Ghost Whisperer: Staying Cancelled, No Season Six on ABC

Ghost WhispererA staple of CBS’ Friday night schedule, ratings for Ghost Whisperer have dropped quite a bit over the season. Last week, the network surprised many viewers by cancelling the TV show after five seasons. The blow was softened when it was learned that the series might get a second chance on ABC. The alphabet network has now apparently passed.

Starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ghost Whisperer began in September 2005 and ran for 107 episodes. The series’ regular cast has also included David Conrad, Christoph Sanders, Jamie Kennedy, Camryn Manheim, Aisha Tyler, and Jay Mohr.

Things had been looking positive for the series to continue and some outlets actually had even reported that the show had been picked up. Unfortunately, the deal didn’t work out.

We may never know the details but Ghost Whisperer executive producers Kim Moses and Ian Sander issued a statement that said, “After five wonderful seasons and over 100 episodes, we are disappointed to announce Ghost Whisperer will not be returning for a sixth season. We’ve had an incredible experience and owe a debt of gratitude to everyone involved. We continue our relationship with ABC Studios and look forward to developing many more successful projects together in the future.”

While it looks like Heroes and Law & Order will get some closure, there’s been no word on any plans to go back into production and wrap up Ghost Whisperer.

What do you think? Sad to see it go? How would you have ended Melinda’s story?

Canceled and renewed TV show

576 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Sylvia says

This sucks so bad!!! Why in the world and who in the world thought it would be a good idea to cancel the show? The show was great probably one of the best in a long time! I love the characters and how far melinda has gone. Even though the problems are not always relatable there is always a great moral to the episodes, not to mention melinda and jim’s relationship is so amazing. The show ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO COME BACK!!!

2. racquel says

I’m from the philippines, and i really enjoyed watching this series hope the management consider another chance to this very exciting series.

3. Breanna says

Ok they cancled both of my favorite Friday night shows!! Medium and ghost whisperer!!! WTF! I mean they bring out all these crappy shows and kill the good ones!! Please bring them back for atleast 1 more season!! Please! Make an 11 year old girl happy for once!!!

4. Sharon says

I can not believe that the boneheads cancelled Ghost Whisperer. They need to bring it back!!! If for some reason I was home, I would record it so that I wouldn’t miss a thing.

5. Mary says

Hi. I agree with you all. I think they should make a season 6 and others seasons as well. CBS did a bad thing by canceling this show. Goes to show you that they don’t care about what we as viewers want. All they care about is themselves. I just found out about this series this last summer. I have watched every rerun that has played. There are many more people like me out there who have just found out about this show. I think that they should bring the show back with the same cast. I hope CBS reads this blog and knows how much they have let the viewers down.

6. JJ says

My whole family is very upset about this. My husband and I started watching and we got the rest of the family hooked. We even buy the seasons after we already watch everthing that how much we like it. I agree with everyone else at least have a season 6 to wrap up loss ends. Never understood, you cancelle good show’s to put crap on…..

7. says

I am very upset….Ghost whisperer was one of my favorite shows,and after five seasons
    they cant even have a series finale for its loyal viewers….thats bulls#&%….I am boycotting CBS….

8. Heather says

Very disappointed that the ghost whisperer is cancelled…i looked forward to watching a new show every friday night! how could you cut the season when Melinda/jenifer was just finding everything out. There was so much more to learn in more epis0des. The show should most definitely COME BACK!!!

9. Tasha says

this is so bull…i mean you can at least wrap the show up. i love ghost whisper. when charmed was canceled i looked for another show to get hooked on and ghost whisper was perfect. i mean medium is no where aven close to being as good as ghost whisper. please just bring it back. even if its just to wrap up all the loose ends. dont leave the show in the air with no answers.