Ghost Whisperer: Has ABC Saved the Jennifer Love Hewitt Series?

Ghost WhispererLast week CBS cancelled Ghost Whisperer after five seasons on the air. Almost immediately, there was word that ABC might save the TV show. Now, word is spreading that the deal is done. Is it?

In Ghost Whisperer, Melinda Gordon (Jennifer Love Hewitt) has the ability to see and talk to people who’ve died. Regular castmembers over the past five seasons have included David Conrad, Camryn Manheim, Jay Mohr, Aisha Tyler, Christoph Sanders, Jamie Kennedy, and Kenneth Mitchell.

CBS cancelled the TV show because viewership has fallen quite a bit this season. Ordinarily, ABC wouldn’t have any interest in saving the TV show up but the network co-produces Ghost Whisperer and would share in the profits from another season of episodes going into syndication.

While ABC is still supposedly interested in picking up the show, it hasn’t happened yet. Some websites are saying that it has been picked up, seemingly due to some telephone game-like reporting.

TV show supportKennedy, Hewitt’s boyfriend and co-star, was asked about the possibility of ABC picking up the series. He said, “They are talking about it, so that’s cool. We haven’t exactly gone into the light, we haven’t crossed over, but we’ve got some life.” The headline on WENN’s brief story reads, ABC Chiefs Giving Ghost Whisperer a Lifeline.

Some sites, including Perez Hilton, apparently have misinterpreted “lifeline” in the headline to mean that ABC has already agreed to pick up the show. While ABC may bring Ghost Whisperer back for season six, they haven’t agreed to do it just yet.

What do you think? Will ABC save Ghost Whisperer or is it just wishful thinking?

Peg Rogers October 3, 2010 at 5:20 pm

My husband & I are faithful Ghost Whisperer watchers. We look forward all week long to watching Ghost Whisperer on Friday night at 8PM. My husband calls the show “Boobs”
On Friday mornings I’ll say Boobs is on tonight!
We’ve been wondering what happened to the show and Friday nights aren’t the same anymore. You brought back Medium why not Ghost Whisperer????????

Two unhappy viewers in Pasadena, Ca.

Darlene October 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm

OH! MY! WHAT A SHOCK WHEN A WORK MEMBER TOLD ME THE SHOW WAS CANCELLED! I LOOKED FOR IT ON FRIDAY NIGHT OCTOBER 1, 2010 . PLEASE BRING IT BACK , THERE IS TOO MANY COURT SHOWS, AND VIOLENCE!!!!!! WHY DO ALL THE GOOD SHOWS GO AWAY !!!!!!!!!

Rosemarie September 30, 2010 at 8:26 pm

ABC PLEASE PICH UP GHOST WHISPERERS. IT IS THE ONLY PROGRAM OF ITS KIND. THE VERY VERY BEST OF ITS KIND. WE NEED THIS PROGRAM. PLEASE BRING GHOST WHISPERERS BACK. ABC

K September 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

PLEASE??? PRETTY PLEASE?? Bring back GW! I have to admit I didn’t watch it on Fridays at 8, but I always TIVO’d it. I have watched every episode at least 3 times….I love this show. Someone please pick it up? This is such an uplifting show, made you laugh, and cry all at the same time. It’s way better than any reality show. Please please please bring it back!!

Brittany September 30, 2010 at 9:06 am

GHOST WHISPERER WAS ONE OF THOSE SHOWS THAT MOST EVERYONE CAN RELATE TO. IT WAS (AND IS) A GREAT SHOW. DON NOT TAKE IT OFF THE AIR COMPLETELY-ABC….TAKE THIS SHOW UNDER YOUR WING AND IT WILL SOAR!! IN AN AGE WHERE EVERYONE HAS TIVO OR DVR EQUIPMENT, HOW CAN A NETWORK SAY THAT IT IS NOT DOING WELL OR TANKING IN THE RATINGS DEPARTMENT? JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE DO NOT ALWAYS GET A CHANCE TO SIT DOWN AND WATCH IT THE MOMENT IT COMES ON, DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE NOT WATCHING IT AT SOME POINT. PEOPLE HAVE JOBS, LIVES….THIS IS WHY MAN INVENTED DVR AND TIVO-SO PEOPLE CAN LIVE THEIR LIVES AND STILL WATCH THEIR PROGRAMS.
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ABC PICK UP THIS SHOW AND AIR THE SHOWS SIXTH SEASON! HAVING SIX SEASONS SHOULD TELL YOU GUYS SOMETHING…..IF ITS LASTED THIS LONG, THEN CHANCES ARE….PEOPLE ARE WATCHING IT!!! INSTEAD OF PUTTING MORE CRAP ON TV LIKE THE PLETHERA OF “REALITY SHOWS” WHY DONT YOU LLISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY WATCH WHAT YOU AIR….GHOST WHISPERER HAS TO COME BACK NOW!! ITS TIME!!

