GCB: Cancelled; No Season Two for ABC Show

GCB season two cancelled on ABCDid Carlene finally take down Amanda? We’ll never know. ABC has cancelled GCB after one short season of 10 episodes. There won’t be a “second coming” or a second season for this show.

Based on the novel Good Christian Bitches, GCB follows a former high school mean girl (Leslie Bibb), now a single mom and widow, who returns home to Texas and tries to make amends with the women that she used to torment. The show’s ensemble cast also includes Lauran Irion, Colton Shires, Annie Potts, Kristin Chenoweth, David James Elliott, Jennifer Aspen, Brad Beyer, Miriam Shor, Mark Deklin, and Marisol Nichols.

This dramedy debuted to a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demograpic with 7.56 million viewers. That wasn’t a great showing but it was far better than what ABC had been getting with Pan Am earlier in the season.

Did Christian protests impact the decision to cancel GCB?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Most shows see their ratings decline in week two but GCB’s actually grew, a sign that there was some positive word of mouth helping the series.

Over the course of the show’s short season, the numbers fluctuated a bit but it ended up averaging a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.87 million viewers. On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of shows on the network, GCB had a “C-” grade.

It was firmly “on the bubble” between a cancellation and a renewal but ABC ultimately decided to cancel it. A slightly-better rated bubble show, Scandal was renewed. If that new Shonda Rhimes series had done a bit worse, GCB might have been renewed.

As it is, GCB has been cancelled. Some Christians and organizations objected to the show as they felt the original title was demeaning to Christians. Some called for boycotts but its difficult to know if that had any impact on the ratings or the network.

The last episode of GCB aired on May 6th. It wasn’t intended as a series finale so some ongoing storylines were left unresolved.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that GCB has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two? Do you think the show was demeaning to all Christians? Do you think the objections had an impact on ABC’s decision to cancel it?

Mindy July 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Two more disappointed souls! The show is fantastic! It requires intelligence and thought processes. It worked to deliver a message each week (like a sermon), but allowed us to laugh hysterically. We will miss GCB…

Amy July 13, 2012 at 6:39 am

Good!!!!! It was a stupid show.

Pepper mays July 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I love this show! I can’t believe it was cancelled! Please reconsider this abc!

WOW July 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Like everyone else here, I am disappointed SEVERELY. The show was so funny and yes they poke fun…it’s called COMEDY!

To the Christians who were up in arms, please lighten up just a bit. The only reason why you should be offended is if you see yourself in any of the characters. It is only a tounge and check representation of a certain group of Christians; ones that manipulate and twist their faith to meet their own means and justify it in the name of the one true God. Why is it funny to watch? Because seeing things “blow up ” in the faces of these characters shows that even God has a sense of humor and says “No” to prayer requests.

ABC, please, won’t you reconsider?!

AmeraDuke July 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

I love this show and shame on abc for canceling it!!!!

Tina July 12, 2012 at 8:32 am

GCB is a great show!! It should not be cancelled

Caudi July 11, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Why on God’s earth would you cancel such a fantastic show? I looked forward to my time with the GCB each week. The writing was excellent, the cast superior and ABC to me had a hit on their hands and now they’ve just lost it. Please rethink this decision and renew it for a second season…Funny stuff there! Loved all the scenarios and want to know what happens to each character as well. Bring it back please!

Pat July 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Why cancel GCB? Everytime you have a winner you cancel it . Can’t you renew it
what could possibly be better? Renew it or loose your 10:00 fans.

Jen July 11, 2012 at 10:53 am

I liked this show. Even had it on DVR. It was pretty real. NO ONE is perfect. It was funny. I enjoy some music and singing in my TV too!

Anonymous July 11, 2012 at 10:50 am

loved this show so sorry so see it not renewed

Roxanne July 11, 2012 at 9:39 am

I loved this show!! Why are you getting rid of it???

JC July 11, 2012 at 8:21 am

Loved this show. I am a Christian woman and I know I am not perfect by no means at all!! But Good Gosh Gertie…..you women and men that don’t like the show just pick up your remote and change the channel! The good Lord has blessed us all with options as in different channels on your tv! The show and the cast will be missed! Glad I still have the first season on my DVR to go back and laugh outloud to.

renee July 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm

LOVE IT me and my husband, the only show I actually watched every week at its time slot, rather than just dvr for later, but I do have all 10 episodes saved on dvr too. We didn’t watch the first week because we thought it was anti-christian from the commercials, but it was really pro-christian and spot on to the Bible, I was very pleased and loved all of the characters!

Amber July 10, 2012 at 3:43 am

Loved the show and want to see a second season. Many groups throughout the world have differing views on certain subjects. If people don’t like the show for their religious values and beliefs then don’t watch it. It spoils it for those who love the show and wish to see more.

Liz July 9, 2012 at 8:54 am

Loved the show made me laugh. I will not bring my faith into the mix since it is just a show. I am afraid horrible reality shows are going to take over the air waves and creative shows are going to one day be gone. I have never been one to post a message until now. I guess those of us who have sat on the side lines in the past need to write our views on matters even if it is just about a show.