General Hospital: To Be Replaced By a Reality Show Version?

general hospitalAccording to the NY Post, ABC is considering a reality show version of General Hospital. The show would revolve around the personal and professional lives of doctors and nurses who work at a Los Angeles hospital (rather than fictional Port Charles, New York).

The new show is apparently in the very early stages of development and filming has quietly begun at UCLA Medical Center. ABC is said to be considering this new “General Hospital” show for the daytime schedule.

The crazy thing is that 50-year-old General Hospital could end up being replaced by a reality show version of itself. Though the soap opera has been performing well this season — reportedly rising 18% in total viewers year-to-year (2.37 to 2.81 million) — the network is still on the look out for ways to expand their audience and cut costs.

What do you think? Is ABC considering replacing General Hospital with a reality show version? Would you check it out?

Cassie Hicks December 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Those representatives of ABC are going bonkers if they think I’m going to check this so-called new reality series for their daytime lineup. If soap fans want soaps on the network, then so do I.

Dee Dee December 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I hope ABC does not replace GH with a reality show. That Stinks!!!!! I have been watching GH for many many years. I used to watch it with my Mom. It is the best soap opera left. Young and Restless ain’t bad but I am a die hard fan of GH. They pay all that money for Katie to have a show and take over the 3:00 hour, they need to make changes to her show not GH. Take her off the air. Please don’t take GH off the air.

Jennifer December 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Reality shows are a complete waste of time. Most of what is on TV is BS. I’ve been watching ABC soaps for a long time and what the writers have done with GH is incredible! The excitement and guessing have all come back. It’s enjoyable again! I look forward to watching it again. It’s the only show I record because I just can’t miss an episode. I was heartbroken when they took OLTL off the air, I so glad to hear that the writers went to GH, boy what an improvement in GH. I especially like to see some of the actors from OLTL on GH. What do I like most about soaps?….. The escape from reality. I don’t need to watch someone else’s reality or another show showing you how to cook! B o r I n g!

Olivia December 6, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I will not watch the reality show. Reality shows stink. If they take that off there will be nothing to watch and all those people will be out of a job. That’s what I have to say.

S.Smith December 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

GTFOH! Disney you have two strikes against you killing AMC & OLTL. Three strikes & you’re OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phonda December 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

omg if they replace my favorite soap opera general hospital i will never watch that channel again.please keep general hospital.i love everyone on that show.please keep that show.or you will have one pissed off woman here

Karen Severino December 5, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Knowing ABC and how utterly stupid they are, this does not surprise me! They have been hell bent on getting rid of all their soaps to save money while they pay Katie Couric and ungodly sum for a show that is tanking and was tanking before she even started. While Anne Sweeney seems to be the Belle Of Television Disney, she actually has no brains at all and continues to blow up the ABC Daytime Schedule with one mistake after another. Somehow, at some previous point, someone went to the ABC hierarchy and stole their brains and put them in boxcar headed for points unknown. Perhaps, one wonderful day they will return, but sadly by that time no one will give a rat’s behind and no one will be watching ABC!

Broadwayfan December 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I just can’t believe that ABC would do something so stupid as take GENERAL HOSPITAL off the air. They already made two mistakes with ALL MY CHILDREN and ONE LIFE TO LIVE. It’ so sad when you think of how few daytime dramas are left for viewers. And there are a lot of us who enjoy the shows.
GH’s 50th Anniversary is coming up next year. I was so happy, because I was sure it was safe now. Guess you can’t be sure of anything.
Taking GH off the air would be an awful mistake. ABC doesn’t need to lose any more fans, it’s lost enough.

terry katz December 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I thinks its a horrible idea!! We’ve already lost OLTL and AMC. There are too many BS reality shows on TV as it is. Soaps were create for people to get away from the real world and their own problems. GH is the last great soap. Please don’t disappoint millions by replacing it with something else. We love the characters!! I’ve watch ABC soaps since I was a teen and I’m 54 now. Todd and Blair, the Quartermaines, Sonny, and all the others?? We love them. There’s no way to wrap up all the story lines. Already missing Luke. Remember the Luke and Laura stories befoere they were married?? I do. KEEP GENERAL HOSPITAL. BRING BACK ONE LIFE TO LIVE. I WILL SSTOP WATCHING ABC ALTOGETHER IF OUR GENERAL HOSOITAL SERIAL IS CANCELLED. PERIOD.

ann bonari December 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm

It is such bullshit again quoting that they are doing this for the cost. They hired Katie couric, that was far from cost effective. So, less thousands of viewers boycotting abc lets let them eat up the cost of the loss of their loyal viewers…..I”M GONE!

Charlenea Jenkins December 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

How stupid can you people be. Really thinking that another reality show could ever compare to GENERAL HOSPITAL, I say not. I for one would never watch ABC again if you cancelled GENERAL HOSPITAL, and I’m not alone. Disney needs to but ALL MY CHILDREN AND ONE LIFE TO LIVE back on. What a monumental mistake that would be replacing GENERAL HOSPITAL… PLEASE RECONSIDER, YOU WOULD LOSE TO MANY VIEWERS.

amy December 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

stop abc you guys took enough soaps general hospital stays go take a bad soap like yr or bb

Marilyn December 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

No it’s not a good idea at all keep g/h and just bring back all my children and one life to live

Sharon December 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

If ABC thinks we’ll buy into watching any reality show, then they are mistaken, if they want their ratings back up, then they need to bring back our soap operas…hey ABC/Disney we want our dramas, not reality…GH is doing well because it’s the last remaining soap, take it away &b replace and you lose a big chunk of your audience!

Susan Self December 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

He** to the NO!!! Would NEVER watch anything on ABC again, period. End of discussion. I’ve already lost 2 shows that I watched since I can remember and now this?