Ghost Whisperer: Series Ending Bothers Jennifer Love Hewitt

Ghost WhispererIt’s been many months now since CBS cancelled Ghost Whisperer. Many fans of the TV show are still shocked and upset about the cancellation and series star Jennifer Love Hewitt can sympathize.

In a recent interview with Zap2it, Hewitt revealed that she bought into the rumors that ABC might pick it up and talked about Ghost Whisperer’s abrupt end. She said, “For me, it was a total shock… I thought our next season probably would be the last, just because the show had been on for a really long time. It’s hard to come up with new things that will keep people intrigued, but I never thought in a million years that was going to have been our last season..”

Hewitt also expressed sadness about the fact that the story of Melinda Gordon was left unfinished. She noted, “I didn’t feel the series ended the way that [Melinda] deserved for it to. We left the audience sort of hanging, and I hate that. When you’ve taken people on a journey for so long, the least you can do is give them a goodbye. For a show that was about unfinished business, we didn’t get to finish.”

What do you think? What “unfinished business” bothers you the most about the show? How would you have ended Ghost Whisperer?

Bailey Perkins May 24, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Put The Show Back On The Air Nowww!

Misty Nelson May 18, 2011 at 1:05 am

I just don’t understand. It’s ridiculous they won’t let the show come back. Jennifer is right. It was left unfinished. It’s not fair to the audience.

Tania May 16, 2011 at 8:22 am

I have voiced my opinion a number of times on this page and again i still think it’s not to late to bring the show back for a least another season. I hate to see it end at all but I would dead the show with something like how Charmed and Notebook ended theirs. I would show Melinda and Jim old with Grandchildren around and Jim goes to take Melinda to lay down cause she doesn’t feel well and then she goes to only have Jim lay next to her and he let’s himself go rather be without her. Then show Melinda going into the light for to experience what she’s helped so many to enter. Whild entering everyone that she has ever helped comes and greets her at the light!

ara May 7, 2011 at 2:11 am

I miss ghost whisperer :( I hope some other network can pick it up. Great acting, terrific storyline!

Tina May 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I just rewatched every single episode on netflix with my family over time and even my 5 year old is upset that the show is “no more”! Please bring back Ghost Whisperer and at least end it right!

John D. White May 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Seriously CBS? I will say that when this show was actually on TV, I didn’t watch it. I was too busy watching Charmed and Buffy to bother changing the channel. Two years later, after the last season was aired, I finally sat down and watched every season. FANTASTIC!!! Incredible story-line, actors and producing on Hewitt’s part. You could tell that the writers were stretching with the whole, Jim/Sam identity crisis, as well as the 5 year jump with Aiden, but regardless, the show should have aired at least one more season. In the entire last season, (until the last episode), I was glued to Netflix trying to figure out the next plot twist. For the show to have ended on such a bland note, is not acceptable. Yes, the shinies did outnumber the shadows, but who is not to say there couldn’t have been a bigger, badder, ultimate evil using the shadows while seeking the demise of Melinda Gordon and her loved ones? It is a shame this show was canceled for reality TV. BLEH!
BRING BACK GHOST WHISPERER!!!

AnnMarie Rodriguez May 4, 2011 at 7:47 am

I must say it had been one of the most wonderful rides I’ve ever taken. This show was the best. and the stories lines,How it was all put together wonderful job but, not to have an ending I agree they should have givien us one. The people who look forward in seeing what comes up next and to see Jennifer week after week It’s what I lived for. I love her acting. CBS made a very bad mistake in letting go one of the best shows on TV. All the great shows get cancled and then we get these stupid shows that I don’t even care to watch. I will band myself from watching any TV shows on CBS. Jennifer, You did great and thank you for “The Ghost Whisper”, It will always be my favrite show of all time, really. Ann Marie Rodriguez

Nikki H. April 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I hate that this show ended. I want answers to the questions that were started in the first couple of seasons! C’mon CBS, this sucks! I just want one more season to wrap this stuff up. We, the fans who have followed the show since Day 1, deserve a “true end”.

