GCB: Cancelled; No Season Two for ABC Show

GCB season two cancelled on ABCDid Carlene finally take down Amanda? We’ll never know. ABC has cancelled GCB after one short season of 10 episodes. There won’t be a “second coming” or a second season for this show.

Based on the novel Good Christian Bitches, GCB follows a former high school mean girl (Leslie Bibb), now a single mom and widow, who returns home to Texas and tries to make amends with the women that she used to torment. The show’s ensemble cast also includes Lauran Irion, Colton Shires, Annie Potts, Kristin Chenoweth, David James Elliott, Jennifer Aspen, Brad Beyer, Miriam Shor, Mark Deklin, and Marisol Nichols.

This dramedy debuted to a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demograpic with 7.56 million viewers. That wasn’t a great showing but it was far better than what ABC had been getting with Pan Am earlier in the season.

Did Christian protests impact the decision to cancel GCB?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Most shows see their ratings decline in week two but GCB’s actually grew, a sign that there was some positive word of mouth helping the series.

Over the course of the show’s short season, the numbers fluctuated a bit but it ended up averaging a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.87 million viewers. On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of shows on the network, GCB had a “C-” grade.

It was firmly “on the bubble” between a cancellation and a renewal but ABC ultimately decided to cancel it. A slightly-better rated bubble show, Scandal was renewed. If that new Shonda Rhimes series had done a bit worse, GCB might have been renewed.

As it is, GCB has been cancelled. Some Christians and organizations objected to the show as they felt the original title was demeaning to Christians. Some called for boycotts but its difficult to know if that had any impact on the ratings or the network.

The last episode of GCB aired on May 6th. It wasn’t intended as a series finale so some ongoing storylines were left unresolved.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that GCB has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two? Do you think the show was demeaning to all Christians? Do you think the objections had an impact on ABC’s decision to cancel it?

tommy January 19, 2014 at 1:50 pm

That it was great made me laugh.

Diane Vasovski September 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm

This was such a smart show, not to mention , hilarious.
Being a Dallas girl, I guess the truth hurts.
There were world wide lessons to be learned from this show.
I’ll really miss it.

Mel August 3, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Well I am disappointed to find this out! I loved this show! It made me laugh.

Anonymous July 12, 2013 at 4:24 pm

it’s a shame… it was actually one of the greatest shows I have seen that kept me interested into keep watching….

Tara June 6, 2013 at 7:55 am

I know this is extremely late, but do to my lack of paying attention to these things, I am just finding out that GCB was canceled!! What in the world are they thinking over there? I was looking forward to what was next. I loved how the girls came together at the BBQ. It was awesome! I looke forward to cathing up every week. Please bring it back, I beg of you!

Virginia May 14, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I was sad to hear that the show was cancelled, I so hate it when I get so caught up with an awesome show, and bang the show is cut off.

Pat February 25, 2013 at 4:07 pm

so sorry this show was cancelled! It was so much fun. This was so meant to be fun! Get rid of your reality shows (which by the way, are NOT real) and put on some fun entertaining primetime TV shows Please!

Terry February 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Sorry the series was cancelled. I liked it as I am sure it
depicted the sassy lives of women in Texas.

Kim Usher February 12, 2013 at 10:17 am

I hope another network will pick it up! I love this show!! soo very funny!

Daniel February 3, 2013 at 3:21 am

I think it was a joke to cancel the second season all because of people feeling offended. We are goin to end up with shows that people will not end up watching because show ratings are not about everyone agreeing about everything there has to be differences in tv shows and if people don’t want to see them, they know where the remote is!! I really wish there was a second season regardless of what people thought because I thought it was great

Anonymous January 29, 2013 at 9:50 am

Is there anyway another network could pick up GCB? I loved this show! Sad to see it go :(

LeAnn January 16, 2013 at 1:52 am

I can’t believe it has been not been renewed it was hands down the best new series on T.V. it is so southern women..lol please please reconsider bringing it back was so worth my Sunday nights

Shawna January 14, 2013 at 7:33 pm

SOOOO disappointed GCB is not renewed! We just were able to view it on Hulu for the first time and love, love the show! Never have I written about a show or liked a show as I do GCB! Very sad!

pete December 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I liked the show. I’m totaly surprised to hear that it was cancelled. ABC needs to bring it back!

Anonymous December 8, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I loved this show!! I am so disappointed to hear it was cancelled! Bring it back!