jac September 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm

What’s with CBS and the rest of you Big Boys? Don’t you realize the impact television has on global society? What you put on the tube affects us all not just your pockets. Go to the vaults with your writers. Watch and learn from the original greats, breathing life into the genius of the print they were handed (March, Greenstreet, Robinson, Douglas, Tracy, Fonda, Portiae, Tierney, Stewart, Hope, Monjue, Lawton, Langcaster, Lourie, Heston, Taylor, Burton, Reins, Massey, Barthalemew, Robison, Chaney, Bogart, Barrymore, Brenner,Lansbury etc,etc.). Don’t continue to show thoughtless, self degrading programs with young actors trying to build careers through primetime nakedness, violence, vulgarety,lack of intellegence and no compassion.You have wonderful brains,ladies & gentlemen use them. Please Remember that YOU ARE EDUCATING a NATION and world. … Respectfully, JAC..
Ghost Whisperer was one of the few good shows. Hope you really think about bringing it back.

Mary September 28, 2010 at 9:47 am

I love that show..I can’t believe they would do that. New shows that are on now SUCK and yet they keep on playing them. I loved it so much that once I couldn’t rent the one episode and had to see it that I bought the whole season..bring it back I say this is craziness

kathy September 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm

save ghost whisperer ABC, put it back on tv

Kathleen Lutz September 27, 2010 at 10:45 am

Please bring Ghost Whisperer back! It was one of the few “regular network” programs that I watched with any regularity. Family friendly for the most part and with a great message in most episodes. PLEASE ABC!!!

Kayla September 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I loved all of the seasons and I would love it some channel would pick it up! :(

Lisa Roberts September 26, 2010 at 2:01 am

This is just getting totally ridiculous! Why don’t I just hand the networks a list of the shows I watch each season (which is usually between 50-60) so they can just break my heart all at once. I do not believe that Ghost Whisperer ratings dropped so much that it warrants the shows cancellation. No way! Pretty soon all my shows will be gone and all that’ll be left are those cheesy reality shows I all around avoid. Please keep Ghost Whisperer on the air , paleez !

Ashley September 25, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Ghost Whisperer has to come back on! PLEASE ABC pick it up! It’s a great show.

K Moss September 24, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I can’t belive they cancelled it. This is just horrible. I love Ghost Whisperer. I laughed and I cried, it just a great show. Please ABC bring it back.

Kevin H September 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm

PLEASE… bring it back; I was o so waiting for it to come on…I’m so upset that it may not be… ABC you have an audience and we will be tuning in. PROMIS!!! I have not missed 1 episode EVER!!! I look forward to watch, and always record and watch again and again, a great show with warmth, family, love and hope & hope is what this show is all about. LOVE IT>> PLEASE ABC BING IT BACK, please, please, please!!
KH

Liz 14 September 25, 2010 at 8:30 am

OMG i know how you feel Jennifer is my hero i LOVE the Gost Whisperer it was the show i have been waiting all summer to see come back. And i have been watching every singelre run on CBS at 4:00 if they take those re runs away i’ll cry.

lynn September 24, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I say to everyone who is a true fan of GHOST WHISPERS dont watch anything on CBS or ABC…..I lost a family member and was going to give up on life but then i started watching ghost whispers and it realy helped bring me back to life. Now i have nothing i sware all CBS AND ABC want is money the hake with what real people think