Shannon B. April 23, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I do not appreciate the way CBS ended GW. My family and I loved watching the series and to have it end without a proper ending is, in my opinion, just bad business. It makes this consumer/customer skeptical to spend my time watching other TV series’. With all the terrible TV programming geared for impressionable teenagers and glorifying stupid, bad and/or raunchy behavior pretty much makes me want to CANCEL my TV service. Maybe I will for summer and blog about it…. Are you listening CBS?

John S. April 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

What bothers me is that it lasted as long as it did in the first place. Talk about a waste of an hour.

Scott April 8, 2011 at 11:31 am

WOW! I TELL YOU WHAT, YOU FRONT OFFICE PEOPLE CAN’T BE VERY SMART, I MEAN CANCELING YOUR BEST SHOW LIKE GHOST WHISPERER! YOU MUST BE SOME REALLY DUMB PEOPLE RUNNING CBS THESE DAYS. YOU ALL JUST NEED TO BRING IT BACK, THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT LIKES THAT SHOW, AND IF YOUR TO DUMB TO REALIZE IT, I’M ONE OF THEM, SO BRING IT BACK AND PUT IT BACK ON THE AIR!

Mike April 4, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Actually, I thought it was a great finale. The season’s storyline was wrapped up and everything was in order, and there was no last-minute cliffhanger. It didn’t feel like a true “series finale,” but at least it ended on a nice note. I don’t feel left hanging at all, the way I have been with other shows canceled before their time.

Nancy March 17, 2011 at 7:29 am

I loved Jay Mohr but Jamie Kennedy did a great job too. I just liked Rick’s sarcastic style a bit better. What drove me crazy was the sudden jump in less than a minute from Aiden’s birth to 5 years old!! That was as bad as Dallas writing off a whole season as a dream!! I really miss the show, it was so imaginative! However, another major slip up the writers made in that last season was the fact that “Jim” was still in Sam’s body and yet you notice at that point they were both introducing him as Jim, not Sam. What, did his looks and the entire town’s perception of him suddenly change?? Regardless of the quality (or maybe lack thereof, of the last season) I still loved the show!

Mindy March 15, 2011 at 2:26 am

It has been months and I am still upset. The article is correct. I do think we do deserve a better ending than the one they threw together at the last minute. I have nothing against the actor playing Aiden, however, it was Aiden that was the cause of the demise of the show. At the end of the season, every one was expecting them to start the next season with a baby/new born, not a 5 year old. I think fans adapted to the fact that Jim was killed, but we still got to see glimpses of him. Not very idealistic. There are many ways they could have wrote it differently but in turn it was the writers who cancelled the show. I would not be happy with an “alternate” ending, because that would leave me with wanting more. I loved my Friday nights 7pm time slot, never missed an episode. This thread/article was written in January, but is still in the back of my mind in March 2011. That does say a lot for the fans that were left with a lot of unanswered questions. And I also want to mention that Jamie Kennedy played a role in the demise of the show as well. You start changing up the actors after the first 4 or 5 seasons, they are the reason that people fell in love with the show to begin with. And then you take them away like the great Jay Mohr. We don’t know the reasons for them leaving the show. But whatever the reason, all the tiny changes resulted in the cancellation of the show. I think they could go a few years, and leave us with re-runs. As I too, sit and watch each re-run, hoping that they are going off the ratings, and decide to give it another chance. And pick up where they left off. But, let’s hope they don’t wait that long-if they do ever bring it back. I will be there to give my ratings!

Joni March 7, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I loved that show and looked forward to it every Friday night. I do feel that Jim and Melinda having a child was a great idea but I believe the story line that added their son was not very interesting. I love Jim and Melinda and the whole thing. I wish it was still on and the way it ended with no “closure” was pretty bad. All us Ghost Whisperer fans should have been worth something!