GCB: Cancelled; No Season Two for ABC Show

GCB season two cancelled on ABCDid Carlene finally take down Amanda? We’ll never know. ABC has cancelled GCB after one short season of 10 episodes. There won’t be a “second coming” or a second season for this show.

Based on the novel Good Christian Bitches, GCB follows a former high school mean girl (Leslie Bibb), now a single mom and widow, who returns home to Texas and tries to make amends with the women that she used to torment. The show’s ensemble cast also includes Lauran Irion, Colton Shires, Annie Potts, Kristin Chenoweth, David James Elliott, Jennifer Aspen, Brad Beyer, Miriam Shor, Mark Deklin, and Marisol Nichols.

This dramedy debuted to a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demograpic with 7.56 million viewers. That wasn’t a great showing but it was far better than what ABC had been getting with Pan Am earlier in the season.

Did Christian protests impact the decision to cancel GCB?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Most shows see their ratings decline in week two but GCB’s actually grew, a sign that there was some positive word of mouth helping the series.

Over the course of the show’s short season, the numbers fluctuated a bit but it ended up averaging a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.87 million viewers. On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of shows on the network, GCB had a “C-” grade.

It was firmly “on the bubble” between a cancellation and a renewal but ABC ultimately decided to cancel it. A slightly-better rated bubble show, Scandal was renewed. If that new Shonda Rhimes series had done a bit worse, GCB might have been renewed.

As it is, GCB has been cancelled. Some Christians and organizations objected to the show as they felt the original title was demeaning to Christians. Some called for boycotts but its difficult to know if that had any impact on the ratings or the network.

The last episode of GCB aired on May 6th. It wasn’t intended as a series finale so some ongoing storylines were left unresolved.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that GCB has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two? Do you think the show was demeaning to all Christians? Do you think the objections had an impact on ABC’s decision to cancel it?

DIANA September 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm

This is the best thing to hit TV since Friends. I have been waiting for the new season. Incredible tallent..funny and refreshing..LOVED IT!

Bogumila September 25, 2012 at 3:20 pm

That’s so true Lisa. This was a show that I was able to watch with my mom without feeling embarrassed.

Bogumila September 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Please please please bring this show back. I loved it so much. I was going to buy the DVDs and everything. Please! Please! Please!!!

Karen September 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm

My cousin and I love this show. We were looking forward to the new season.

Heather September 15, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I want this show back!!! I so enjoyed it

Lisa September 11, 2012 at 6:33 am

Im disappointed they cancelled it was a hoot to watch my sister told me about watched then was hooked far better them some of those new programs abc is bringing out. It’s good to have something to laugh about.

Pam September 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I can’t belive they cancelled the show. I loved the show so much that because when I was working some nights when it was on I missed it. I went out and baught the Series DVD so I could catch up and I also read the book and loved that too. I was baptised christian and this so is way better than any of the reality shows they put on TV these days. They should bring it back. I’m a very disappointed fan.

Angela W. September 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Very disappointed that GCB is cancelled. It was a show that my husband actually watched with me and thought was hilarious! I told friends about it and they have been looking forward to watching and now I find out htere will not be another season!!! NOT happy!!!!

David September 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

My wife & I enjoyed the show & are disappointed it was droped.
GCB was a hoot.

Ali September 7, 2012 at 5:14 am

I am a Christian woman and was never offended by GCB. I thought it was great writing, and so entertaining. This show was my saving grace from the ending of Desperate Housewives. The fact that I actually had my husband watching GCB says a lot. I hope ABC changes their minds and bring it back. We need to know if Amanda ends up with the Pastor:)

Kathy September 4, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I enjoyed the show and looking forward to another season. What is the problem we need more cute funny shows on TV today. The ladies in this show were all great so much like the REAL world of women……

Jessie August 28, 2012 at 8:59 am

Am very disappointed i really loved this show one of my Favs . I have hope that maybe it will come back :D

lindley August 22, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I am so disappointed to find out that GCB was cancelled.. WHY i loved the show and was so eager to find out what happened next.. GCB was a great show the actors were fantastic. the show had comedy, drama and it kept you wanting more.. I can not believe that you cancelled this show.. ABC you made a huge mistake. I have been a loyal fan of many shows of ABC until the end of the series and i would have done the same with this show. Please bring GCB back

Jennifer August 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Compleatly agree with Diann. If we cant keep watching I’m about to go with the “Why bother to start watching” mentality.

Diann August 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I was very disappointed to hear of GCB’s cancellation. I loved it and told everyone I knew about it! I’m tired of my favorite shows disappearing….GCB, Desperate Housewives, Pushing Up Daisies, Haven, Harry’s Law, The Gates, the Closer…..a few just off the top of my head. It’s annoying to see more and more ‘reality shows’, etc. instead of entertaining weekly series.