General Hospital: To Be Replaced By a Reality Show Version?

general hospitalAccording to the NY Post, ABC is considering a reality show version of General Hospital. The show would revolve around the personal and professional lives of doctors and nurses who work at a Los Angeles hospital (rather than fictional Port Charles, New York).

The new show is apparently in the very early stages of development and filming has quietly begun at UCLA Medical Center. ABC is said to be considering this new “General Hospital” show for the daytime schedule.

The crazy thing is that 50-year-old General Hospital could end up being replaced by a reality show version of itself. Though the soap opera has been performing well this season — reportedly rising 18% in total viewers year-to-year (2.37 to 2.81 million) — the network is still on the look out for ways to expand their audience and cut costs.

What do you think? Is ABC considering replacing General Hospital with a reality show version? Would you check it out?

Canceled and renewed TV show

217 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. elizabeth says

This is the last thing they should do. For heavensakes leave the Soap alone it’s fine the way it is. If ABC does this again to us they might as well shut the down their network won’t be watching it all. Kept my promise to not watching the Chew or Katie will totally blank the network forever.Leave the GH the way it is, which is fabulous, exciting &etc.

2. Elise says

I have been watching General Hospital for over 35 years. I have never watched any other soap. When I met my husband 25 years ago he admitted that he watched one soap opera, General Hospital. ABC, please do not cancel this show. We do not want another stupid, boring reality show. For me GH is pure escapism and entertainment. ABC you need to reconsider. Cancelling GH is a slap in the face to all it’s loyal viewers.

3. Anonymous says

ABC, Please don’t cancel, General Hospital! I’ve been a faithful watcher, for over 37 years. It’s one thing that I have to look forward to every day. Reality shows, are not things I watch. If Your going to have a show such as that, maybe You can put in on during the night time!

4. Gail says

most General Hosptal watchers have been watching for years and to cancel it would be like a death, and to watch all new people (reality -different every day) and not see the people they have been watching for many years would be cruel and only the people with control of maneys idea of what woman should watch, I for one will never watch a reality show at 3 in the afternoon, I even would take double the amount of Commercials to help with the costs…Please don’t do this.

5. Sandy says

No I have been watching GH since its inception, my other two faves were taken away, Please Please Please do not replace GH!

6. Veronica Rincon says

I really don’t see why they would cancel General Hospital…I have been a faithful viewer for 20 years and I love the soap very much..please don’t cancel it to replace it with a reality show..

7. Barb says

I HATE reality shows. why are you messing with a good thing. I have watched General Hospital for 40 years.I have no interest in reality or self improvement shows. Please listen to the viewers Don’t Cancel General Hospital.

8. Donna says

ABC executives, I am sick of all of your reality
    shows which everyone knows that they are
    staged for “drama”. Too much garbage on the
    reality shows. If General Hospital is cancelled, you
    will lose more viewers on ABC.

9. Rhonda says

I am a fan of Gh for 34 years! I would listen to radio on my way home from school, when I was a child. I would rush home to see it. Arrange my work schedules and everything. Then dvr came along. We recently dropped cable to save because of the struggling economy. My son off to college etc. Now it is a struggle just to get home by 2pm because of the time slot change. I watch the show now by computer mostly. I can only tell you I will not go through the hassle for some new reality show. You will lose this viewer and loyal fan after 34years!

10. Anonymous says

Sounds pretty pathetic to me!!! Why mess with a great show, I would have no interest and it would be really sad to see a show I have watched for 30 years end. Who comes up with these brilliant ideas.

11. Eileen Paulson says

Gee, just what we need another reality show. Come on folks dont we have enough people on tv playing up to the cameras for attention? General Hospital is the last of ABCs soaps and I will miss it. I get off work and look forward to getting home at night to watch the recording and to relax before bed. Thanks alot ABC I for one am going to turn off the tv and start reading books that have stories not reality.

12. Tracy says

The networks have taken all of the other soaps off the air. If GH is cancelled, I nor, my family will watch anything on ABC again. Reality shows suck. GH is my way of putting my life on hold for an hour. This is my ME time.
    Loyal GH fan for life.

13. Anna says

ABC executives, ABC network, Pres. Of ABC Daytime can all go to hell. After all that’s what you did to ABC daytime television…you shot it to hell. Get a clue, listen to the viewers because before you know it, there will be NO daytime viewership nor nightime viewership!