General Hospital: To Be Replaced By a Reality Show Version?

general hospitalAccording to the NY Post, ABC is considering a reality show version of General Hospital. The show would revolve around the personal and professional lives of doctors and nurses who work at a Los Angeles hospital (rather than fictional Port Charles, New York).

The new show is apparently in the very early stages of development and filming has quietly begun at UCLA Medical Center. ABC is said to be considering this new “General Hospital” show for the daytime schedule.

The crazy thing is that 50-year-old General Hospital could end up being replaced by a reality show version of itself. Though the soap opera has been performing well this season — reportedly rising 18% in total viewers year-to-year (2.37 to 2.81 million) — the network is still on the look out for ways to expand their audience and cut costs.

What do you think? Is ABC considering replacing General Hospital with a reality show version? Would you check it out?

Lisa December 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

WOW ABC just doesn’t get it!! No matter how much we say we WANT OUR SOAPS and NO MORE reality TV they just keep putting on different type of reality shows thinking they can talk us into watching them? If this happens ABC will be off in my house all together!! As is it’s only on for GH..

Lexi December 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Well this would be a stupid move.

For one, **yawn* seriously to consider such a thing is boring. Reality TV is so rigged and scripted that you may as well just tape normal tv. I HATE reality TV and I wont even CONSIDER watching it.

PLEASE PLEASE ENOUGH WITH THE GOSH DANG REALITY AND TALK SHOWS!!!!

Tammany December 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I will not watch it. This is stupid and I live In Los Angeles County and as far as I am concerned it’s been done already. They missed the boat on the reality Doctors show. We watch GH because it’s fictional and can be wonky as a result of it. GH is the only thing I watch on ABC now and there is nothing else I watch due there lack of recognizing the fan base. ABC your arrogance will be your failure.

Shauntel Vaughn December 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

ABC, hasn’t gotten the memo from the viewers yet that no one cares about their replacement shows? While they are trying to cut cost no one will be viewing anything aired on that channel.

Janet Aiken December 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Has ABC learned nothing this year? Knock it off with the reality shows! Leave General Hospital as is, and bring back One Life To Live while you are at it. Good Grief ABC. Use your brains.

cynthia December 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm

it a sad world we live in when reality is what we want are children to grow up in. tv for me as always be a time to reflect with family on a positive. reality show are no good. they degrade people and peoples mind. I personal think there should be a reality channel and that is where any all people can waste that waste of a time show. I am still hurt that amc and one life to live is off and hoping someone with some brains would bring them back. If GH is off. forget about cuting ABC off I will be cutting my TV Off. if I watch show I will have to make sure that ABc don’t own that channel.

Anonymous December 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I would never watch any show that replaced general hospital !

Karyn Ann Bosso December 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

This is just plain WRONG. I would not watch any show that replaces the last of the ABC Soaps, GENERAL HOSPITAL. I am not a fan of reality shows, in general. Why are you trying to kill the daytime drama genre?

Stephanie Mason December 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I will officially NOT be watching ABC.. They aren’t allowed now so they wont be then either.. no more reality shows!

Dalene Becerra December 4, 2012 at 12:39 am

I will not watch anything ABC if General Hospital is cancelled. They already took away AMC and OLTL, then Jason is gone on GH, and then forthem to cancel GH all together? Wow! Thats so sad to hear since I grew up watching AMC, OLTL, and GH with my grandma who is no longer with us, that show being gone will take away a big memory I share with her watching that show. Very sad!

Laurel Anderson December 3, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Oh, good, JUST what tv needs! another reality show, yuck!! The only good thing I can possibly think of is that this wil now free me up to never have to watch ABC again! General Hospital is better than most of the shows on prime time television; it deserves to continue, and we fans deserve for it to continue.

Michelle December 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Nope won’t watch, still boycotting ABC over OLTL, except GH. If ABC/Disney haven’t learned by now the network deserves to be cancelled.

Sherry Roff December 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I would never watch any show that would replace General Hospital.

Bonnie December 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I agree 100% with Sherry. This really gets me angry that talk is starting again about cancelling GH…why can’t they leave our program alone! I read somewhere that ratings have improved 18%, what do they want? We don’t need another reality program and we don’t need another medical program already having ER, Trauma in the ER, and others. It’s just dumb to replace a program has been viewed for 50 tearsm ratings are increasing.

lu anne mccurrey December 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I cannot believe ABC has not learned anything. I do not know what it will take for them to wake up and realize we do not their reality, cooking or talk shows. How can they believe a reality hospital show will replace general hospital.

Jan McGrann December 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I will continue my yearlong Boycott of ABC, only watching GH. Unfortunately, just as I feel confident GH will be saved I learn that they are lying sneaky morons that I thought they were. I only watch GH and if they replace it with a reality show about a hospital I will turn off ABC and block it forever.Will reality shows NEVER die? Our children watch them and all want to grow up to be narcisscists. You have created an entire viewing audience of absolute morons; I have run out of comments that are printable. Of course you could use the words I’m thinking on one of your sick, creepy reality shows. I pray for the day ABC slithers away like the slimy creepy company that they are. You are misjudging us, your audience again but we haven’t gone away.CAN U HEAR US AGAIN ABC/DISNEY??????