Ghost Whisperer: Staying Cancelled, No Season Six on ABC

Ghost WhispererA staple of CBS’ Friday night schedule, ratings for Ghost Whisperer have dropped quite a bit over the season. Last week, the network surprised many viewers by cancelling the TV show after five seasons. The blow was softened when it was learned that the series might get a second chance on ABC. The alphabet network has now apparently passed.

Starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ghost Whisperer began in September 2005 and ran for 107 episodes. The series’ regular cast has also included David Conrad, Christoph Sanders, Jamie Kennedy, Camryn Manheim, Aisha Tyler, and Jay Mohr.

Things had been looking positive for the series to continue and some outlets actually had even reported that the show had been picked up. Unfortunately, the deal didn’t work out.

We may never know the details but Ghost Whisperer executive producers Kim Moses and Ian Sander issued a statement that said, “After five wonderful seasons and over 100 episodes, we are disappointed to announce Ghost Whisperer will not be returning for a sixth season. We’ve had an incredible experience and owe a debt of gratitude to everyone involved. We continue our relationship with ABC Studios and look forward to developing many more successful projects together in the future.”

While it looks like Heroes and Law & Order will get some closure, there’s been no word on any plans to go back into production and wrap up Ghost Whisperer.

What do you think? Sad to see it go? How would you have ended Melinda’s story?

Canceled and renewed TV show

573 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Maria says

Huge cliffhanger! If Ghost Whisperer season 6 were to continue I would be ecstatic. I can’t live without Ghost Whisperer, they should at least get a proper ending for it.

• Lois Jeater says

I really hope that this show comes back. It was so refreshing to have a show that was so different than the other shows that are repeatedly thrown in our faces these days. Networks seem to think they know what we want and give us junk food tv which makes me not want to watch tv these days. I think if they compared their rating to now and if they put ghost whisperer back for more seasons they would be very much surprised

2. Lois Jeater says

I loved this show so much was shocked when I heard it got cancelled. I wondered of rick Payne would come back after all he did say he would be back. I would also have loved to have seen aiden grow up and see what his powers would do. This was the only show that I wouldn’t miss no matter what!!!!! I now own all the seasons on dvd and feel so angry and frustrated that ghist whisperer ended on a cliff hanger. Comon CBS a new year PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK

3. Amy says

I agree that this show should continue til the end. If anyone out there is interested in starting a petition to bring this show back I would be glad to be the first to sign 😀

4. says

Oh my I seem to be the last one two know about this. I have been looking foward to the new season so long, after haveing my first child I lost track for a while. I dont understand how you can finish on Season 5 we need a nicer end to the series. Not that I ever want thier to be a end, but if thiers no choice give the show a chance to end xith a big finally. The show and the viewers deserve that atleast. Please reconsider, someone must want to air the show. Keep trying. Thiers alot of sad viewers that have been waiting.

• Anonymous says

I was so sad to see this wonderful series end. I looked forward to every episode and now own all five seasons on DVD. It was full of hope, love, and tackled some tough issues that we all can relate to, especially if you have lost someone close and would love just one more conversation with them. I wondered if Rick Payne would return, or if Aisha Tyler would come back and help Melinda. Imagine what Melinda and Aiden could have done together. Please bring it back!!!

5. julz says

I agree with all of you they need to bring ghost whisperer back. It has a great story line and I think you guys couldve made a season 6 there is so much stories to tel in ghost whisperer I LOVED IT and its the only series that is so interesting. Please make a season 6

6. Savannah says

I can’t bear to see this show go, it is my only favorite show and my sister and I watched it everyday. I’ve never seen a show that can actually put me in tears through every episode! Bring it back PLEASE!

7. Alyce says

I think you guys need to put Ghost Whisperer back on the air! Jennifer Love Hewitt is amazing and so the show may seem a little repetitive but aren’t your crime scene shows too? Small differences in crimes or murders but they generally all end the same…they get caught, locked up and then it shows the credits. Whoopy. Law and Order is the worst its the same thing over and over again, literally there are minute differences. Boring. But Ghost Whisperer is a womans show, emotion, love, tears, and a little action. I get so captivated by her Jens work in her show that I want to watch more and more of it. Its a magnificent show, and I don’t think it should have ever been cancelled. Yes, sure, ratings may have dropped but look at the 8.6 million people that you DID upset or piss off, or make incredibly sad. That, I think, is much worse than than the “poor ratings” you were receiving by keeping it on the air. Im also very upset about OLTL……WE WANT GHOST WHISPERER BACK PLEASE!?!

8. chantel says

This is one of the best shows on tv. It should not be cancelled. There is a cartoon that the parents are gay. So why can we not get more episodes of a much better show that i would rather watch?I been waiting for season 6 an now there will be none. What is wrong with those producers!