General Hospital: To Be Replaced By a Reality Show Version?

general hospitalAccording to the NY Post, ABC is considering a reality show version of General Hospital. The show would revolve around the personal and professional lives of doctors and nurses who work at a Los Angeles hospital (rather than fictional Port Charles, New York).

The new show is apparently in the very early stages of development and filming has quietly begun at UCLA Medical Center. ABC is said to be considering this new “General Hospital” show for the daytime schedule.

The crazy thing is that 50-year-old General Hospital could end up being replaced by a reality show version of itself. Though the soap opera has been performing well this season — reportedly rising 18% in total viewers year-to-year (2.37 to 2.81 million) — the network is still on the look out for ways to expand their audience and cut costs.

What do you think? Is ABC considering replacing General Hospital with a reality show version? Would you check it out?

Canceled and renewed TV show

217 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

So far, all the new shows ABC/D has created to “attract younger viewers” have lost them viewers in total and advertising revenues. Based on past performance, I would speculate that futher alienating their older daytime viewers would result in the same; a loss of viewers and ad revenues in total. Bob Iger, while you may think you are doing well, Anne Sweeney at ABC is running that network into the ground. By not investing in the daytime lead-in shows for the Primetime block, ABC is losing the viewers they need to sustain the evening programming. Quit listening to the statistics experts. Stats can be skewed to fit any pattern you want. Listen to the fans, and bring back scripted drama.

2. Gina says

Absolutely not!!! ABC has already taken OLTL and AMC from us. If they replace GH with a reality GH I will not be watching. Ah, and the BoyCott continues!

3. cathy trinque says

I will definitely not watch General Hospital as a reality show! I only watch ABC when GH is on to see the OLTL characters. I do not watch anything else on ABC day or night. Anne Sweeney needs to go!!!! Why can’t the execs concentrate on bringing back
    AMC and OLTL as 1 soap????

4. Linda says

I have never watched The Chew or Katie and I will never watch this new reality show ABC is trying to shove down our throats
    Wake up ABC soap fans are loyal we will boycott ABC

5. T says

No, I would not be interested or watch. The network has enough reality shows, not to add another. I’ve been watching GH since 1979. I hope they read all of these comments and realize they would be making a big mistake. They would loose so many viewers.

6. Susan says

I have already stop watching ABC except for the View and GH but if they cancel my soap I’m done with that network forever.

7. Richard Othen says

This is the last straw for me I’d General Hospital fers cancelled I’m done with ABC all to gather day time and nite. I want all my children and one life to live back. I’m tired of reality tv and boring talk shows like the chew and Curic.

8. Deborah D says

I will NOT watch a new reality show or anything else on ABC or any Disney owned channels. I have boycotted all their programs since AMC and OLTL were cancelled. The only show I currently watch is GH. I will continue to boycott until OLTL returns.

9. Diane Visage says

Hell no im not watching,,, the only thing i watch on abc still is GH as a soap,,,, no reality,, there are already many of those,,, get the hint abc disney

10. Kathy Maher says

I just dont get it. It they want to up their numbers why dnt they figure out how to count.

Count those devoted viewers of all ages.
    Theres no way to get a proper head count on viewers
    Kelly made the final 3 on Dancing… didnt that tell them something.

Maybe they need to put something on ABC.com where we can be heard.

11. Michael T. says

The age of soaps maybe dying, but i do not believe that it should be used to usher in the age of daytime reality tv. it means that the forces behind scripted telvision need to become more creative.

12. carl chater says

Come on ABC, you shelved two great soaps, please don’t do it again. General Hospital is the greatest. One of the other networks tried a reality hospital show and it didn’t last very long.