GCB: Cancelled; No Season Two for ABC Show

GCB season two cancelled on ABCDid Carlene finally take down Amanda? We’ll never know. ABC has cancelled GCB after one short season of 10 episodes. There won’t be a “second coming” or a second season for this show.

Based on the novel Good Christian Bitches, GCB follows a former high school mean girl (Leslie Bibb), now a single mom and widow, who returns home to Texas and tries to make amends with the women that she used to torment. The show’s ensemble cast also includes Lauran Irion, Colton Shires, Annie Potts, Kristin Chenoweth, David James Elliott, Jennifer Aspen, Brad Beyer, Miriam Shor, Mark Deklin, and Marisol Nichols.

This dramedy debuted to a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demograpic with 7.56 million viewers. That wasn’t a great showing but it was far better than what ABC had been getting with Pan Am earlier in the season.

Did Christian protests impact the decision to cancel GCB?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Most shows see their ratings decline in week two but GCB’s actually grew, a sign that there was some positive word of mouth helping the series.

Over the course of the show’s short season, the numbers fluctuated a bit but it ended up averaging a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.87 million viewers. On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of shows on the network, GCB had a “C-” grade.

It was firmly “on the bubble” between a cancellation and a renewal but ABC ultimately decided to cancel it. A slightly-better rated bubble show, Scandal was renewed. If that new Shonda Rhimes series had done a bit worse, GCB might have been renewed.

As it is, GCB has been cancelled. Some Christians and organizations objected to the show as they felt the original title was demeaning to Christians. Some called for boycotts but its difficult to know if that had any impact on the ratings or the network.

The last episode of GCB aired on May 6th. It wasn’t intended as a series finale so some ongoing storylines were left unresolved.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that GCB has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two? Do you think the show was demeaning to all Christians? Do you think the objections had an impact on ABC’s decision to cancel it?

Anonymous December 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I loved this show! I grew up a baptist and it is right on – so funny!! Loved it! Really screwed up with the cancellation

Anonymous November 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

This was way too good to cancel… bring it back!!!!

Jacqui November 17, 2012 at 6:03 pm

This was the best show on tv. Now that 666 is being cancelled I say BRING BACK GCB.

Jolynda Loyd November 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

It’s so unfair! we wait all this time only to find this funny new show has been canceled. It seems thats what happens to all the truley entertaining shows. So it poked fun at christians, My dad was a minister and my guess is it cut a little close to home for a few people. BRING IT BACK!!! I loved it!

Steve Brown November 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

Oh please! Radical Christians are always looking for a fight. Have somewhat of a tiny bit of a sense of humor. Don’t be such tight asses. It was entertainment and that’s it, not a political statement or commentary. I really wish ABC would bring it back. I’ve been looking forward to season two since May.

Sarah November 4, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I want gcb back soo bad!!! There are no more good shows in Sunday, bring it back!!!

Tracie October 23, 2012 at 4:57 pm

BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gretchen October 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Im definitely am going to miss the show and am disappointed it has been canceled. As a Christian myself, I understand the show was fiction and am not at all offended nor should anyone else be. I thought the show was funny!

MICHELLE October 21, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I loved this show! BRING IT BACK!

Jessica October 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I loved that shoe!!!! I had no idea it was being cancelled. That
Is so disappointing :(

Wendy Hodges October 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I loved GCB! Sorry to see it was canceled. What was so great about it was the controversy. That’s what made it entertaining. I know many so called Christians who think very highly of themselves but act like the characters on the show. Don’t care for Scandal so won’t be watching it. Thanks ABC!

Kim October 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I loved that show. It was alot better tha 666park avenue so I wonder what the christian think about this show.

Vicki October 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I am so disappointed to here that GCB will not be renewed. It was one of the most entertaining and humorous shows I ‘be seen in a long time. My husband enjoyed it too. Wish it could be reconsidered!

VICTOR PRUETT October 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

I am disappointed that GCB has been cancelled. All the shows that I really liked, for instance Eastwick have been cancelled before the even have a chance to catch on. Sometimes these shows start out slow but end up being big hits. GCB I beleive would have been just that. As far as degrading christians it was just comedy and if you truly are christian you can call it what it was entertainment and nothing more. Some groups make big deals out of things just so they can hear themselves talk.

Michele September 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Get rid of some of the so called reality shows and leave “dramady’s” alone…

Mrs. G.W. November 4, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Please Bring back GCB ! It was a great adult show. It was entertaining and nothing more. It was a night time soap opera for adults. For those who where offended, get a life – it’s just TV. I’m a Christian and was not offended by the show. After all it was just that a SHOW ! My husband and I looked forward to show every week. What’s wrong with you ABC and your production staff ? Bring it back !