General Hospital: ABC Changing Soap Opera’s Timeslot

ABC soap opera General HospitalThe folks in Port Charles are on the move. Starting Monday, September 10th, General Hospital is being moved up an hour, to the 2pm timeslot.

In most markets, Katie Couric’s new syndicated daytime talk show will take over the 3pm timeslot.

General Hospital, which will mark its 50th year on air in 2013, is the longest-running soap opera currently in production. The show was renewed for the 2012-13 season back in April.

QUICK TAKE
CHECK-IN TO ABC’S “GENERAL HOSPITAL” ONE HOUR EARLIER BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 10, 2012

There’s never been a better time to “check-in” to ABC’s “General Hospital” and beginning MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 10 the popular daytime drama moves to its new time period of 2:00 p.m. ET /1:00 p.m. PT/CT, on the ABC Television Network. Fans can now catch all the intrigue and excitement of Port Charles one hour earlier.

“General Hospital,” the most honored show of the 2012 Daytime Entertainment Emmy Awards, celebrates its golden anniversary on April 1, 2013. Approaching 50 historic years on ABC, “General Hospital” is the longest running American soap opera currently in production and the third longest-running drama in American television history.

“General Hospital” was created by Frank and Doris Hursley. Frank Valentini is the executive producer. Ron Carlivati is the head writer.

Full episodes of “General Hospital” are available on ABC.com immediately following the network broadcast. Follow us at: www.facebook.com/GeneralHospital, Twitter @generalhospital (#generahospital).

What do you think? Will you be watching General Hospital in its new timeslot? Will the new time impact your viewing?

Canceled and renewed TV show

24 Comments · Read them below or add one

• Arleen says

I don’t mind watching General Hospital at 2 But I agree bring my other 2 soaps back! Get rid of that stupid Chew! Now that the writers know what us watchers want I am sure they can come up with some good topics!
      Why not try them in the evening time slots? Instead of the stupid reality shows!
      I am sure a lot of people would agree.

1. betty says

i think it is mad that abc has to cancelled
    all the good soapa why is it only channel
    2 that gets cancelled why not the young &the restless we do’t want channel 2 soaps to go away we want our s back.one life to live-all my childen we all miss them a lot
    please live them on &live them a long.bc.

2. Peggy OGuin says

WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER TALK SHOW, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. IF ABC IS TRYING TO STOP PEOPLE FROM WATCHING LOCAL TV, ITS WORKING. THANK GOD FOR CABLE. WHEN GENERAL HOSPITAL GETS CANCELLED, I WILL NOT BE WATCHING ANY LOCAL CHANNELS. I KNOW THAT’S WHAT IS COMING. AS FOR KATIE COURIC, JUST ANOTHER TALK SHOW, SAME OLD, SAME OLD. SHE WON’T LAST FOR LONG. I’M ASHAMED OF THE PRODUCERS AND WHO EVER IS IN CHARGE OF CHANNEL 7 VIEWING. THEY ARE DOING A REAL FUCKED UP JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Donna says

I am very disapponed. I will still be working. General Hospital was the one show I looked foward to watching when I got home from work.
    And I agree with most of the other replys. you have enough talk shows and reality shows if you can”t find anything else to come up with. Show more old sitcom at those time slots.
    Very very disapponed.

4. says

I am so disgusted that you are moving General Hospital to 2:00 p.m. Who wants to watch another talk show,especially Katie Couric. I shall cut the TV off immediately after General Hospital. ABC needs to get their act together. If they take General Hospital off the air I will never watch ABC again.

• Anonymous says

TOO BAD GENERAL HOSPITAL HAS TO SUFFER. MANY PEOPLE CANT WATCH AT THE TIME CHANGE WHICH IS 1 P.M. FOR ME BUT THERE ARE 18 OF US NOW THAT WONT BE WATCHING IF THEY DONT TAKE HEATHER OFF. IF I ALSO WAITING TO FIND OUT IS ROBIN COMING BACK ITS BEEN SO LONG

5. Coey says

All my children, One life to live and General Hospital have been my 3 favorite soap’s since I have been a little girl. Thank God General Hospital has not been cancelled ! If it does I will never watch ABC again if they cancel this soap… Another talk show, REALLY ?? and Katie Curic to boot, ewwwww…… Not a fan, not a fan of the Chew either. We need our soap’s back and less of these talk shows. Sick and tired of people on tv trying to tell us how to live our lives :((((… Bring back our saops.. ABC you are really turner into a LOSER !

6. Christine says

No one will watch Katie Couric. ABC has made horrible mistakes over last several years. They are losing there most loyal fans. Only good decision was not to cancel GH

7. Kate says

WILL watch GH forever. Katie Couric sucks, I cannot believe she’s been on TV for so long?? I DVR GH every day, and still miss One Life to Live. I’m glad The Revolution sank, and I hope The Chew goes the same way. With FaceBook, and other social media, networks need to READJUST their numbers, and account for people recording and watching later on.

8. Pawma says

It doesn’t matter what time slot GH has. I have been watching GH since it began in 1963 at 3:00. My friend and I got out of school at 2;55 and got home just in time to watch. So the answer is, yest anytime it’s on and ABC, another talk show?? Really!!

9. Genise says

I only watch General Hospital occasionally, the powers that be have managed to take off ever SOAP that I watched but have blended this one. So I am trying to get use to watching it, miss it most days… I really no longer ever bother to turn on the TV in the day time… I just do not care for gossip to chat TV and certainly do not care for rigged games… I only care for night time shows such as the CSI’s and Law shows, but I have found if a show is good it will go away and if it is no good at all it will be cancelled in no time such as Harry’s Law & The Firm, but go figure, I learned a long time ago good shows never stay on only reality junk or shows that are no good… Only things kids like not adults that are over 50 and up… Go figure, yet we spend way more money and have a much more disposable income, but are thought much less of… Just saying, but who is listening not the TV executives – for sure!!! By the way I will not be watching Katie Couric nor any other talk show! However, I did enjoy the SOAPS they take us away and we know they are not real and do not pretend to be, but they are all going away… I think it is a mistake, but they did not ask me!

10. beverly says

I’ll watch them whatever time they come on. have watched them for years. too bad one show can foul up the whole system. i will not watch katy curic

11. Cindy says

I think they should leave General Hospital on at 3:00 and put Katie on at 2:00.I have watched GH for many of years.Why change the spot.

12. Bethany says

There are so few soaps left on the air. Personally, I have not watched this show regularly since Luke & Laura back in the early 80’s. But I am glad that it has simply moved and not gone away completely. As a lifelong Days fan (And before that Search for Tomorrow, and somewhere in there Generations, and Sunset Beach, and Passions… Notice the trend is all NBC) I am just glad to see that the few remaining shows on the air are getting the respect that they deserve. If soaps were not on the air, there would be many hours a day that nobody would bother watching tv.

13. says

I definitely will watch General Hospital at its new time one of the best shows, thanks for not cancelling show. But I have 1 question is it going to be Katie Couric or Good Afternoon American with Laura Spencer?