Glee: Premiere Brings Mixed Ratings, Keep It or Cancel It?

GleeFOX’s much-hyped preview of Glee aired in a coveted position, following the second-to-last American Idol of the season. In that plum timeslot, how well did Glee perform do? Will the musical comedy stick around?

Glee follows the administrators and the members of a formerly top show choir at a fictional Ohio high school. A young teacher (Broadway’s Matthew Morrison) offers to take over leading the group to try to return them to their former glory. Other castmembers include Jayma Mays, Chris Colfer, Amber Riley, Kevin McHale, Jenna Ushkowitz, Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Dianna Agron, Mark Salling, Jessalyn Gilsig, and Jane Lynch.

The series debuted to an average of 9.6 million viewers with a 3.9 rating among adults 18-49. Those numbers sound okay on their own but, when you dig deeper, it’s a different tune. The show’s American Idol lead-in attracted 23.8 million viewers with an 8.6 rating in the demo. About half as many people tuned in to watch Glee and then, by the second half hour, another three million tuned out.

Should Glee be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FOX execs have to be disappointed considering the great Idol lead-in and all of the promotion that the network has poured into it. The show has already secured a spot on FOX’s Fall schedule as the network’s only new drama. It’ll definitely be back. But, if the debut is any indication of the show’s future, you have to wonder, for how long?

According to FOX spokesperson Joe Earley, the network is pleased with the show’s average performance. He tells the Hollywood Reporter, “The measurement for success last night was never about the demo rating… We’re definitely happy with the way Glee performed, we knew how tough the competition was going to be, last night was a marketing experiment and we got almost 10 million people to see it, which is fantastic. We could work all summer long marketing the show and not get those many people, and certainly not in the fall.”

So, what do you think? Worth keeping or should it be cancelled?

Anonymous June 9, 2010 at 12:42 pm

They can NOT cancel the show that would be a SIN! Glee is AMAZING and I don’t understand how some people don’t agree!

tamika May 23, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Cancel it PLEASE!!! or at least change the ugly name “Glee”

Jesse March 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Glee is lame…I’ve watched it and can never get into it. I hope it really gets cancelled. If you want to know what a good show is watch… House, SVU, NCIS, How I met your mother, 2 1/2 men, Psych, Royal Pains… wow even The Office is better than this garbage that you all call glee. Cancel it!!!!!!!

Melit February 13, 2010 at 11:35 am

I am an African American Female who will be 40 this year and I love this show, I love that they deal with every day life, I love the performances, I love the versatility of the music, this show is the greatest, so please please don’t mess up a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!

Gleefails January 12, 2010 at 2:50 pm

It should be cancelled.
Its stupid and pathetic.
Put something worth watching on Fox for once!

DonCab March 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm

HELL YEAH CANCEL THAT POS OF A SHOW… IT’S RIDICULOUSLY STUPID!

Kelia April 4, 2010 at 9:32 am

OHEMGEE I EFFIN LOVE GLEE !! IN FACT THE NEW SEASON STARTS IN APRIL !!! I LOVE THIS SHOW ! ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS EVER ! :) KEEP GLEE GOING !!!

ashley January 4, 2010 at 5:14 pm

i would be so upset. you have NO ideaaa
they better not cancel Glee.
and its a musical show so just thinkkk about
all the hard work they put into this….
omggg i cant believe it when people say they dont like it.
but the stupid thing is that they say that but then admit
that theyve never seen it. and ive seen
people convert to gleeism after watching an episode.
me included[: not that i thought it was a fail but
i wasnt in the mood for a musical show.
and i didnt think itd have a great plot
but omgggg it doesss<3
why oh whyyy do people not want glee :/
it doesnt make sense….

Jenn December 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm

HELL NO!! You can’t get rid of “GLEE” . It is one of the best TV shows out there. I look forward to watching it every night, and I am soo glad the kids won at sectionals and that Mr. Shue FINALLY left his wife and went for Emma!!! They make the cutest couple!! PLEASE..Don’t get rid of this show. It teaches kids to have self confidence, self respect and among everything…if you believe it will happen.

ashley January 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm

yesss!

Anonymous December 15, 2009 at 6:54 pm

NOOOO.
i love this show!

saul December 13, 2009 at 9:55 pm

I don’t get it.
I watch on the fox web site.
If I watched on my T.V. they wouldn’t know I was watching and therefore my not watching on the T.V. should not effect what ever ratings the show gets.
On the other hand my watching on the computer should if anything should help the show.
To watch you have to click on to their site and you get the video streamed on line to your computer.
As a result they would know that you are watching the show.
They do advertise so I don’t see why watching on the computer should be a problem.
Anyway it is a good show, one of the better ones and therefore it should be kept.

Laura December 11, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I love GLEE. It’s entertaining, mindless and plus I love most of the song selections!

alnagelski December 10, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Dude. If iTunes is going to charge 50 dollars for the season pass, there better be more than 14 episodes.

admin December 10, 2009 at 3:38 pm

@alnagelski: The season is being broken up into two parts. The rest will air starting in April 2010 (a looong time to wait).

Danni December 10, 2009 at 4:21 am

Keep Glee!!! I’m from Australia and we also have glee here I love it it’s such a great show.

Julie December 8, 2009 at 4:35 pm

DEFINITELY KEEP!

I go to a performing arts college, and every Wednesday night, my entire building shows up in our commons room to watch Glee! It’s nice to have a TV show that finally focuses on a aspects of life other than careless hookups, drugs, and neighborhood gossip. Especially for those of us who are in the performing arts in real life. Finally, something we can relate to!

lauren December 6, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I LOVE GLEE!!! I don’t get to watch it when it comes on Wednesday, but I always make sure I watch it on the COMPUTER when I get the chance!!! I REALLY HOPE IT COMES BACK ON… WE NEED MORE SHOWS LIKE THIS!!!

Caroline December 3, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I would consider it a crime to do that. This show means everything to me. It’s way better than american idol. I really hate that show now anyways. PLEASE DON’T CANCEL GLEE!!!

~Caroline