Glee: Premiere Brings Mixed Ratings, Keep It or Cancel It?

GleeFOX’s much-hyped preview of Glee aired in a coveted position, following the second-to-last American Idol of the season. In that plum timeslot, how well did Glee perform do? Will the musical comedy stick around?

Glee follows the administrators and the members of a formerly top show choir at a fictional Ohio high school. A young teacher (Broadway’s Matthew Morrison) offers to take over leading the group to try to return them to their former glory. Other castmembers include Jayma Mays, Chris Colfer, Amber Riley, Kevin McHale, Jenna Ushkowitz, Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Dianna Agron, Mark Salling, Jessalyn Gilsig, and Jane Lynch.

The series debuted to an average of 9.6 million viewers with a 3.9 rating among adults 18-49. Those numbers sound okay on their own but, when you dig deeper, it’s a different tune. The show’s American Idol lead-in attracted 23.8 million viewers with an 8.6 rating in the demo. About half as many people tuned in to watch Glee and then, by the second half hour, another three million tuned out.

Should Glee be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FOX execs have to be disappointed considering the great Idol lead-in and all of the promotion that the network has poured into it. The show has already secured a spot on FOX’s Fall schedule as the network’s only new drama. It’ll definitely be back. But, if the debut is any indication of the show’s future, you have to wonder, for how long?

According to FOX spokesperson Joe Earley, the network is pleased with the show’s average performance. He tells the Hollywood Reporter, “The measurement for success last night was never about the demo rating… We’re definitely happy with the way Glee performed, we knew how tough the competition was going to be, last night was a marketing experiment and we got almost 10 million people to see it, which is fantastic. We could work all summer long marketing the show and not get those many people, and certainly not in the fall.”

So, what do you think? Worth keeping or should it be cancelled?

Anonymous November 22, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I LUV GLEE! I CANT BELIEVE GWEN MOVED IN TO FINS HOUSE CAUSE HER PARENTS KICKED HER OUT. I WONDER WHEN MR.SHOE WILL FIND OUT HIS WIFE IS NOT HAVING A BABY. HE DESERVES BETTER THAN THAT BRAT.

Caroline December 3, 2009 at 1:11 pm

No offense but it’s Quin not Gwen.

audra November 15, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I LOVE GLEE! I WAITED AND WAITED FOR THE FALL DEBUT! I HAD IT ON MY CALANDER SINCE AMERCIAN IDOL… I CANT SEEM TO MANAGE TO STAY UP ON WED NITE WHEN IT AIRS.. I WATCH BY COMPUTER ON SUNDAYS AFTER FOOTBALL.. IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS THAT GWEN’S SECRET HAS NOT BEEN REVEALED!!! SO DOES WATCHING ONLINE COUNT INTO THOSE RATINGS FOX PEOPLE??? PLEASE DONT CANCEL MY SHOW

Alex November 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm

i love glee and im kinda worried cause it hasn’t been on the last 2 weeks

Caroline December 3, 2009 at 1:13 pm

thats because of the baseball world series! Me 2 though I was worried until I found it out.. :)

Christopher Ho November 6, 2009 at 11:36 pm

This is another example of how HULU is killing network ratings. If you ask me, would i stay tuned in for an entire hour for this show with commercials. Heck no! Hell, I wouldn’t stay tuned for any show nowadays for an entire hour. That’s what HULU is for! You see, the plain fact is that GLEE is a great show. However, it is an hour long show. What network executives need to realize is that they are dumping their money into the wrong outlet. All that money spent on advertising, marketing, and research should have told them that normal TV is dying! No one these days watches TV. More and more people are turning to websites like HULU, to watch their shows. Why not advertise more on HULU and make HULU have their advertisers pay more to have their ads placed on a highly rated, popular shows such as GLEE, in order to get more publicity. That way everyone is happy. The advertisers pay HULU and HULU pays the FOX network. There is even TIVO where people are fast forwarding through commercials. Therefore, those people at FOX should stop complaining about poor ratings and recognize that GLEE is a great show but just not great enough for tuners to stay watching for an entire hour undisrupted. Web TV is the future get with the program.

Lisa November 3, 2009 at 12:43 pm

It is their real voices! I did theater with matt ( the glee teacher) growing up and that is his real voice. This show has so much talent! I do wish they would put more into the script. The musical numbers r fun to watch and I love the mixture of show tunes with today top hits. But, for the veiwers who aren’t into musical theater, they need a better script to follow. I know the cast can handle it because the talent is amazing!

kate November 2, 2009 at 11:05 pm

you know, it would be great to have a show where the cast actually knows how to sing….and it’s their real voices!!!!! then I’d be so stoked and inspired. this show is cheezy and mildly entertaining..and I definitely like it…but I’ll never love it unless they really sing…the lip sync sections make me cringe

alice October 31, 2009 at 9:34 am

I LOOOOOOVE THAT SHOW!!
i can’t beleive they are even asking the question should we keep it or not. WE THE PEOPLE SHOULD KEEP IT!

Sweetha Jesudasen October 30, 2009 at 5:44 pm

This is the BEST SHOW EVER!!
aLTHOugh there is a downside, after watcing the first few episodez, I am OBSESSED!!
Like seriously the show is amazing, it has everythin a good show should have!
Amazing songs and dances that r relevant 2 teenz and Parentz!!
The last ep waz amazin, I <3333333 Racheal, she is hilariuos!!
GOD i hope this show lastz Forever, seriously if FOX cancelz it i will botcott!!

GLEE=MY LIFE <3333333333333

Randi October 29, 2009 at 10:06 am

You MUST keep GLEE You MUST keep GLEE You MUST keep GLEE

You MUST keep GLEE You MUST keep GLEE You MUST keep GLEE

You Must keep GLEE You MUST keep GLEE You MUST keep GLEE

Jim K. October 27, 2009 at 12:19 am

I hope they don’t cancel this show….. its the only show these days that I really get a good laugh watching…. the singing/dancing is awesome….

You got me hooked! I’M A GLEEK!!!

R Morgan October 25, 2009 at 2:10 pm

If they cancel it I will seriously ban Fox Television from my house… I LOVE this show. It’s so awesome, how can they even consider canceling it when most peoples responses is that it’s so addicting and good.? And plus, even if people don’t watch it on TV, hello, they have it on there site with less commercials! That’s how I watch it. Also, even if some people say they don’t like it, you know how people are, they say that because they don’t want to be judged for watching the show (not that watching it is degrading or anything). I think that Fox should keep it. It is a simply magnificent show.

Melodie October 25, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I love this show so much!!!!!

r shuman October 24, 2009 at 4:50 pm

PLEASE KEEP IT!!

danielle October 23, 2009 at 8:03 am

GLEE IS AMAZING.

whatever, its not for everyone.
i get that.

at first i wasnt sure about the show.
but i LOVE IT!

i hope they keep it forever.
KEEP GLEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew October 14, 2009 at 4:12 pm

AWESOME SERIES PERIOD. If FOX cancels it. I’ll Boy-cot House and American Idol and even set up a hate site over corporate fox to get them to stop canceling awesome shows. AKA: ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, FAMILY GUY ( the first time) and numerous other shows I got into only to have them ripped away! KEEP THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!