General Hospital: To Be Replaced By a Reality Show Version?

general hospitalAccording to the NY Post, ABC is considering a reality show version of General Hospital. The show would revolve around the personal and professional lives of doctors and nurses who work at a Los Angeles hospital (rather than fictional Port Charles, New York).

The new show is apparently in the very early stages of development and filming has quietly begun at UCLA Medical Center. ABC is said to be considering this new “General Hospital” show for the daytime schedule.

The crazy thing is that 50-year-old General Hospital could end up being replaced by a reality show version of itself. Though the soap opera has been performing well this season — reportedly rising 18% in total viewers year-to-year (2.37 to 2.81 million) — the network is still on the look out for ways to expand their audience and cut costs.

What do you think? Is ABC considering replacing General Hospital with a reality show version? Would you check it out?

Canceled and renewed TV show

217 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Linda says

For me GH lost when Steve Burton left. Yes, they brought back many old favs like Lucy Cole and I do like Maxie and Spinelli but without Jason they can bring back anyone they want and it doesn’t fill the void. So many things don’t make sense. AJ is back (and I never even liked him), Sonny didn’t even try to find out how Jason died or who was responsible, and Spinelli hasn’t even tried to trace where Jason may have gone. There were no memories of Jason replayed by any of one especially Monica and after 20 some years, there should have been. Right now I’m so frustrated with how they changed and basically dismembered the characters that I’ve lost interest. Call me when and if Jason, played by Steve Burton, returns. GH producers really need to pay attention to the viewers if they don’t want to be replaced themselves. I think old shows should be made available on DVD – that I would watch.

2. Marlaina Anderson says

I have been watching GH for over 40 years and this season has been the best! Replaced with a Reality Show – NO WAY’!!!!!

3. grace says

I can not believe it—-another reality show most of them it is garbage
    general Hospital is such a good show. please don,t cancel it

4. TERRI VANIER says

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED..I CAN’T BELIEVE IT…YOU ARE GOING TO LOOSE MANY VIEWERS…PLEASE DON’T CANCELL GENERAL HOSPITAL….

5. Jane says

If you take off the only remaining show I would watch on ABC, not to mention leaving me with only one our of three shows I could count on to look forward to every day all year round, I guess I would have not reason for the channel to exist on my TV.

• april says

Exactly Jane. ABC doesn’t have a clue – but they have The Chew and obviously The Taste without any. Amazing how network execs are as aware as a block of wood. Wait, the wood does absorb impressions and vibrations from its surroundings!

6. Michelle says

I already watch General Hospital and I am enjoying how the writers are folding other actors from the two other shows cancelled. ABC soap. I would think if want me to watch than don’t change it. Soaps are a way NOT to have some reality for the day watch while housework, laundry etc. (a ‘SOAP!)
    And don’t change ‘Young and the Restless.’ You could change times in ‘Days of our lives, so I don’t have to go back and forth with General Hospital. I have over 30 years invested. And if I was a sponsor I would want a 40 yr old mom w/3boys to advertise to. Kids are at school the house is quiet and there is no one taking my attention away while they try and sell me deoderant. And you are already giving us ‘The View” and “The Chew”. Though I do like the chew.

7. Jolie says

Another reality show? Not cool! I’ve been a huge fan of GH since my grandmother was around. And the storylines is alot better this year. I will definitely stop watching abc daytime shows if that’s going to happen.

8. Lulu says

I will definitely stop watching ABC all together if they do that. They took away my other two soaps which I have loved when I was a teenager and now they want to take away the biggest one of the three? Are you serious? General Hospital is better than ever and now I’m loosing it as well?????? That sucks!!!!!

9. P Frazier says

I don’t watch reality shows. I’ll just move to another channel. If I want reality during, I’ll watch cable news.

10. says

I’m a Genral hospital fan for over 30 year’s i grew up watching All my children, One life to live, General hospital with my mother and grandmother may my grandmother R.I.P… I’m so sick and tired of all of the reality shows you want to put inplace of our shows i have an idea ABC you have ALOT of sport stations how about replacing one of the shows or all of the reality shows on that one sport station and put all my children back on at 1pm One life to live at 2pm and General Hospital at 3pm stop taking away from us women viewers and let us enjoy OUR shows, It seems like you dont care about your viewers but you care about your male viewers.. You will lose me as a viewer and all of my family and friends as viewers if you cancel Gh!!

• Anonymous says

I SO TOTALLY AGREE WITH ROSEANN….I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED AT THE CANCELLATION OF ALL MY CHILDREN AND NOW THIS IS THE ONLY SHOW I HAVE LEFT. I CANT STAND THE SHOW “THE CHEW” AND HAVE STARTED WATCHING ANOTHER CHANNEL AT THAT TIME JUST SO I CAN SEE ANOTHER
      SOAP OPERA. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ME AS A VIEWER IF YOU CANCEL GH!!!!!

11. JD Browning says

General Hospital new version cannot replace the lovely and real life stories that we all have enjoyed for so many years. I hope that ABC will reconsider. Robin in about to be found, Lullu is about to have a baby and this needs to continue as it stands, please!!!

IF anyone reads this, please, take all of our comments to heart.

A very loyal fan,

JD Browning
    St. Armands Key, Florida and Lake Keowee, S.C.