their network in years.

lily miller May 16, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Love this show. We watch it every week. I can’t understand why this is even a question.

RGaye May 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

This show is great. Please renew it. I look forward to watching it every week.

Sandra May 16, 2012 at 6:15 am

Please don’t cancel this show I luv it. All the good shows are over and it kinds sucks. :(

Nadja May 15, 2012 at 10:33 am

GCB is the greatest show ever! I saw so many different directions for the show that my friends and i were betting on how Cricket’s life was about to change!!! BRING GCB BACK PLEASE!!!

Colyn Johnston May 15, 2012 at 8:18 am

Please dont cancel the show we need drams now that Desprate Housewifes are gone!!!!I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Richie May 15, 2012 at 12:11 am

GCB was a great show. ABC just lost one viewer. Big mistake…. BIG! I was an avid follower of Desperate Housewives and GCB was going to replace it as my sunday night show… Now I guess I will have to watch one of the other, better run networks.

Linda May 14, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Love the show. PALEEEZ keep it on the air. Makes me roll with laughter every Sunday night, and boy do we need something like that right now!!!!

Old_Warhorse May 13, 2012 at 4:11 am

For crying out loud, GCB is the funniest series on the tube! Why cancel it because some frothing at the mouth Talibangelicals don’t like it? If they don’t like it, they don’t have to watch it and can leave it for the 5.7 million of the rest of us who love the show!

Glenda gray May 12, 2012 at 9:10 pm

ABC once again bows to the pressure of GCB’S for real. Canceling yet another program because it “may” offend these nameless people is ridiculous. I am really getting close to saying good-by to ABC for good. I have been an avid ABC viewer for most of my life, however, whomever is making programming decisions at ABC these days might need to be “cancelled” themselves!

Angela May 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Please please renew. Great show. Lots of fun.

Carolyn May 12, 2012 at 12:34 am

Please DON”T CANCEL GCB!!!!! Desperate Housewives is going after all these years and this show has the same type of humor! I believe God has a sense of humor. You don’t have to uptight and never smile or not have fun, to be a Christian. I think this show is better than certain reality shows in which rich people sit and gossip and talk behind backs of their so called friends or looking for a mate for life out of a group of people by making out or sleeping with a different person every day, just to weed through them all, only to “maybe” choose one of them. There are so many that are WAY WORSE shows on air ,that go against what some people think how Christians should or shouldn’t be. At least people actually talk about God in a good way and quote scriptures. How many shows on air now can actually say that? Unfortunately, tv shows aren’t about good family values like they used to be,they are about how violent or vulgar they can be to beat out another,just to get better ratings. This is a fun show for adults and maybe older teens. The cast all have GREAT chemistry that makes the show work . Please keep this on for at least another season to give it a chance!

chris jenkins May 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I Hope and wish they renew GCB. It’s a great new show. Since the first episode, it became my favorite show fast. It’s a show that deserves to be on TV. I hear lots of people talking about it. It’s smart, well written, funny, and everyone is very good looking.